Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Carriage Query - BA

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Firstly, apologies if posting in the wrong place!

Looking at LHR - TRN in March with BA if things open back up again but cannot for the life of me work out what to do about ski carriage. It says you can take as hold allocation but has a max 90 cm size. I cannot find anything more specific except anything over standard sizes has to go as cargo.

Can anyone advise what happens with ski carriage please? TIA.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In my experience including with BA they take skis/ snowboards as part of your allowance (same as every other airline I've ever flown with world wide).
They are "oversize", but that just affects where you end up dropping and collecting them, it's not a cost issue. If you're taking skis/ boards you can
pad them with clothing etc so long as they don't go over the standard weight limit which is generally 22kgs. "low cost" airlines have different rules/ pricing structures.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That’s how I routinely travel with BA. I have a Dakine Fall line 175cm roller ski bag which fits my skis (186cm) and most of my gear as my single piece of hold luggage up to 23kg, and take my boots and a few other bits and pieces as hand luggage in a standard boot bag. The BA website is a bit confusing regarding what they allow and why, but they’ve always been absolutely fine about it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Chuckles3, As with the others we have always taken a ski bag as part to our baggage allowance, finding the dimensions is trick on BA , from memory the bag can't be more than 190cm long or weigh more than 23 KG, see below

Below is what they say on their site :

1. You can take larger sporting items of up to 190 x 75 x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5in) as checked baggage so long as they weigh no more than your permitted baggage weight allowance. Any items larger than these dimensions will require shipping as cargo. The only exception is a bike in a bike-box that can have the maximum dimensions of 190 x 95 x 65cm (75 x 37.5 x 25.5in).
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/atom/baggage-essentials/sporting-goods-and-musical-instruments

2.You can take skiing or snowboarding equipment as part of your checked baggage so long as the bag is within the maximum bag dimensions.

Skis and snowboards must be packed in a protective bag and can be in the same bag as your boots or clothes. 

If you pack your boots separately from your skis or snowboard, your boot bag can be carried as hand baggage if it's within the correct dimensions. If it doesn't, it must be checked in and will count as an extra checked bag.

For safety reasons you can’t board the aircraft wearing ski boots.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/sports-equipment

The Snowheads thread on British Airways baggage allowance https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4643928&highlight=british+airways#4643928
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you to everyone replying. I’m reassured we’ll be fine turning up with the skis now. Looking to treat ourselves to Business & then can take a couple of changes of clean clothes too! Just have to see what happens with any more lockdowns after COVID does it’s Christmas rounds
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They accept ski/snowboard bafs as part of your allowance, you'll be fine Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Chuckles3, Since you are flying from LHR be careful which fare you are choosing. They have 2 economy fares. You want the more expensive economy plus fare (usually £15 more) which has a hold bag included and that can be a ski bag.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Chuckles3, use Avios for your upgrades.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chuckles3 wrote:
Thank you to everyone replying. I’m reassured we’ll be fine turning up with the skis now. Looking to treat ourselves to Business & then can take a couple of changes of clean clothes too! Just have to see what happens with any more lockdowns after COVID does it’s Christmas rounds

Note that sometimes with BA, the 1 x checked bag price + extra bag for skis, can be very close or sometimes even more than the business price — where you get 2 x checked bags included. So if you are thinking of 1 checked bag + your skis, then you are kinda flying business free-of-charge.

Have a great trip! Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Again thanks. Thought business would be pretty much worth it for the extra luggage included - pricing it separately is pretty much the same & I’m presuming the lounge is still included with business (if open at the time of travelling).

It’s a tough call to make at the moment for everyone to even consider booking to go. I think it’s got to be 20 years since I haven’t skied at least twice a winter season. We’re only looking at Pila, at a hotel we know very well & trust, but no idea if it’s even going to open yet until I drop them a line.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy