Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring boots

Poster: A snowHead
My boyfriend has been skiing with me for a while (10 weeks+) and is thinking of getting his first pair of ski boots. I do a bit of touring so I'm wondering if his first pair of ski boots could be AT? Are there any disadvantages of having AT boots if he is predominantly going to be skiing in resorts? My thinking is that if he has AT he at least has the option to go touring with me...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If he's used to rentals he'll love whatever he gets Smile I use my Lange tourers for everything. Don't see any disadvantage unless he goes super light.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@freethemind, How much skiing will he do a year? Reasonably, how much touring?

There are compromises, notably that (+/-) getting as much downhill performance out of touring boots generally = $$$ and weight. So arguably better not to compromise and rent touring kit if it's only going to be the odd day on one or two weeks a year.

If he doesn't have his own touring skis, then you'll be making a trip to the shop for the skis anyway.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just my €0.02 cent
Renting touring boots is like using somebody elses un-washed but dried out underwear. The risk of getting blisters from badly fitting touring boots is higher too.

Expert and heavy alpine skiers tend to notice the shortcomings of the typically less stiff touring boots more, but if you go for a downhill oriented touring boot I wouldn't expect a problem for your boyfriend esp if he's not a heavy lad.
I ski in my touring boots most of the time but when I'm with better skiers (skiing above 50 kpm) I'll opt for for my Alpine boots which are over twice the weight.

Here is a selection of downhill oriented touring boots (best to try before you buy and use the services of a respected boot fitter)
This category boot has a typical weight of 2.9 to 3.7 kg per pair

https://skitourguru.com/de/ausrustung/kategorie/4-tourenskischuhe?fulltext=&year=2020&attributes%5Battribute_select_516%5D=&attributes%5Battribute_select_510%5D=16637&attributes%5Battribute_start_27%5D=&attributes%5Battribute_end_27%5D=&attributes%5Battribute_start_275%5D=&attributes%5Battribute_end_275%5D=&attributes%5Battribute_start_68%5D=&attributes%5Battribute_end_68%5D=&attributes%5Battribute_select_66%5D=&attributes%5Battribute_select_509%5D=&attributes%5Battribute_start_221%5D=&attributes%5Battribute_end_221%5D=&attributes%5Battribute_start_1%5D=&attributes%5Battribute_end_1%5D=&attributes%5Battribute_multicheckbox_5%5D%5B0%5D=1189&attributes%5Battribute_multicheckbox_5%5D%5B1%5D=1305&filterSubmit=Filter

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 19-11-20 10:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm using Lange XT Freetours - essentially a lightweight alpine boot with tech fittings and a walk mode. They are badged as 130 flex but are not a true 130 - they're a bit softer. Otherwise they ski like a regular alpine boot.

Downside is that they are heavy. You can use them with tech bindings, which mitigates the issue but you are still looking at 2kg per boot including footbeds. I really notice it when I am with people on lighter gear. Limit for me on this set up is about 700 vertical metres or roughly two hours up.

So, if your ambition is short tours then the "one boot" solution is viable. If you are looking to do serious vertical together then I'd be looking at something a lot lighter that will offer a lower level of downhill performance.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So the question is how many ski days a year and what ratio up to downhill?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
So the question is how many ski days a year and what ratio up to downhill?

Roughly 1:1 when touring wink

Yes smartarse answer but I'm not totally convinvinced the answer matters much - a boot that is a PITA to tour in won't encourage much uphill at all, whereas as a first boot a skier won't really have experience of higher performance boots for the downhill to compare them to so any respectably solid boot that fits will probably work.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@freethemind,

Nope. For a first pair of boots a good fitting freeride pair will be a big upgrade from rental gear, although you may pay a premium for the walk mode/inserts

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 19-11-20 13:34; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's all relative to fitness - if the boyfriend is fitter there shouldn't be much of a disadvantage in getting good quality downhill-oriented touring boots (be sure to check they are compatible with alpine bindings, not all touring boots are)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB wrote:
(be sure to check they are compatible with alpine bindings, not all touring boots are)

Good point - ski situation not mentioned - will BF have skis or be renting them in which case probably easier to rent frame touring bindings than tech set ups (though maybe not my much)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well tbh he's a bit lazy I might get him to come touring with me maybe one day a year or two if I'm lucky. I just don't want him to have excuses like "oh but I need to rent touring gears" Smile Toofy Grin

Then I wonder how much of a compromise if he's mainly using AT boots for downhill compared to standard alpine boots
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As said above, check the sole type. The touring standard now is Grip Walk. A lot of hire skis will have multi norm compatible (MNC) bindings but some may only take an alpine (non touring) sole.

I have walk-to-ride, WTR, touring soles which is like the Betamax of sole type. And I’ve had the guys shaking their heads in hire shops saying they haven’t got any skis with bindings to fit.

I think it’s not much compromise. You can get boots like Lange Freetour in 110 and 130 stiffness.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
freethemind wrote:
Well tbh he's a bit lazy I might get him to come touring with me maybe one day a year or two if I'm lucky. I just don't want him to have excuses like "oh but I need to rent touring gears" Smile Toofy Grin

Then I wonder how much of a compromise if he's mainly using AT boots for downhill compared to standard alpine boots

Sounds like it's got nothing to do with the boots, you might want to look at changing something else instead. wink

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 20-11-20 9:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm intending to use my Black Diamond Method touring boots for everything this winter. I've both soles and they don't get enough touring use. May change this December though if we ever get any snow Laughing My trusty Head boots are really past it after over 500 days use.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
freethemind wrote:

Sounds like time to change the BF. I’m sure you’ll find plenty of eager tourers (with benefits) on here Very Happy
ski holidays
@freethemind, I'm going to reverse my earlier comment, to an extent, if you look at something like the Lange XT Free ... (not that I'm suggesting that particular boot) ...

- It's a bit more expensive than an alpine only equivalent - but not so much - ~<€100?
- It's a bit (1,600g a foot vs 2,125g) lighter - which gets you a slightly comfier experience - not really something for longer ups
- but is probably no terrible compromise downhill after only 10 weeks (nominal 130 boots also available)
- and most importantly, is a most fetching shade of orange

So tl:dr it's probs not much of a downhill compromise, doesn't cost much more, doesn't really get a light touring setup, but if it takes away an excuse ... maybe worth it.

Really nice colours though, that should swing it.
latest report
@BobinCH,
Great minds think alike.

@under a new name,
I knew we would convince you in the end.

@freethemind,
I might be interested - please send picture (of your touring setup). wink
snow conditions
@DB, not sure my orginal comments were so far wrong, only by degree. I mean, last year I finally pulled the plug on touring boots as only pair myself. Although @BobinCH, and I don't agree on whether this was a totally optimal idea or not Twisted Evil

likely to impose the same on Mrs U this year ... her "new to her" rando skis & bindings off to the shop today for fettling in preparation for a boot fitting appointment on Tuesday wink She does have a tiny little bit of life left in her race boots, must be said though.
ski holidays
@under a new name,

My comments (as often) were tonque in cheek. There's no right or wrong answer, depends on the person and what compromise they want to take. A heavier/more agressive skier would normally be making a bigger compromise. Maybe that's why you and Bob don't quite agree.
When I went for my lighter weight touring boots (TLT6 Carbon) I procrastinated for ages thinking that maybe a stiffer heavier model was the way to go instead. In the end I met someone who had both the TLT6 carbons's and heavier freeride touring boots. He said he spent over 90% of the time touring in the TLT6's.
It's not just about weight either - range of (cuff) motion is a significant part of the equation too - some freeride boots have very limited ROM's.

If I was in the position of the OP's boyfriend ….

1) If I didn't own my own alpine skis I'd consider getting a freeride boot that has interchangable soles so I don't have any messing about when renting skis.
2) I'd think seriously about this touring thing if I want to hang onto my GF. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
As a fan of the Nordica Speedmachine alpine boot, I just threw some cash at the new Nordica Stryder 130’s. Suspect I’ll do 80% of my touring on the Zero-G’s but for the more gnarly stuff I want the significantly more secure feel of a burlier boot.
snow report
@DB, oh, I didn't think they were anything other than tongue in cheek wink - we don't take ourselves too seriously round here? do we?

That's actually a very good point, I'm really sure that (me being a complete lightweight) Bob's going to be heavier than me - aggression? who knows, hard to measure I'd say. This year I am hoping to mostly be working on skiing mouflée* in crud and crap.

If I came into a large sum of money tomorrow - that Mrs U hadn't already allocated - would I buy new race boots? As soon as the shops reopen on Monday I would.

But am I generally happy in my tourboots even with stock liners? Yep, 99% of the time. (What's the boot equivalent of a quiver?) ?

* no, I don't really know what it means either but it was a suggestion given to me by a very fine skier indeed (think 1950s Olympics) in 1988 and I've been trying to work it out ever since.
snow conditions
@under a new name,

Using my very bestest google search skills.
"poulie mouflée" translates to "flaschenzug" in german which means "pulley tackle" in English. Skiing with your tackle out maybe?

Beefed the TLT6's up with intuition liners and booster straps. Suppose I will have to replace them soon (2013 model).

I'm not sure what name is given to a collection of boots or shoes is. I do know there is a technical term used for people who collect boots/shoes though. They are called "women" (singular = "woman")
snow report
Quote:

- but is probably no terrible compromise downhill after only 10 weeks

@under a new name, I have yet to notice a compromise in performance on the Langes. I think you have to be skiing at a very high level before you start experiencing that. If you were taking them through gates I imagine you would notice.

I think the equation changes the minute you stop touring from lifts.
snow report
Some more reviews here
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/snow-sports/best-backcountry-ski-boots

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2020-2021-lange-xt3-130
snow report
@gorilla, I find that my experience of the Tour pros vs my recollection of my race boots - which I didn't use at all last year - the old boots had a sharper "turn in" to use a motoring phrase.

But it's not enough of an issue to a. make me park with €€ b. be ersed deciding which boot ski combo to use (my rando boots are a BSL size (or 2?) down so I'd need dedicated alpine skis) or carrying 2 pairs of boots around.
snow report
Thank you guys for your advice and entertainment.

Will take a deeper look at Lange and other touring boots. Will get him to try on a few and won't tell him they are touring boots until it's too late!
ski holidays
@freethemind, don’t get hung up on brand. See a good boot fitter. Do what they tell you.
snow report
@freethemind, out of interest where you from? you may have all intentions of buying this boot or that boot. If you're UK based there isn't actually that many retailers with any sort of a decent range of touring boots who you should trust to be selling to you.
I'd strongly recommend basing a ski trip around buying boots. For touring boots preferably Chamonix.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Somewhere like backcountryuk in Ilkley has a huge range of touring and freeride boots to help choose the right one.

I use Scarpa Maestrale RS, great for touring, bloody good on piste too.

As with piste boots, there is huge variety in touring/freeride boots for volume, width, flex. There's no substitute for taking a long while in stockist to try on many different boots, unless of course you know a particular brand fits you really well.

FWIW I'm also looking for a high flex (130?) freeride boot, for when the Maestrales won't quite cut it: it is hard, probably impossible, to find one boot for absolutely everything without making compromises.
snow report
@nickinscottishmountains, Nick, last season I took the long sought decision to replace my knackered race boots with Technica Zero-G 130s. TBH, I don't miss the race things all that much and I couldn't tour in them. Even in a truncated season I probs did 14 randos, probs 45 days total, delighted with them.
snow conditions
nickinscottishmountains wrote:

FWIW I'm also looking for a high flex (130?) freeride boot, for when the Maestrales won't quite cut it: it is hard, probably impossible, to find one boot for absolutely everything without making compromises.

Lange as above, Dalbello Lupo, Tecnica Cochise, Nordica Stryder seem to be some of the popular burly Freeride boot options. No doubt there are Salomon, Atomic, Fischer and Dynafit options too. Lots of good options. Finding boots that fit your foot is key but IME that’s also getting easier with the punchability of the materials. Nice tight heel pocket is the winner for me
ski holidays
Go to a bootfitter.

Personaly I ski in Roxa RX3's with a Wrap around thermo liner (this is very important as it dramaticaly improves the downhill hill performance over stock). With the latest gripwalk soles (new this winter) a walk mode, tech inserts and 1500g they are (for me at least) as good as my Lang Plug (nasty race only things) boots downhill and light enough for most uphill.

But if I have to walk a long way (walk not skin) and do a wholes bunch of stuff on foot I ski in Roxa RX1's they are barely an excuse of an upgrade from trainers, a cable across the front and velcro on the cuff. They do however ski as well or better than my Dalbello Virus and much better than Scarpa's of the 2000's. I spent a whole season guiding cat skiing in them, as my only outdoor footwear, So Ski, Work, Walk, Skin etc. They are 1100g wich is quite heavy for the lighter end of the market but they are much cheaper than most other comparable boots.
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, I’m UK based. Would it be more expensive to have boots fitting done in the mountains?

@under a new name, yes I’ve heard good things about Colin in Oxford so will give him a visit
ski holidays
freethemind wrote:
@Mother hucker, I’m UK based. Would it be more expensive to have boots fitting done in the mountains?

@under a new name, yes I’ve heard good things about Colin in Oxford so will give him a visit

Colin told me to buy Chamonix, due to him not carrying many touring boots as its not his target market, I have had alpine boots from him in the past though and he's as good at fitting boots as anyone else you'll find.
Price im unsure, its really important to me to have the right person fitting the right boot to my foot, Sole boot lab did me and wife last year and i'll be going back for some new liners as well once travel restrictions open up.
snow report
@freethemind, solutions for feet carries a really good selection of crossover boots. It's where I got the boots I mentioned earlier in the thread. Their selection of lighter, dedicated touring boots is much more limited. Worth talking to them and getting a view. They are the best bootfitter I have used in the UK.
ski holidays
Idris wrote:
Go to a bootfitter.

Personaly I ski in Roxa RX3's with a Wrap around thermo liner (this is very important as it dramaticaly improves the downhill hill performance over stock). With the latest gripwalk soles (new this winter) a walk mode, tech inserts and 1500g they are (for me at least) as good as my Lang Plug (nasty race only things) boots downhill and light enough for most uphill.

But if I have to walk a long way (walk not skin) and do a wholes bunch of stuff on foot I ski in Roxa RX1's they are barely an excuse of an upgrade from trainers, a cable across the front and velcro on the cuff. They do however ski as well or better than my Dalbello Virus and much better than Scarpa's of the 2000's. I spent a whole season guiding cat skiing in them, as my only outdoor footwear, So Ski, Work, Walk, Skin etc. They are 1100g wich is quite heavy for the lighter end of the market but they are much cheaper than most other comparable boots.

The Roxa's look great.
https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2019-2020-roxa-r3-130-t-i

I went from 4kg/pair touring boots with wrap around liner to 2.3 kg / pair and intution touring touring liner. The 4kg pair pair were a bit robocop but I can run in my current pair.
The ROM on the RX3's doesn't look that high (mid 40's), would you use them with the wrap around liner on a mull-day tour or would you reach for the RX1's?

It would be good to have a multiday and a day trip/sidecountry pair of boots with the same BSL. Are the boot sole lengths the same on your RX1 and RX3's. They appear to be different in this table.
https://www.evo.com/guides/ski-boot-sole-length-size-chart
snow conditions
DB wrote:
Idris wrote:
Go to a bootfitter.

The Roxa's look great.
https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2019-2020-roxa-r3-130-t-i

I went from 4kg/pair touring boots with wrap around liner to 2.3 kg / pair and intution touring touring liner. The 4kg pair pair were a bit robocop but I can run in my current pair.
The ROM on the RX3's doesn't look that high (mid 40's), would you use them with the wrap around liner on a mull-day tour or would you reach for the RX1's?

It would be good to have a multiday and a day trip/sidecountry pair of boots with the same BSL. Are the boot sole lengths the same on your RX1 and RX3's. They appear to be different in this table.
https://www.evo.com/guides/ski-boot-sole-length-size-chart

That’s a great review. Hasn’t heard much about Roxa but they sound very interesting
ski holidays
@BobinCH,

The sales rep from Roxa looks somehow familiar. wink

http://youtube.com/v/mJ3SP4TrItg
snow report
DB wrote:
@BobinCH,

The sales rep from Roxa looks somehow familiar. wink

http://youtube.com/v/mJ3SP4TrItg

Haha dude!

Lucky his skiing is better than his reviews Very Happy
latest report
freethemind wrote:

I don't think it's any more expensive out here, you just need to know who you're going to visit. Not every resort has a good fitter.

Colin, who posts on here as CEM is very well regarded.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy