Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Journals

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead

In 1984 somebody gave me a blank book and I thought “this is stupid, I’ll never use it”. But I stepped into my boards on November 11, 1984 and when I got home, for some reason I decided to jot down a few observations in that stupid book and I have done so each and every ski day since—37 years and counting. New, interesting and faraway places get a page or three; entries for local days at this point are short, not much to say. But like basically everyone on this site I have been beyond lucky, and in these books I have the proof. I try not to look at them too much, but once in a while I do and the memories and smiles come flooding back. When and if my brain starts to go, I hope these will help fill in some blanks.

Beyond fun, there is a ton of good intel in there. For example, don’t bother going to Jackson Hole if they have <65” base. Or, yes you really can get back to the base via Tower 21 road (Mt Bachelor). There is radar speed control as you enter many small towns in Italy (among many other places). Don’t order blood sausage again (Meribel)!

It is almost all about skiing, too. Births, deaths, marriage get brief mention. Major goings on in the world find their way in at times, for context. I skied today, and when I write about it rest assurred I'll be commenting on yesterday's sad debacle. But this ain't a diary, its a ski journal.

These books have brought me much pleasure over the years, and it occurs to me that some of you might enjoy doing so as well. (first photo post, we'll see)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Coincidence? I don’t think so.
BURN THEM!! wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Scooter in Seattle, I imagine they’re a fascinating read. The 80s notes must reflect some big differences compared with the last few years. Material for a book in the future? Or at least a snowHeads thread?

I just have pictures, images and fading memories. Reminds me I still need to edit those down. I reckon <0.5% of mine will survive the cull. My 80s skiwear should be good for a laugh.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fantastic
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds brilliant @Scooter in Seattle and I'm sure I'm not the only one wishing I'd done this.

Thanks for sharing... but would love it if you shared the odd random snippet across the season.

Maybe releasing a bit of a day on its respective anniversary? Puzzled

With the lack of snow action most of us this side of the pond are going to get, we could all live vicariously through your history!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scooter in Seattle, that’s brilliant. I started a blog for the family in 2007 which I've managed to keep going, but to keep that up since 1984 is awesome.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scooter in Seattle,
Great dedication. Just make sure you have no corresponding selfies - those 80s & 90s hair styles. Embarassed
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@AL9000, if I burn them, wouldn't that be Fahrenheit 451? My caption didn't make it onto the post, but it was: "You could blackmail me with these".

I'll toss out a couple anniversaries here in a bit. Or maybe I'll pick something interesting and then you can fire back with one of your own.

I've found that the amount of time it takes me to write it down is reflective of how great the day was...epic days, I can't wait to write. Local days in flat light I have to force myself.

@PeakyB, we were talking about 80's skiwear yesterday on the chair. Mine's long gone, but two years ago I rode with a guy in a onesie, and he owns 82 of them....literally a roomfull. Different strokes.....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Following on from a chat on here, I bought the wife a copy of Debrett's World of Ski from 1988 (which was about the last year she skied with her father) off e-Bay as a bit of a gag gift this christmas. What a little goldmine that was. Not only an genuine in-print article from Goldsmith about equipment tech, but a quite remarkable article from Ms. Minty Clinch which starts "The braying in Verbier has to be heard to be believed".

I, for one, awaitthe publication of excerpts from Scooters War Diaries.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
When I was a Ski Club of rep, every rep kept a daily dairy for each resort, for each day of the season - snow conditions, weather, people skied with, lunch stops, runs taken etc, anecdotes, etc... Have often wondered what happened to them all - would have been an interesting historical resource...

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 8-01-21 23:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So I don't have a written record, but my OH has been digitising all our photos whilst we've all been stuck at home, and has got back as far as 1987. I first went skiing in 1989, and the record of dodgy ski suits, dodgy skiing, and outdated equipment is quite amusing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

if I burn them, wouldn't that be Fahrenheit 451?

Touché! snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy