Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good Black Friday Deal IGN France - 1:25,000 Maps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is what I use on my phone for route finding etc

Good Xmas pressie

Intuitive and easy to use software with IGN 1:25,000 scale maps for all of France.
Use on up to 5 devices - Windows PC, Mac, iPhone*, iPad* or Android*.

Was £274.99 Save £175.01 Now £99.98

https://www.memory-map.co.uk/maps/outdoor/ign-france-maps-1-25-000?utm_campaign=493228_Black%20Friday&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Memory-Map&dm_i=57Q4,AKKS,3MXNVG,174DH,1
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You know you can download the IGN maps legally for free onto your Smartphone?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Weathercam, I used to use Memory-map, but have switched to ViewRanger. All I needed was the Vanoise national park and those two smaller ones near Chambery. I buy the extra tiles as necessary.

@Tristero, Could you tell us how?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnE wrote:
@Weathercam, I used to use Memory-map, but have switched to ViewRanger. All I needed was the Vanoise national park and those two smaller ones near Chambery. I buy the extra tiles as necessary.

Not free, but I use iPheiGenie (I think that’s what it’s called) - annual subscription of £11 gets you all IGN maps for France (you can pay extra for CH). Recommend by a guide I went out with in Tignes.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnE wrote:

Get the free app "TrekAdvisor". Afaik Android only though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry should have made myself clearer.

The beauty of this package is that I can run it on my laptop, which enables me to plan a route much easier than planning a route on a smartphone screen, a series of mouse clicks to create a route I think is far easier than using your finger, and also to delete waypoints and deselect aspects or a route.

Plus the zoom functionality to view contours is all so much easier on a laptop.

Then once I'm happy with the route I transfer it to my phone.

Ski-tour routes are the bug blue dashed lines and are worth following!

For sure if you're only using it to follow existing trails/routes then you can use the various Phone Apps
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Weathercam, I remember now. I used it on my desk computer to plot routes draw up waymarks arc. Even do fly throughs to see exactly what terrain I would face.
However, this was before smart phones and the waymarks were downloaded to a Garmin etrex. On one walk the battery of the etrex ran out (lesson one always carry spare batteries) . Of course I had a map and compass so was able to navigate. I never used the system again.
Then someone told me about view ranger and it's use of open map sets. It was free so I started to use it. Then of course was hooked into buying the better os, ign and kompass maps.
Hint. For anyone planning to use view ranger in the dolomites the maps are available under germany/Austria rather than Italy. If you click on Italy as a region then the maps are not very useful and very expansive.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@johnE, yes the 3D flythrough functionality is still there, (see it in the Nav tab).

However, if I'm being that detailed I'll export the gpx, convert it to a kml ( http://gpx2kml.com ) to view in Google Earth as that is way better resolution than the 3D.

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Weathercam wrote:
Sorry should have made myself clearer.

The beauty of this package is that I can run it on my laptop, which enables me to plan a route much easier than planning a route on a smartphone screen, a series of mouse clicks to create a route I think is far easier than using your finger, and also to delete waypoints and deselect aspects or a route.

For sure if you're only using it to follow existing trails/routes then you can use the various Phone Apps

Sorry, I don't get it. Puzzled The online desktop version of the IGN maps is fortunately freely available and has been for a long time. You can zoom and plan as much as you like on the biggest screen you got.

Besides, TrekAdvisor is the only app I know which allows downloads for offline use. Maybe that has changed.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Tristero, are you talking Geoportal to plan and export routes ?

Strange behaviour on my desktop back in the UK yet my App is fine
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've used Gaiagps in the past - allows offline viewing on mobile devices.

For about £20/year it includes UK, France, Switzerland, US and many more. However, it's not a perpetual deal like the one highlighted here, you do have to keep paying.

I've let my subscription lapse during lockdown, but will reactivate when I'm allowed out again Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weathercam wrote:
@Tristero, are you talking Geoportal to plan and export routes ?

Strange behaviour on my desktop back in the UK yet my App is fine

Of course! Did you switch to "Cartes IGN classiques"? Because that's what you need to do. Works fine for me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy