Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eagle ski club question

Poster: A snowHead
Anybody a member of the eagle ski club? How active is there Scottish side?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arno is your man for Eagles info..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The way things are I can see the membership secretary being busy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@WASHOUT, I have been a member for nearly 20 years (mostly involved in off piste coaching though) - there is an active Scottish scene and from a brief glance at the schedule for this winter there is even more planned. If memory serves the website has lots of the dates visible even to non-members.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I did see the calendar but my job is not the best for booking in advance and knowing when I am going to be at home. What I am more looking for is a last minute group ie weather is nice tomorrow anybody keen on a tour at glenshee. I did see they had a whatsapp group for this, is there anybody in it?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@WASHOUT, they have a forum for member organised trips

I haven't done a lot with them recently (no big deal - I just organise stuff to amuse myself these days) but I expect they will have caught up with WhatsApp now
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@WASHOUT, I'm moving to the north-east of Scotland in February next year and will be in a similar position regarding time off at short notice. I've not previously been a member of the Eagle ski club, but I am thinking about joining to increase the amount of touring I do.

The British Backcountry group on Fb seems quite active for Scottish skiing. If you do find anything useful for arranging short notice stuff I'd like to know too.

If not, post on here when the snow arrives. I'm always keen to do more skiing if I'm not at work Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Critical_Al where abouts are you moving to? There is a backcountry groups for Aberdeen and Inverness on Facebook. I have only done a 2 day intro at aviemore so planning on doing more lesons/guided.

I will be joining eagle its only £35, I like the look of it as more of a club set up than likes of SCGB ....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@WASHOUT, if your planning on touring at Glenshee this season and using the Ski Centre car park, be aware you'll need to pay £5 for a parking voucher and display it on your vehicle. Book and pay online only I think.

www.ski-glenshee.co.uk
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@WASHOUT, I'm moving to Elgin so I'll have a look at that Fb group, thanks. I've done a reasonable amount of day tours in the alps, but Scottish winter will be a bit of a step up in terms of conditions. Looking forward to this season though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does eagle ski club accept splitboarders?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A nice bit of country that, I have been up there doing a lot of open water swimming this summer.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think this is open access?

https://www.eagleskiclub.org.uk/uk-events/scottish-meets
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^^^ Nope....You need to log in. Visible to members only...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountainaddict wrote:
^^^ Nope....You need to log in. Visible to members only...

The list of events is visable but you need to be s member to see more details.
latest report
LittleBullet wrote:
Does eagle ski club accept splitboarders?

Yes, there's some splitboarders but the majority are ski tourers.
snow conditions
Some very interesting, exotic Eagles trips in 2021 - eg Georgia. I could well be interested in joining the club...

But as prices aren't visible to non-members, can anyone advise on typical costs of Eagles trips as follows:

- A week's ski tour in the Alps with a professional guide?
- As above but for a member-led trip? Are these just the costs of accommodation, food and drink? Or do people chip in towards the costs of the member leading the trip?

I'm trying to ascertain how costs compare with companies like Ski Club GB, Icicle, Jagged Globe etc. Or versus just booking a private guide for a small group.

Cheers.
snow report
Most ESC trips are done as economically as reasonably possible. On member led tours, leaders get a contribution towards expenses from the club but you certainly aren’t paying for their whole trip

Not sure of your financial situation but there are also grants available for educational trips
snow conditions
Hi, on member led trips you just pay your common expenses, refuge, hotel, travel etc. The leader pays their part but can claim a grant towards their costs.
snow report
I don't think I'll be strung up for a copy and paste of a random trip, just to show how they're costed.

Cost:
Approximate costs for this trip are:
Hut half pensions at sfr75 pp (discount for alpine club members) x 4 = sfr300, Hotel B&Bs at sfr45 x 2 plus evening meal budget sfr30 = sfr150, lifts Glacier 3000 Sfr50, picnics sfr50. Plus guide accommodation and uplift per person Sfr100 Internal taxi and train transportation on tour sfr100
Total budget for the course expenses Sfr750 (£600) per person.
Group Size; 1:4 minimum 1:6 maximum.
Guiding costs per person for 6 days guiding are dependent on the number attending.
4 members: £650 each
5 members: £550 each
6 members: £500 each
ski holidays
Worth a mention that membership is only £35, it went up a tenner for affiliation to Mountaineering Scotland, to provide liability insurance. That gives further benefits, a glossy mag and my first 2021 wall planner.
snow report
@mountainaddict, re the professional-led ESC trips prices will be very similar (unsurprisingly) to other professional led trips (by the companies you mention and others...).
latest report
Thanks to all for the responses - much appreciated Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy