Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anybody booking for 2021 yet?

Poster: A snowHead
Has anybody booked for 2021 yet, or considering booking soon? Probably wise to wait a little while longer I know...

Was thinking of Austria via Sunweb.

Any recommendations on any other companies offering good deals right now?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@nba2005uk, we are booked for Christmas week.

Although I had been looking at Sunweb we ended up booking directly with the accommodation owner (apartment). They have agree to full refund of the deposit if we aren’t allowed to travel out there (it is also paid on credit card as well).

EasyJet prices and baggage is currently exceedingly low and booked with them
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
just be aware of DIY accomodation & you are unlikely to get cash refund & more than likely not covered by insurance.
Lots of EU countries have credit note schemes due to government law changes.

Its all a going to be a bit of a gamble.

Things to think about.
Will Country borders reopen within schengen with checks or without checks
Will Countries reopen external borders & with what criteria/restrictions? Certificate Test? Quarantine? etc.
If there ends up being a 2nd wave, then forget it Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We've booked two lots of flights with easyjet, one for mid jan and one for the Easter bank holiday weekend, because they were such a good deal.

Booked an Airbnb for January, because its fully refundable until 1st Jan. Will wait until easter is confirmed before booking anything.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have booked flights for new year's week and 10 days at Easter with Easyjet - drawn in because it was such a good deal! Air bnb is booked for new year but we have had confirmation from the owner that she will refund fully if we cannot travel. Going to sort things out for Easter when we have a clearer picture.

We must not be the only crazy/optimistic ones though because a lot of accommodation was aleady booked up!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Sheffsnow91, when it comes to New Year I think quite a few book that a year in advance. So possibly those bookings were prior to this insanity. Though of course I am of the same kind as you obviously as we have booked Christmas. Not a week we normally go - partly driven by Easter week being cancelled.

Part of me would like to book Easter flights but we that is my fall back for the Christmas flights, if we can’t go move them to Easter?

Though if we can’t go can we get that cash back from EasyJet? If we can we may be better of booking the Easter legs while we can get such cheap baggage prices.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi

Due to both my trips this year being cancelled I received back two credit refunds onto my Club Med account.

As I have no issues re-booking with Club Med for next year so I have booked to go to La Plagne in January and Val Thorens in April. However, I have avoided flights and am opting to self drive for both trips using Eurotunnel refunds (also from this years cancelled trips).

I realise that absolutely nothing is a given at the moment and no one really knows how this is all going to pan out long term but I figured by re-booking it showed willing to the industry but also gives me something to look forward to.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We have eurotunnel refund tickets too, which we are looking at using for either Christmas or New Year weeks next season.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’m finding it hard to imagine the 2020/2021 season going ahead normally. There is a lot of talk from the UK government of social distancing continuing long after lock down ends and it seems not unlikely that the French/Swiss/Austrian/Italian governments will reach similar conclusions and I just don’t see how you can run a ski resort with social distancing measures in place.

A modern gondola typically has a capacity of 2400 – 3600 people per hour meaning that a 10 minute queue for a gondola indicates 400 – 600 people queuing at the bottom. It’s been speculatively suggested on here that maybe gondolas will run at half capacity to enable some attempt at social distancing. This would double the number of people queuing and presumably these people would all need to be 2m apart meaning that what might typically be a 10 minute queue in the morning for the bottom lift turns into a 2km + queue which doesn’t seem realistic for the resorts to manage. Equally, running gondolas at full capacity doesn’t seem realistic either if any attempt is being made to not pass on germs. FWIW, I don’t think that running at half capacity would achieve the desired effect anyway, it probably needs to be household only per car which would severely reduce lift capacity.

Hopefully I’m wrong, and much more urgently a solution needs to be found for allowing normal use of public transport so if one is found, everyone wears masks and hopes for the best?, then this could presumably be used for ski lifts as well. At least wearing face coverings while skiing is fairly normal. Perhaps the most likely option is that countries that have largely got coronavirus under control insist on a 2 week quarantine for people arriving from countries that are further behind and then attempt to run everything as normal. If that is the case then we can only hope that the UK is viewed as a ‘safe’ country by next winter.

Either way, I really hope to go skiing next year and but won’t be booking just yet and in the event that we can travel but the lifts are closed will be going with touring skis
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NickyJ, we woudn't normally do Christmas/new year either but with 2 trips cancelled this year we were all desparate to get back to the snow! I am hoping if the Christmas flights are cancelled we can get a refund or move them to the following Christmas/use them to do something else in summer 2021.

I definitely booked Easter next year earlier than planned because of the crazy baggage deals, it was too good to miss!

@Griggs, I definitely agree, it is giving me something to look forward to and a bit of hope that things will calm down eventually.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I cant see leaders letting the economy suffer for that long, we are already approaching the limits of what an countries economy can take & if it costs the life's of a few more elderly then the harsh reality is that may be to cost to pay to save the majority of us living in poverty for decades.
I do think long haul travel with be affected more but considering France & the UK are neighbours I can see that boarder being back to BAU soon but with a heightened focus on illegal immigration.
As for skiing & crowds, the crowds will already be vastly reduced due to both peoples personnel fears of travel & the shear fact many will simply not be able to afford it after taking such a financial hit.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Booked for Ischgl Easter 2021 -did this before it all kicked off in March.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@muddewater, we were supposed to be in Ischgl this Easter... seems like we probably dodged a bullet but gutted all the same! Will definitely be making a trip there again in the future.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No and wont for a while. I can't see how the typical ski holiday can go ahead without a vaccine in place. Chalet holidays, where there are mixed groups of people would be near impossible to have social distancing maintained. Then there are the issues with lifts as mentioned above. What about mountain restaurants, toilets etc. It's horrible to think we wont be able to enjoy something I love but that's the reality as I see it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Booked Easyjet flights for both Feb half term to Salzburg and to Geneva at Easter holidays.

But I'm pretty pessimistic that we'll be able to use them. Can't see international travel opening up by then TBH and if it does - I expect ski resorts will open for their domestic trade only, or in Europe possibly internal travel across the Schengen zone if all countries start using the same/very similar track and tracing apps.
snow conditions
Flights booked in December and January, all with a credit card in case of airline failure. Pretty confident there’ll be a season of some description - PdS have announced today they hope to open lifts for MTB from 27 June.
snow conditions
Flights only at this stage.
snow report
Flights booked for Easter to Geneva. Paid by credit card in case Sleezyjet goes under. Sort out resort and accommodation in 6 - 10 months time (or even later)
ski holidays
Have booked to go to the northern french alps early in the 20/21 season with Peak Retreats. Self drive (eurotunnel) and self catering. Had originally hoped to book a second ski holiday later in the season to celebrate a milestone birthday - will see how things go nearer the time.
ski holidays
Quote:

Pretty confident there’ll be a season of some description

On the current info, I'd think so as well.
latest report
In my case I could not find scheduled flights particularly cheaper than usual, so no action needed.

Booking anything with anyone who doesn't guarantee 100% no-questions refunds would appear to Trump-like.
Even where suppliers are offering full no-questions-asked refunds, those are only as good as their financial stability.
ski holidays
Far to early to even think about next season. Normally I start thinking about booking ski trips in November or December.
snow report
Booked jan on a cheap EasyJet flight to Geneva (on credit card) booked a hotel in courmayeur, free cancellation and pay on arrival anyway via booking.com, so pretty low risk really, just a hire car to arrange in Geneva which can be done at a later date

Looking to go to Sölden next year also, but more people/moving parts involved in that trip so will be hanging back and seeing how it plays out over the next few months (and trying to get in shape in the garage!)
snow report
Easyjet flights only for Easter, thought about December but thought that might be optimistic. Like others, I think all Governments will need to find a way to make holidays work within Europe as the cost of not doing so would be astronomic. Also booked fully refundable car hire. Holding off accommodation until later in the year because so many are non refundable and I am not yet ready to take that gamble. Also, happy to ski pretty much anywhere there is snow within range of Geneva so not too picky.
ski holidays
philwig wrote:
In my case I could not find scheduled flights particularly cheaper than usual, so no action needed.

Our flights weren't really much cheaper than normal, but it was the 99p baggage deal that made the difference.

2 x 23kg bags and 1 x ski bag probably saved us around £150. Which was pretty much the same as the total cost at £160. Cut our costs in half.

Easter bank holiday was cheap though, considering we've booked late Thursday and late Monday flights, would expect them to be quite pricey as they're essentially peak flights, but at £125 for 2 of us including a bag and a ski bag, that was a bit of a bargain.
latest report
I hope there is a ski season 20/21 but like @rambotion, mentions above i'm not sure how the social distancing would work in gondolas, plus as @blacksheep, mentions until a vaccine is in place it wouldn't work imo.

I'm also thinking that without mountain restaurants and toilet facilities it'd not work, I think some of the financially highly geared resorts which have high levels of investment, and presumably low revenue for 20/21, after curtailed earnings end 19/20 may suffer. I've never been a huge fan on gondola's, much prefer chairs and being in the open air with skis on, but gondolas have been installed widespread new in many smaller resorts in the last few years and it makes me wonder if they will all survive. I hope they do, and can sort their finances out. perhaps the larger resorts could operate with chairlifts only, but this would render many high routes which are often serviced by gondolas impracticable.

We've got a 2 week option on a room for January, but beyond that not rushing to book any ferries or tunnel, definitely will not be flying on grounds of welfare (social distancing?) and also the fact that i'm not convinced the non-national airlines will survive. Many like Lufthansa and Swiss will i'm sure get bail-outs, but the likes of EJ, Ryanair and Jet2 i'm not sure. More of a concern at the moment is the situation for our 10 day August hiking/ MTB trip to Vorarlberg/ Arlberg, i'm thinking that driving over the borders will need CV-19 test papers for entry into Germany and Austria, and if so will this be possible to be tested in that timeframe here in UK, plus all our ski hardware is stored in a friends garage, we were evacuated from St Anton on 13th March, when we had 3 hours to get exit papers and get over the border, we just dumped everything and want to drive and pick up in August.

Lots of ifs and buts, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.....
snow report
Not booked yet and to be honest we will be late booking compared to previous years. In our case its less uncertainty about COVID-19 and more about job uncertainty and in particular the extent to which salary will be affected. Its hard to commit to something like a family ski holiday at this stage. What we may end up doing is a couple of weekends. These are generally easier to book late.

Just had a look an we can get Easyjet flights for Easter pretty cheap. May consider locking these in as a way of mitigating risk.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 27-04-20 11:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@FrediKanoute, +1 in same mindset too
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Often the detail is in the data.
If you look at Compagnie Des Alpes shares since they crashed in Feb, they are back up 25%.
Something has to be driving that.
At least in France there seems to be some belief in there being a 20-21 season.
snow report
Booked for les gets again. Despite spending 3 days with no skiing as we arrived on 14th March our chalet company gave us a full credit to rebook which we have done. Fingers crossed as we have 4 holidays almost definitely wiped out this year
snow conditions
Had Xmas booked netball this hit. Flights and hotel separate. (Oslo flights) Hotel can be cancelled and leaves flights which might be able to be moved. But if they are lost so be it. I am not hopeful of season next year. Will also decide nearer time whether I am willing to get on a plane full of people.
latest report
You Brits will have to wait and see whether you will be allowed to come to the Alps at all.
As mentioned, capacity will be severely restricted anyway due to social distancing, most of all at lifts, but also in many breakfast rooms, restaurants...
And what’s easier than restricting by nation, Schengen, or sea...
Austria already is suggesting that for this summer only German tourists are allowed.
And since it is not just Michel Barnier that is getting tired...
ski holidays
WindOfChange wrote:
Often the detail is in the data.
If you look at Compagnie Des Alpes shares since they crashed in Feb, they are back up 25%.
Something has to be driving that.
At least in France there seems to be some belief in there being a 20-21 season.

Is that one of Bob Inch's stock picks? If you'd invested 1000 euros in the CDA in 1999, well your shares would still be worth 1000 euros today.
latest report
It could just be the rumours of them taking a bigger stake in other lift operators driving the price, but then - why would you do that if you don't think they're viable. It's not the kind of thing thats easy to asset strip.
snow report
As previously on other threads we're presuming for the sake of our sanity that we'll not be going on the basis that disappointment expected is better than disappointment imposed.

As things stand if we do go it will more than likely be a last minute booking for mid-late January provided that the price is not a rip off and we can still afford what may by then be a less than justifiable luxury.

A few midweek days on home mountains is likely to be the substance of 20/21. One silver lining is that it may be their salvation for a few another years. The 'weather outlook' thread may well have a new geographical emphasis next winter?
ski holidays
@Langerzug,
Quote:

Austria already is suggesting that for this summer only German tourists are allowed.

Interesting, where did you read that? That'd be a strange move, the Austrian tourism industry would be glad of the revenue i'd think rather than freezing out some of the very people who fund their businesses. I can definitely see the need for test paperwork at borders, how would the UK people be any different to German ones? Is this a Kurz move, or a local tourist offices one, or is it just anti-UK wishful thinking?
latest report
For work reasons, I don’t usually book anything ski related until Sept onwards as I am not sure which weeks during the season I will be able to go. So even without coronavirus I wouldn’t be booking anything now.

If that wasn’t the case, I would probably have picked up a couple of the cheap flights for my chosen weeks as I wouldn’t mind loosing that amount if they didn’t go ahead but not booked anything else.

I am lucky in that I managed to get in all of this seasons trips so don’t have credit etc to roll over. Hopefully the landscape will be clearer after September and so I can book again as usual or if not it might be last minute or not at all!
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
@Langerzug,
Quote:

Interesting, where did you read that? That'd be a strange move, the Austrian tourism industry would be glad of the revenue i'd think rather than freezing out some of the very people who fund their businesses. I can definitely see the need for test paperwork at borders, how would the UK people be any different to German ones? Is this a Kurz move, or a local tourist offices one, or is it just anti-UK wishful thinking?

Discussions are ongoing, but all the press I've seen about this so far suggests that the govt are most keen (that may be too strong a word...) to open the borders with Germany and Czech. The Czechs have already started to relax their border with Austria, so that at least seems likely to open. They are looking at countries that are in a similar position to Austria wrt the outbreak, and so the UK isn't even on the radar yet, but neither is Italy, France or the USA.

I read earlier that Germany has 90% domestic tourism, but Austria is only 25% (and Austrians aren't exactly the last of the big spenders...) so they have a lot more to gain by letting the Germans come here the Germany does, and German tourists do make up a good percentage of the total, though I don't have the numbers on that.
latest report
Quote:

how would the UK people be any different to German ones?

The obvious difference (unless the Brexit transition period is extended) would be that German citizens would also be EU citizens whilst UK citizens would not.

Flowing from EU citizenship, the Germans (or other EU citizens) would also still have EHIC health insurance, and probably a phone app on the German track and trace Covid 19 system, which could be integrated with the Austrian system in ways the UK version could not be, as it would fall outside the EU data framework. And so on.
latest report
UK citizens might also have EHIC. It's not restricted to EU citizens - covers Iceland, Norway, Switzerland. In any case, EHIC is no substitute for good insurance, as it only entitles you to the state medical facilities that apply to locals. Ie it is not necessarily totally free at point of delivery (many European countries make you pay a proportion) unlike NHS, nor does it cover evacuation from pistes, repatriation, etc. (And EU data framework is red herring.)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy