Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

VERY SAD about Christmas ... BUT

Poster: A snowHead
For twenty years we have skied for eight weeks a year - my kids have had a white Christmas every year, perched in our old family home in the Valais. We are not going. We could. But we have decided that it is just not right. With ISGHL being implicated as a hub of infection in early 2020, it seems wrong to drive across and then mix with Swiss and German friends in the way we love so much. We think we already have had COVID - in February. We will get vaccinations as soon as we can. Maybe then.....but not now. SAD.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sad Maybe later in the season?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
137,000 people vacinated in the first week in the UK. Very Happy

I calculate there are only 14 million ahead of me in the queue. Imagine phoning up to get vacinated against Covid 19. The answering machine goes " You are thirteen millionith, five hundred and thirty seven thousndth, seven hundren and twenty third in the queue. Do you wish to hold?"

Acually, I am quite optimistic and think my turn will come in late March or April and then we may be able to get away.

Don't give up hope @valais2, you will be back in the mountains - and they are as beautiful in the summer as the winter.

Febuary was very early in the pandemic. How did you think you caught it? I displayed some Covid like sysmptoms in early March, but only for a day or so and since no one around me reported anything I doubt it was Covid.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Could be worse.

You could be... or have a loved alone in a hospital with a pipe down their throat.
Yet, you are SAD because you wont be having a white Christmas in the mountains.

Take care not to choke on your flute of champagne while reading the guardian website on Christmas day.
The NHS staff may be a bit to busy to attend.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Could be worse.

You could be... or have a loved alone in a hospital with a pipe down their throat.

Take care not to choke on your flute of champagne while reading the guardian website on Christmas day.

Its always easy to find someone in a worse position than yourself, whats wrong with some self pity every now and again? Why would a person on a snow forum not be sad they can't have snow for first time in 20 years....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This thread is indeed classic Snowheads. Bit of a brag about having a home in the Alps, telling us all what a huge amount of skiing your darlings get and then finishing by saying what a huge sacrifice you're going to make this year by.....
Shock horror, not driving across to partake in your expensive hobby during lockdown.

Oh the humanity.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mr.Egg,
Quote:

The NHS staff may be a bit to busy to attend

Take care, your halo might slip.
wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@TheGeneralist,
Quote:

This thread is indeed classic Snowheads. Bit of a brag about having a home in the Alps, telling us all what a huge amount of skiing your darlings get

Said the person who announced on here recently that they go on between 5 and 9 ski trips a year.

Take care, your halo might slip. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
why the horrible replies? Just no need for them at all.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I thought the same - tempers seem to be fraying all around at the moment. Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonny996 wrote:
why the horrible replies? Just no need for them at all.
there are a lot of horrible people on snowHeads at the moment, amongst whom Mr Egg is in the vanguard. Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Hurtle....indeed no bragging, we just have a shack on a hill, that's all. Nothing posh. And we have decided not to go precisely because we fear that by going we could contribute to the transmission of COVID. We are not undermining the reality of deaths from COVID, we are responding to it. Listening to the Today programme this morning and hearing the personal account of amputations and sight loss was upsetting and confirmed in my mind that we probably were doing the right thing in not going. We will go again when we feel we can pursue our interests without adverse impact on others.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm with you valais2, Mr Egg is a bit of a numnut, hide posts time methinks. Hope you get some late season skiing in.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
John E - re February - we live and work in a university town with lots of international people coming and going. We had heard reports of the outbreak in China, and were concerned. Just before half term my partner had a horrendous dry cough and when I said have you thought about this new virus she got more than cross with me, dismissing the idea. We drove from here to Switzerland with her hacking all the way, grumbling and complaining with good reason. I thought 'I'm going to get whatever she's got, after her coughing all over me for 18 hours..'. Anyway...she could not ski at all during the week, and was breathless going up the stairs...'. Sofa for a week. I went out with the Groms every day, in brilliant conditions. But on day four I woke with a Headache of the Gods, and skied like a twerp. And coughed like mad for 2 days. And then got better. The Groms were just fine - 15 and 17 years old, no problem. My partner hacked her throat out all the way back in the car, and stumbled into work a week later. Couldn't smell a thing and was deaf as a post. Sound familiar? She was in deep denial, and it was with an inward smile that I heard her say after the Italian evidence that COVID was endemic in January, 'ah...maybe I had COVID'. Er….yes.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
me too.

I got someone doing the right thing, not going away and getting the vaccine, because they recognise the harm that could be done if they think purely about themselves.

Hopefully our heads can get back to normal soon, or at least being nice
snow report
Thanks Paddy - I think that we will try for that. I am staring at our season passes and banging my head slowly and rhythmically against the table.....
snow report
Quote:

Said the person who announced on here recently that they go on between 5 and 9 ski trips a year.

Take care, your halo might slip. wink

No Chance. Never said that. Trips maybe, but not ski trips.
And it would have been fine if someone had ripped the wee wee out of me for saying it.
snow conditions
Generalist....skiing expensive? You should try DH.....
latest report
TheGeneralist wrote:
This thread is indeed classic Snowheads. Bit of a brag about having a home in the Alps, telling us all what a huge amount of skiing your darlings get and then finishing by saying what a huge sacrifice you're going to make this year by.....
Shock horror, not driving across to partake in your expensive hobby during lockdown.

Oh the humanity.

You have to be pretty resentful to read it like that! I just thought 'respect' for doing the right thing.
ski holidays
If someone has a wee bolthole in the alps and goes skiing then this is something I wish I had and all the best to them.

If they don't go because of concern for others then good one them as well.

Some people on here will always find the negative with everything. Some are even bitter at others' success and need to get a life.
snow report
@valais2, Good for you. And I agree some of the responses are both unpleasant and unnecessary. This is, after all, a ski forum so what is strange about someone saying they are sad about not being able to ski?

@Mr.Egg, is consistently unpleasant. Best we all ignore him
snow conditions
I've no problem with the OP's sentiments, but did it really need another thread? There are several already about the upcoming season
ski holidays
Discussion on SHs takes place against a background that we are all supremely priveleged. All poverty and hardship is relative. The kids who are hungry in the UK are kings of the planet compared to many kids in the world. We post about such trials as being held up for a couple of hours at Eurotunnel on our way to the Alps, or not being able to go to the theatre or a concert, or having run out of wine at the most inconvenient moment, or not being good enough at carving turns. Worse things happen too; people die, get properly ill, have heartbreaks of one sort or another. Sometimes we might feel like posting about that stuff, oftentimes we won't, preferring to stick to the trivia. This whole forum is entertainment, after all.

When there are proper substantive arguments, calling for evidence, reasons, analysis, then those topics are fair game for challenge, criticism and questioning. But the other stuff, no. If someone tells us they are fed up because their planned holiday has been cancelled responding that they should think of others who might be in hospital with a tube down their throat is way out of order. Puts me in mind of my fierce and scary Welsh Auntie Dilys, who used to tell us, when we were sitting miserably in front of a plate of too much food that we didn't like, and hadn't asked for, that we must eat it all up and think about the starving children in Africa. Like a Dementor, sucking the joy out....

FWIW I didn't think it warranted a new thread either. wink
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
Could be worse.

This is a ridiculous thing to say the chances of that happening are so incredibly slim probably no more likely than if the op had flu. I know C19 is not a flu and it depends on the risk category of the OP, however, it's still incredibly unlikely. The overwhelming majority only experience mild to moderate symptoms for a few days and get over it so to say the OP is staying at home to avoid a tube down the throat is so basic.

Life is about doing what one enjoys and the OP has every right to be sad not to be doing what they enjoy as a family. Particularly as skiing is low risk.
snow conditions
Quote:

You have to be pretty resentful to read it like that! I just thought 'respect' for doing the right thing.

Quote:

I appreciate that I'm talking about nuances here, and given that this is the SH Form I don't really expect people to understand where I am coming from...
I find the two things above quite strange. In most places it would be assumed as a given that OP would bin his plans. What I find interesting is that people call that out as being worthy of additional respect rather than just baseline human decency.
latest report
Quote:

given that this is the SH Form I don't really expect people to understand where I am coming from...

That's pretty rude, and if it's the case, why bother?
snow report
@pam w, why do any of the usual suspects bother? Because they get their kicks from being nasty, I suppose.
ski holidays
@valais2, I was driving home (not for Christmas) from picking up groceries this morning when I heard the family on the Today programme talking about the father’s experience with Covid, nearly dying, then the ongoing medical issues, and by the time I got home I had tears running down my face.

Completely respect your decision not to go, and the sadness.

It seems it is not taking much to turn the tears on here at the moment. Far smaller issues than the famiky on Today.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@TheGeneralist,
Quote:

No Chance. Never said that. Trips maybe, but not ski trips.
And it would have been fine if someone had ripped the wee wee out of me for saying it

To be fair, you only stated on SnowHeads that you do 5 to 9 foreign trips a year (not just ski trips).

I make no judgement whether that’s bragging or not.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
...Because they get their kicks from being nasty, I suppose.

Spot on!
snow conditions
2 WhatsApps in succession today, first one that my SiL is now on a ventilator due to Covid, unlikely to survive. Second from a mate, do I want to have an afternoon on the champagne as they have friends visiting and staying from south of the border. Says it all really, given they already have a house with 2 transient 20 year olds and both work in the NHS as well. Amazing. EDIT: I'm in Tier3 in Scotland fwiw.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 17-12-20 17:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@orange, Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
latest report
Quote:

Discussion on SHs takes place against a background that we are all supremely priveleged. All poverty and hardship is relative. The kids who are hungry in the UK are kings of the planet compared to many kids in the world. We post about such trials as being held up for a couple of hours at Eurotunnel on our way to the Alps, or not being able to go to the theatre or a concert, or having run out of wine at the most inconvenient moment, or not being good enough at carving turns. Worse things happen too; people die, get properly ill, have heartbreaks of one sort or another. Sometimes we might feel like posting about that stuff, oftentimes we won't, preferring to stick to the trivia. This whole forum is entertainment, after all.

Well said. I suspect many of us are bemoaning not going skiing or not getting outside in general but quietly donating money to the likes of the Trussel Trust. The two are not mutually exclusive.
@valais2, It does indeed sound like you have had Covid, Have you and your partner fully recovered? For 40 odd years I have worked in a University. Every year I go down with a bug as soon as term starts. It's an occupational hazard. This year I was closely supervising practical classes upto the national lockdown in March - no face coverings, no distancing back then.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
I suspect many of us are bemoaning not going skiing or not getting outside in general but quietly donating money to the likes of the Trussel Trust. The two are not mutually exclusive.

+1

Let's be honest, after 9 months, it's only human to be fed up with all the things we had to do without!

Yet we continue to do it because we know it's what we need to.

"The two are not mutually exclusive"!!!

It's perfectly healthy to FEEL. And it's fine by me people talk about how they FEEL honestly, instead of pretending this whole thing is perfectly ok, when it isn't.

We can discussion at length about what people should DO or not do. But stop telling others how they should feel, or not feel. It's not healthy.
snow report
Quote:
I've no problem with the OP's sentiments, but did it really need another thread? There are several already about the upcoming season

It's Christmas. It's time we USUALLY count our blessings. This year, that's a little harder to do as so many of what we normally take for granted were taken away.

Maybe this should be a "Christmas thread" in which we count what we lost and what we still have?
snow report
John E - yes I was doing supervisions and such and generally mixing in the University - lots of contact with people from many nations. And I had done some foreign trips just before Christmas and into New Year - and the moment you go through a big international airport the contacts rack up hugely. Your experience of infections mirrors the data - typically a spike in menningitis in university towns in September-October as people from all over the UK/World come together.

Long term effects on us? Partner's memory is similar to that of someone much older, my sense of smell is non-existent, and think my feet are suffering more than usual mountain biking this year - peripheral blood supply affected - but is this just age or virus, perception or real change? Difficult to tell, but for sure the effects in us by no means as serious as those with long term impairment.
snow report
johnE wrote:
137,000 people vacinated in the first week in the UK. Very Happy

Let's put that number into context. At that rate by this time next year only ~3.5 million people will have had two shots and be protected by Christmas 2021. Doesn't sound as remotely as good now does it.

They need to be doing at least an order of magnitude better and ideally double even that.
latest report
Pamski wrote:
@valais2, I was driving home (not for Christmas) from picking up groceries this morning when I heard the family on the Today programme talking about the father’s experience with Covid, nearly dying, then the ongoing medical issues, and by the time I got home I had tears running down my face.

Completely respect your decision not to go, and the sadness.

It seems it is not taking much to turn the tears on here at the moment. Far smaller issues than the famiky on Today.

Because it's not getting reported outside Scotland, 10 years old and no underlying health conditions

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-55339326

Fortunately they pulled through. However I can't being to imagine what those parents went through.
snow conditions
TheGeneralist wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

I appreciate that I'm talking about nuances here, and given that this is the SH Form I don't really expect people to understand where I am coming from...
I find the two things above quite strange. In most places it would be assumed as a given that OP would bin his plans. What I find interesting is that people call that out as being worthy of additional respect rather than just baseline human decency.

Perhaps they are making the point that they are doing the right thing when it is clear that others will not. Also calling out worthy things when people are expected to do that is fine by me.

You are correct, I don't I understand where you are coming from with your original comment.
snow conditions
TheGeneralist wrote:

Oh the humanity.

Lots of Snowheads tell us how often they ski - often a lot. Lots of Snowheads talk about their home in the Alps. Lots of Snowheads tell us about their kids. Lots of Snowheads are dismayed they aren't skiing at the moment. And lots of Snowheads are choosing not to go skiing at the moment on safety grounds. Puzzled

What's the big deal? Puzzled We are on a ski forum! wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy