Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is ski touring now allowed in France and a way forward for resorts?

Poster: A snowHead
Over the weekend, France’s minister in charge of sports, Roxana Maracineanu, has confirmed that cross country skiing is now permitted in a decree published on Saturday, 28th November, allowing the sport to be practised until 15th December.

"It must be carried out within a 20km radius of a person’s home and for an overall period of no longer than three hours per day (including travel time). However, downhill skiing and other snow sports that rely on mountains are not allowed."

And last Thursday an announcement made by the Prefects of the Haute-Savoie, Alain Espinasse, and the Savoie, Pascal Bolot stating that at the end of confinement and travel restrictions visitors to ski resorts will be able to take part in cross country skiing/ski de fond, snow showing and hiking.

Trouble is that in their announcement they use the word randonné (hiking/walking) but I have been unable to find ski randonné being one of the accepted activities.

It is only in the Le Dauphine where they state Haute-Savoie : ski de rando, fond, raquettes… autorisés le 15 décembre.

There's more on all this in a feature here.

And a note of thanks to Chocksaway for a point he made which we've incorporated.

And if it is authorised what can resorts do to make sure it doesn't end up getting banned?

We've asked the top dude we know at Serre Chevalier what their understanding is and whether they will be opening up their In-Resort ski-touring trails etc

Obviously all the above is subject to snow !!!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Weathercam, Reading the text, I'd be pretty sure that they mean ski rando. I would be comfortable confronting a gendarme over it. Looks like I may have that opportunity next week Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

There's more on all this in a feature here.

Thanks for sharing very good read Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

whether they will be opening up their In-Resort ski-touring trails etc

I can't see it happening in the current model of free to use ski touring trails. Perhaps if they can charge for it in some way, although seems like it would be hard to enforce.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks - I see from the article you mention lifts staying closed until “mid-January” - a phrase I’ve seen in a few places, but nothing official from Macron, Castex et al - only that lifts won’t be opening over xmas/new year. I’ve got my super-optimistic trousers on and was hoping they might let people get back to work and maybe open some lifts after new year (naked self-interest - I’m planning a weekend 9/10 Jan), particularly as the Swiss are going to bus people from Chatel into Morgins! I assume we should hear something official this week as that’ll be ten days or so from Macron’s presser last week?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The mayor of Tignes has issued a notice that ski touring is allowed in the resort but certain pistes are closed.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And this just in from Chamonix Press Office

Chamonix Mont-Blanc is of course open to visitors and winter is just around the corner. The lifts might not be running in the immediate future, but ski touring, Nordic skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating, sledging, Spas, shopping...and having fun are all authorised activities ! We are confident that the valley will retain its festive buzz as we prepare to leap into another year.

It's all a tad reminiscent of cycling in the last lock-down in France when cycling was supposedly banned, and I came in for a lot of abuse on the "Cyclists in France FB Group" when I said I was still cycling (keeping to the 1km radius 1hr from home) as the Prefect of the Hautes Alpes said it was ok and the Gendarmes were cool about it, only stopping me to see my attestation and that I was indeed keeping to 1km from home.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Weathercam,

The 20k is much more generous. I think that's about 1256 square killometeres rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There was a resort manager in the news yesterday, I think it was from Les Menuires, that confirmed that he expected people to go on "individual skiing practices" and so had to employ pisteurs to secure the domain.

So from Dec 15th skinning is in. Or from now if you stay within 20km of home.

Obviously the main issue becomes the lack of snow so far...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I read somewhere a couple of days ago that cross country pistes can be groomed. None here though.

Snow line is pretty high here, about 2500m or more. I hiked up to 2100m a couple of days ago and saw none. It is snowing in town atm though. My touring skis need servicing, I'll get that done this week. There is a hiking/snowshoe/ski touring route up Vallée Blanche here. 450m of elevation and very mellow.

The forecast is for a reasonable amount of snow this week, we need it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Weathercam, from your article above

"There is also the little factor of no snow in the vast percentage of French ski resorts and little chance of any up to at least 8th December."

"Just look out the feckin window".....was that one of your phrases? Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hmm, it's snowing quite heavily here atm snowHead 45cm forecast up to end of weekend in town, 1650m.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's even snowing in Morzine, snowline down to 500m in the NW......higher altitude resorts are likely to see -15c next week in France, steady top ups and low temps should be good for the base
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@patrick!, slightly odd to fire up ski patrol if resort’s not “open”... “marked” rando routes obvs different.

Unless something changes, I intend to be out once the snow is deep enough. 20km radius is pretty big.

And Chamonix is getting the XC track ready with quite a lot of snow making ....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
polo wrote:
........."Just look out the feckin window".....was that one of your phrases? Toofy Grin.............

Well if I was there I would, but did the next best thing and looked at the webcam from my garden, and looks like a nice day there?

Then looked at the same view of the shot in the article and......

And at best a slight dusting up at the Col du Lautaret, so looks like a North / South split ?

Anyway without turning this into a weather thread, at valley level I'm not seeing any substantial "dumps" just quite a few "dribbles", will be interesting to see if the resorts that do have snow will start to build XC pistes etc as vast percentage do not have snow making facilities especially those XC areas that are not in ski domains.

I've had quite a lot of feedback, and all say a good idea about in-resort ski touring and how it might bring some work to ESF instructors etc but actual potential numbers may not persuade the management to actually consider making the trails. The way they're all harping on social media about what a great time you can expect if you come for Christmas I think they're dropping the ball on this?
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:

And at best a slight dusting up at the Col du Lautaret, so looks like a North / South split ?

Anyway without turning this into a weather thread, at valley level I'm not seeing any substantial "dumps" just quite a few "dribbles", will be interesting to see if the resorts that do have snow will start to build XC pistes etc as vast percentage do not have snow making facilities especially those XC areas that are not in ski domains, but the way they're all harping on social media about what a great time you can expect if you come for Christmas I think they're dropping the ball on this?

Here's Chamrousse, a light dusting for now but there may be 10-20cm if the rain/snow keeps up all day.

https://www.skaping.com/chamrousse/recoin/video

Given how cold it has been it could be a reasonable base although there has been a big inversion the last days and it was warm at altitude. I don't think that will be enough to tour on though and of course the resorts are not running the snowmaking now.

With WFH expect a lot more ski tourers out and about during the day though. Your days of peace are over this winter Sad

Quite a lot of resorts in the Northern Alps have snowmaking for XC pistes and also do snowfarming. Gieres and Bessans are open currently. What they do is make snow in one or two spots and then move the snow around with piste bashers. Obviously they can't cover 100km of pistes like this.
ski holidays
Looks like 40cm approx across all the french alps by the weekend.....hard to see how any non-lift activity would be viable, a few instructors / guides / hire shops might get a little work but without bars and restaurants open there's not much spending going on.

Be interesting to see how much piste management will be done next week....might put pressure on officials if the resorts are ready, even if just working towards a Jan opening
latest report
Last season we interviewed Cédric Perretier, Directeur du service des pistes et de la sécurité for Serre Che, this was following on from a couple of pre-season major avalanche incidents in the resort where maybe the pisteurs had been a little too enthusiastic with their control Toofy Grin

Also, we were keen to learn why with all the pre-season snow they were still running the canon 24x7 as they harp on about being so "green".

And his answer to this was that the snow canon snow will be the base for the end of the season, little structure to the crystals so air does not flow etc and snow tightly packed so keeps cold and that's the reason you see the strips of snow coming down the piste where snow canon have been doing their thing right past the end of the season.

And all through May when walking the dogs across that snow on the valley floor at 1,400m I always remembered that!

@davidof, what's your interpretation of the Sports Minister's decree?

Roxana Maracineanu, has confirmed that cross country skiing is now permitted in a decree published on Saturday, 28th November, allowing the sport to be practised until 15th December.

"It must be carried out within a 20km radius of a person’s home and for an overall period of no longer than three hours per day (including travel time). However, downhill skiing and other snow sports that rely on mountains are not allowed."

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 1-12-20 10:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
BTW Ski touring is possible in the Western Pyrenees atm as there was a storm that blew in at the weekend. Also in the Northern Alps but you have to go above 2100 meters so Val Thorens, Tignes, les Arcs 2000 are possible.
snow conditions
@davidof, slightly further than your 20km and 3hrs inc travel then Laughing
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:

@davidof, what's your interpretation of the Sports Minister's decree?

Roxana Maracineanu, has confirmed that cross country skiing is now permitted in a decree published on Saturday, 28th November, allowing the sport to be practised until 15th December.

I've not read it as there wasn't any snow until now but I'll take a look. Maybe she just likes her cross country and not ski touring Happy

latest report
I went for a little "hike" in the snow on Vallée Blanche here this morning on the hiking/snowshoe/touring path. This is at 1800m and I walked up as far as 1900. No snow to speak of to ski down on though. It's snowing again now. Last November when we had a big dump the Diable Black was completely tracked out through people skinning up and skiing down.

snow report
A good read here rasing quite a few issues

https://amp-lefigaro-fr.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/amp.lefigaro.fr/voyages/montagne/sans-ski-alpin-ce-que-l-on-pourra-faire-en-station-a-noel-20201126

And a few tourist offices proclaiming that they'll be open for ski touring etc

Même si les pistes et les remontées mécaniques sont fermées, on pourra, au départ de la station, remonter des pentes à peaux de phoque, et les descendre ensuite, comme au bon vieux temps. Le ski de randonnée a le vent en poupe, c'est peut-être l'hiver où jamais de s'y essayer. «Quand les pistes sont ouvertes, cette pratique est interdite par arrêté municipal, mais quand elles sont fermées, rien ne l'interdit, explique Michel Charlet, l'ancien maire de Chamonix (Haute-Savoie). D'ailleurs ici, début décembre, avant l'ouverture des pistes, tout le monde fait de la peau de phoque ».

Even if the slopes and the ski lifts are closed, you will be able, from the station, to go up slopes with sealskin, and then descend them, as in the good old days. Ski touring is on the rise, it might be winter or never to try it out. "When the slopes are open, this practice is prohibited by municipal decree, but when they are closed, nothing prohibits it," explains Michel Charlet, the former mayor of Chamonix (Haute-Savoie). Besides, here, at the beginning of December, before the slopes open, everyone is wearing sealskin ”.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@patrick!, slightly odd to fire up ski patrol if resort’s not “open”... “marked” rando routes obvs different.
I'll try to find the exact source.

On the plus side snow's here at last! More tomorrow!
ski holidays
@Weathercam, do you have the original text of the Maracineanu text please? ta. (I have had a bit of a look but only found an interview in FranceBleu) and no décrets ...
ski holidays
ok it is not bottomless pow but

ski holidays
@under a new name, originally I read it in the connexion and I think FranceBleu did a bit more Googling and found this which I thought would have the necessary detail, and various links at the bottom but still no mention of ski randonne

https://www.sports.gouv.fr/accueil-du-site/article/application-des-decisions-sanitaires-pour-le-sport

Also this which again refers to it like a few other news sites

https://fr.news.yahoo.com/confinement-ski-fond-sera-autoris%C3%A9-223425934.html?
latest report
@davidof, no FOMO yet Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In Le Figaro yesterday: the officials are this week working on what activities can be carried out over the festive period (they mention ski touring):
« Les professionnels anticipent une fréquentation des stations l'ordre de 30%, indépendamment des remontées mécaniques, a commenté Jean-Baptiste Lemoyne. Cette semaine, nous allons donc travailler sur les activités de plein air qui pourront être pratiquées cette fin d'année ». Et de citer notamment les jardins de neiges pour les petits enfants, les raquettes, le traîneau à chiens, le ski nordique et le ski de randonnée. « C'est une lapalissade mais sera autorisé tout ce qui n'est pas interdit », a déclaré le ministre en insistant sur « l'importance de continuer à sécuriser les domaines avec des déclenchements d'avalanche ».
https://www.lefigaro.fr/voyages/montagne/ski-la-date-d-ouverture-des-remontees-mecaniques-sera-finalement-annoncee-mi-decembre-20201130?fbclid=IwAR2qJTgiQe2ibhAQujrTHUbFj5VVnABAK2eyYeB2--GJFOrUaDmmwgj8Yy8
snow conditions
@Weathercam, thanks, most helpful. So with google to aid the typing, from the gov sports link, "The practice of all land, water and air sports is thus authorized while respecting the distance between people."
latest report
Been dumping all day. I've a couple of options if the sun shines tomorrow Very Happy

ski holidays
Quote:

une lapalissade

That's a nice new French word - which I shall attempt to work into my next online French lesson.
ski holidays
The snow started to fall on Friday 4th December and would seem the at the Southern Alps maybe had the best of it?

Reports of 40cm in the valley to 80cm at altitude in Serre Che.

However, the 20km and three-hour rule is still in place so that limits the hordes from Grenoble and Lyon as to where they can go and that was evident from the lack of cars at the Col du Lautaret on the webcam there over the weekend as I kept checking.

With this snow I still think Resorts are missing a trick by not making specific in-resort ski-tour climbs and prepared pistes, maybe with this recent snow they will see the potential PR benefits of such a strategy for the Christmas period?

And a week since I wrote that feature and we asked Serre Che Tourist office what they are doing and what a surprise no response.

And I have a few friends on Strava who posted some sorties and conditions looked very good indeed, one friend posted photos and his sortie and I had to look it up on a map what tiny resort he was touring in, Ancelle, basically between Gap and Embrun to the North of Lac Serre Poncon.

And have to admit to some FOMO now not helped by the wife of a LG guide I know well ringing me up suggesting we tour today like we often do pre-season before they move back to LG (hubby is in Sweden) she didn't know I was still in the UK Crying or Very sad

The image below from SkiTour.fr shows the various sorties that took place over the weekend.

snow report
Weathercam wrote:

However, the 20km and three-hour rule is still in place so that limits the hordes from Grenoble and Lyon as to where they can go and that was evident from the lack of cars at the Col du Lautaret on the webcam there over the weekend as I kept checking.

Do you really think those TRs you posted respected the 3hr / 20km rule?
ski holidays
@davidof, like I said B all people up at the Col though that was quite an obvious point for a control!

Though why would anyone post their sorties on a public site like SkiTour.fr if they were ignoring that rule, but that's probably only a tiny % or the numbers that were actually out for that very reason.

And think that goes to show how the Grenoblois were out in the likes of the Chartreuse and Belledonne as opposed to further afield.

Just looked at the Cucumelle Cam and someone having a good day and it's possible to do that in under three hours depending on where you live 1,100m elevation.

snow conditions
Lot of people skinning up here over the weekend. I did a bit yesterday. I snowshoed on Saturday too, about 10km.

However it is being strongly discouraged here, nothing being done to make it easier or encourage it. In fact the Isère Prefet has just issued this.

COMMUNIQUÉ DE PRESSE PRÉFECTURE DE L’ISÈRE
Chute de neige et randonnée en montagne : rappel des limitations de déplacements et appel à la prudence Les chutes de neige de ces dernières heure peuvent inciter à la reprise de la randonné en ski, en raquettes ou à pied dans les massifs isérois, les remontées mécaniques demeurant, pour leur part, fermées dans le cadre de l'état d'urgence sanitaire.
Il est important de rappeler que les restrictions de circulation demeurent jusqu'au 15 décembre et que donc le respect d'une distance de 20 km autour de son domicile ainsi qu'une limite de temps de 3 heures s'appliquent.
En outre, les conditions d'enneigement doivent inciter à la prudence, le manteau neigeux n'étant pas
stabilisé, le risque d'avalanche est important notamment en zone hors piste.
S'agissant des domaines skiables, si les remontées mécaniques demeurent fermées dans le cadre de la crise sanitaire, il est de la responsabilité des maires d'autoriser l'ouverture des domaines skiables notamment nordiques (ski de fond) et dans ce cas de mettre en place le dispositif de secours afférant et de sécuriser les pistes. Si le domaine skiable n'est pas ouvert, sa fréquentation par quelque moyen que ce soit se fait donc au risque et péril des pratiquants.
Dans tous les cas, la situation encore très tendue dans les services hospitaliers doit amener chacun à faire preuve de civisme en évitant toute prise de risque inutile.
latest report
@Claude B, unfortunately as we've alluded to, post-December 15th we might well see a blanket ban when the hordes are released.

Almost had a domestic last evening based on a "what if" scenario when I mentioned as above that Cucumelle was doable within three hours at pace, with OH saying that you don't have to go all the way, and my response was that's where the best descent is from, so if people want to come with me and then start moaning I'll just leave them to it and go on my way, or words to that effect Laughing

Anyway that's all irrelevant as I won't be in that situation from the looks of things, and probably just confined to ski du fond.
snow report
@Weathercam, sorry if I missed it but are you back in France now??
ski holidays
@kitenski, don't you start rubbing it in Laughing

Actually, see my post in the road bike thread from yesterday!
ski holidays
@Weathercam, why drive to the Lauteret if you can ski closer to home in better conditions? The roads around Grenoble weren't very practicable on Saturday. The Autoroute from Lyon was also blocked for a time.

Lots of kitesurfers or whatever they are called up there now mind.

Look at the Belle Etoile trip on your list. The guy did 2700 meters in 80cm of snow depth and more than 20km from his home. He must have been out all day. I think by and large people are ignoring the 20km / 3 hour rule now.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy