Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a new roller (duffle) bag (luggage)

Poster: A snowHead
I have been looking for the past year for a new "suitcase" to replace my trusted 10+ year old one, that has served many an adventure, it is currently on life support and being held together by some gorilla tape.

Not having had success in finding a replacement I thought some fellow snowheads would be able to recommend me a new bag.

What I like about my current bag:

Softshell - folds fairy flat so works well for storage in a London flat
Has wheels/rollers
Is about 110L - Unfortunately no way to confirm actual value but have sized up 100L suitcases and this is larger
Weighs 1.9kg empty <--- This is why I cannot give it up and struggling to find something new
Its a delsey (they don't have a replacement model)

What I am looking for:

Softshell
Wheels/rollers
Telescopic handle would be a nice addition (not a must)
Sub 3kg weight <- struggling to find anything close to this
110L of storage space minimum
I don't need ballistic Nylon or heavy waterproof material - I have never had an issue with wet luggage

There is a lot of stuff on the market if you are willing to accept the c.5kg weight for an empty bag which I am not keen to.

I've checked out SnoKart, Dakine Splitrollers, Northface but they are all above the weight requirement.

Do any snowheads have any recommendations?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 27-11-20 19:33; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You haven't mentioned price, but I have one of these : weighs just over 3kg, but a not cheap..

https://www.google.com/search?q=Caribee+Scarecrow+DX+70cm+Rolling+Gear+Bag&oq=Caribee+Scarecrow+DX+70cm+Rolling+Gear+Bag&aqs=chrome..69i57.997931j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

=====

http://www.manbi.com/product/1221
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
didn't mention price as don't mind paying for a good piece of kit - plus LV or Gucci bags dont meet the specs Smile

I did see a Caribee bag but the weight put me off
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@extremerob, I sell a good number of these which matches the specification you require:
https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/ski-bags/scott-ski-wheel-premium-bag-detail.html

Similar concept to the Douchebag but better made/more durable.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 4-11-20 10:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
High Sierra do great roller bags, replaced mine after 9 years with their top of the range one (70% off in sales) and I do a LOT of ski travelling...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.manbi.com/product/1219

similar to the one I posted above

"....Replaces the compact bag, Durable 600D Polyester Ripstop outer, 90 litre capacity, Easy roll wheels and grab handle
Perfect for a week skiing with the school
Super lightweight, only 1850g empty..."

I had the previous version, but found it unstable when dragging it along using the strap - and the wheels were hellish noisy !!

I doubt you will get a bag with extendable handle under 3kg..
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Eagle Creek used to do an ultra-light version of their 'cargo hauler' range. Annoyingly that version isn't listed on their website anymore, but can still be found on Amazon. Not sure if that means it's been discontinued? Anyway, specs and reviews are available on Amazon (if you are ok with shopping with them) e.g. 120L wheeled duffel comes in at 1.81kg (apparently), or non-wheeled version @1.11kg.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultra-Light-Hauler-Rolling-Duffel-Roller/dp/B01HIGO3OC?tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret wrote:
High Sierra do great roller bags, replaced mine after 9 years with their top of the range one (70% off in sales) and I do a LOT of ski travelling...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Sierra-Evolution-Wheeled-Bottom/dp/B0755KZLZ7?th=1&tag=amz07b-21

2.79kg !! Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@spyderjon, thanks for pointing this out - my douchebag double ski bag still probably has another few years of life - but come replacement time the scott looks very appealing - especially at that price point and it looks like it rolls up just like a douchebag!

@fixx, this looks like a very good option Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not sure if it has the capacity but there's a Decathlon roller that is pretty light.

Don't know the model but Pigeondave has a Scott and it's open ended with a really awkward closing system that seems to unravel itself...but that could be down to user error.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Theres a decent looking Salomon bag on ebay at the moment but it's above the weight limit.I think I have the heaviest bag around - an ogio Rig 9800 1 think - its 6. 5 kg empty...it is absolutely bombproof though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My son has one of these that he’s bounced all over the place stuffed with ill-packed kit, and it still looks almost new.
I don’t think it’s the ‘ultra-light’ version which @fixx mentions, but is widely available and just under 2kg
https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/eagle-creek-cargo-hauler-wheeled-duffel-110-luggage/?aid=400cd3ed37635dc1d314a9a1b5a0c71b&pid=10004&gclid=CjwKCAiAv4n9BRA9EiwA30WND_cl51IsTuxSfxYaMWechLgDGmk4dIekyIWo85om-OlcQ8U3dgvsERoC2csQAvD_BwE&wt_mc=uk.pla.google_uk.1676611643.64624913909.325169400460
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Roguevfr, will check out ebay and the Ogio bag is amazing - I’ve seen it, just the weight is the issue, but I guess that’s what makes it bombproof.

@Tazz2bme, yeah haven’t found the ultralight version but think I’ll order myself a 130l eagle creek.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@extremerob, I've got an Ogio one and I was going to suggest it .. but as you say its heavy .. and bombproof.
Mine is in KTM livery, I can always spot it on the carousel.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DrLawn , I like the ktm one colours. Mine is just black, but it has Suzuki livery.
latest report
it luggage is superlight. But probably won't last as long.
snow conditions
@Roguevfr When I say the OGIO one first I think it was a Red Bull one and it really looked the business.
My last motorbike was a Suzuki, but I got off it on 8th August 1979 .. I remember seeing how blue the sky was as my life also flashed before me. Sad

Its a great bag very sturdy on its sledge.
I do have a Salamon one as well, its quite a bit smaller, but its coming apart at the seams now.
I did buy it 2nd hand from eBay though.

I have trouble getting my luggage under 23Kg, with boots + mojos + laptop and clothing.
I've booked a flight hopefully to get to the Birthday Bash with Ryanair ... but their limit is only 20Kg .. forcing me to take a 2nd bag wink

latest report
We have used Dakine split rollers for a few years now, they are a little heavier than your target however they are the most robust bags we have ever owned,
snow report
Just leaving a note here for the future incase anyone is looking for something.

Lightweight and pretty rugged Ortlieb are worth taking a look at: https://www.ortlieb.com/uk/duffle-rs+K13102
ski holidays
extremerob wrote:

Lightweight and pretty rugged Ortlieb are worth taking a look at: https://www.ortlieb.com/uk/duffle-rs+K13102

+1 for the Ortlieb range, we have a whole family of them from 30L to 110L. Brilliant bags and a step up from anything I’ve used before (TNF,RAB etc). The 80L with the extendable handle is probably the sweet spot for weeklong + trips.
ski holidays
extremerob wrote:

Great find - Very eye catching and easy to spot at any Luggage Collection Point! How long is the warranty?

If you are looking for another soft shell luggage/wheelie, that could be flattened when empty, here's another at John Lewis, comes with a 30 year warranty:

https://www.johnlewis.com/eastpak-tranverz-2-wheel-79cm-large-case/triple-denim/p5065198

All the best!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy