Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Giscard d'Estaing

Poster: A snowHead
Fan of Courchevel, former French president Valerie Giscard d'Estaing has died. He had been ill for some time with Covid-19. He was 94 years old. He was famous for banning helicopter landings on the summit of le Mont Blanc in the 1970s. His son, Henri is the former boss of Club Med. Giscard d'Estaing had claimed to have had an affair with Princess Di.

On the right in 1938!

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice slalom style there, for the time. RIP.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Was it during his time that resorts like Les Arcs were created? Did his policies allow skiing tourism to flourish?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wasn't there some story about him marking the banning of heli skiing by... er... heli skiing off Mt Buet?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wool sweater and flared cords - style Cool

Hope he didn't drop his shades though - uncool
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Arno, not quite. He went heli skiing and ran in to protesters at the bottom. A ban on heli skiing in the Mont Blanc massif followed. Mitterand then banned it throughout France.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@gorilla, I think I prefer my story Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is there anyone Lady Di did not hump in the 1980s or 1990s Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold wrote:

Is there something you want to get off your chest, WG? wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The heliskiing story is that he was photographed by paparazzi heliskiing from a location on Mt Blanc. This took place at the same time as the scandal of the Bokassa diamonds (d'Estaing had supplied French mercenaries to support a coup in the Central African Republic, and received uncut diamonds in return). He attempted to take some of the heat off himself for the diamonds scandal by agreeing to the green lobby to ban heliskiing in France.

I don't know how many snowheads have skied the Foglietta in St Foy after skinning up. This used to be a heliskiing location.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@davidof: Thank you! Great pictures of a great man. Do you know where the third photo has been taken?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold wrote:

You mean as opposed to stormy daniels?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Those are great photos, and may he rest in peace. But great men don't boast about their conquests, real or imagined.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tristero wrote:
@davidof: Thank you! Great pictures of a great man. Do you know where the third photo has been taken?

Some info on the photos

The one where he is competing in a slalom is at Chamrousse a few weeks after the 1968 Olympics on the 17th March.

The photo you are asking about is the Dome du Gouter in 1979, maybe this was the famous helicopter drop that caused protests?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@john2, slightly off piste , excuse the pun , yes that’s right Ste Foy village used to be the major heli ski capital in France in the 70s dropping on the now ski area of Ste Foy , The Rutor Glacier on the border with Italy and the Grand Col and Aiguile Rouge above Les Arcs/Villaroger opposite . I’m told in March there used to be at least three heli’s operating .
latest report
Haven't seen this in the news yet !
snow report
It's there https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13062449
snow conditions
skitrack wrote:
It's there https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13062449

and in there

Quote:
before graduating from the Ecole Nationale d'Administration and joining the tax and revenue service.

the BBC makes that sound quite banal, like he was checking tax returns, but the ENA students who graduate to the Inspection générale des finances et Cour des comptes are a tiny elite among already a tiny elite, the top 10% of ENA students and they form a very tight knit cabal at the core of a very elitist French state. They don't actually do a great deal of work and are generally on the fast track to political greatness - a bit like a sportsman who is in the army but doesn't actually do any fighting.
snow report
davidof wrote:
Tristero wrote:

Some info on the photos

The photo you are asking about is the Dome du Gouter in 1979, maybe this was the famous helicopter drop that caused protests?

Could have saved that for 'Guess the ski area' thread -- would have been a great shout.... !!
snow conditions
@skitrack, Cheers - it didn't make the front page!
latest report
Famous for his diamond edge skis NehNeh
ski holidays
I'm impressed - all these posts and no mention of buttock fondling Laughing
snow report
Quote:

The Rutor Glacier on the border with Italy and the Grand Col and Aiguile Rouge above Les Arcs/Villaroger opposite . I’m told in March there used to be at least three heli’s operating .

The Rutor Glacier is a beautiful area and the Rutor hut opens in the winter for ski touring. That whole area of the Italian/French border from the Petite st Bernard to the Monte Cenis pass (including the Parco Nazionale Gran Paradiso) is stagering beautiful and not well known in the UK. I'm not sure why anyone would take a helicopter to the Grand Col in Les Arcs. The old drag lift there stopped only 50m or so below the col. I suspect the helicopters would have taken you to Turia or Pourri or the slopes in between
ski holidays
Yoda wrote:
I'm impressed - all these posts and no mention of buttock fondling Laughing

Well I guess people wanted to keep on the ski theme but certainly powerful men of a certain generation thought they had a droit de cuissage and didn't even think they were doing wrong. He's dodged the bullet on that one anyway
snow report
@under a new name, his slalom is excellent given the gear he's on. Maybe not Billy Kidd but a really good amateur skier.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy