Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The last days of summer - urban skiing

Poster: A snowHead
The last month has seen glorious weather with temperatures getting up to 20C in the afternoon in the alpine valleys. It also seems the air is much clearer with the lockdown. So I worked out a covid friendly training loop and (roller)skied around it on Sunday and found time to take a bit of video.

http://youtube.com/v/dS-sq-vvvbM

today it is a return, or the start, of true winter with snow down to 1600 meters and a chill northerly wind blowing.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@davidof, disappointed we didn't see any laps of the Crolles skatepark bowl in there! That would be quite spicy on roller skis Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@offpisteskiing, next video but only the montages russes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good effort!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is some obstacle action in this video

http://youtube.com/v/4sNkZjucflw
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Is it like buying an avalanche set, can you get the skates, poles and rifle cheaper in a set?

….. and where are the brakes on them things? (seriously how do they stop?)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB wrote:
Is it like buying an avalanche set, can you get the skates, poles and rifle cheaper in a set?

I'm interested, but only if it comes with a skier like the ones in the video.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
DB wrote:

I'm interested, but only if it comes with a skier like the ones in the video.

Must admit when I saw the first video my first thought was "that's a bit poncy" but after watching the second video a few times I'm thinking I could get into that.

PS I'm serious - how do you stop/slow down when going at speed?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB wrote:

PS I'm serious - how do you stop/slow down when going at speed?

at speed? well you are a bit in the poo if you need to do an emergency stop so you have to think about where to roll first and control your speed. Inline skating is similar really.

There are brakes but they are a bit clunky

You can fit speed reducers which you apply at the top of a hill - they are little wheels that rub on the ski wheels

see from page 12 in this book

https://issuu.com/davidzof/docs/the_art_of_rollerskiing__3_

To control you speed you have the good old snowplough or T-stop if someone is paying for your wheels.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@davidof,

Think I'd be a bit Frank Spencer on those things.

http://youtube.com/v/lFLpwRMS00g&t=7s

Do they help with alpine skiing or just cross country skiing?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof wrote:
@offpisteskiing, next video but only the montages russes

Very Happy I don't blame you!!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB wrote:
@davidof,

I'll say the same as I said on the rollerblading thread. There are better things you can do with your time. Any sport has got to be better than sitting in front of a computer and a sport that involves balance can't be a bad thing. However, you would be better cycling or running and if you want to improve balance, get a balance board.

As for cross country. Again what was said in the roller blading thread applied. If you already have the technique dialed in it is just the same. If you have poor technique then practice (rollerskiing) will just make permanent.

To sum up. It is a sport in its own right. Best to do it with an instructor or coach to avoid bad habits and I think it is easier to develop bad habits compared to on snow X-country.

I assume michael crawford was actually very very good to be that bad, didn't he do all his own stunts? Not bad for a singer.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof wrote:
DB wrote:
@davidof,

I'll say the same as I said on the rollerblading thread. There are better things you can do with your time. Any sport has got to be better than sitting in front of a computer and a sport that involves balance can't be a bad thing. However, you would be better cycling or running and if you want to improve balance, get a balance board.

As for cross country. Again what was said in the roller blading thread applied. If you already have the technique dialed in it is just the same. If you have poor technique then practice (rollerskiing) will just make permanent.

To sum up. It is a sport in its own right. Best to do it with an instructor or coach to avoid bad habits and I think it is easier to develop bad habits compared to on snow X-country.

I assume michael crawford was actually very very good to be that bad, didn't he do all his own stunts? Not bad for a singer.

Have a balance board (must start using it again. )

Yes I've heard Crawford did all his own stunts too, he was awesome in that role although he wasn't first choice.

Quote:
Michael Crawford was the third choice for the role of Frank Spencer. The part had been created for Norman Wisdom (based on the physical clowning, pratfalls and ineptitude of his "Gump" character), but he had to turn it down due to other commitments . Ronnie Barker also turned it down. Dudley Moore was also considered for the role.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069634/trivia
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB wrote:

Yes I've heard Crawford did all his own stunts too, he was awesome in that role although he wasn't first choice.

Quote:
Michael Crawford was the third choice for the role of Frank Spencer. The part had been created for Norman Wisdom (based on the physical clowning, pratfalls and ineptitude of his "Gump" character), but he had to turn it down due to other commitments . Ronnie Barker also turned it down. Dudley Moore was also considered for the role.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069634/trivia

almost, but not quite, Buster Keatonesque levels of mastery.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If there's anyone in East London area who's up for a bit of socially distanced rollerski, wife and I are just getting into this - been out with the rollerski.co.uk group at Hogg Hill a few times, but looking to practice at Olympic Park or nearby.

Failing that, if you find us lying in a heap on the tarmac, swearing, do say hello!
latest report
hamilton wrote:
If there's anyone in East London area who's up for a bit of socially distanced rollerski, wife and I are just getting into this - been out with the rollerski.co.uk group at Hogg Hill a few times, but looking to practice at Olympic Park or nearby.

Failing that, if you find us lying in a heap on the tarmac, swearing, do say hello!

Rollerski.co.uk are great for getting started. Good stuff, keep it up!
snow conditions
@hamilton, here are some exercises to improve posture and balance, both classic and skating styles covered

http://youtube.com/v/wYEkgj-_TAk
snow report
@hamilton, I jogged past a group training in the Olympic Park a few weeks back - the coach had them "skating" up a steep muddy embankment (he skated, they side-stepped) and then zig-zagging down again (well, most of them seemed to be side-stepping down too). It looked absolutely mad (but also sort of weirdly good fun)!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy