Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Argggh AirBNB / Home and Away etc rejecting bookings where am I going wrong?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Twice after booking on AirBNB and Home and Away i have had my booking requests rejected. Its so frustrating as I spend hours and hours searching and deliberating over accommodation, only for it to be then declined. Where am i going wrong? Why do people advertise something that is not available? I always put a nice message on too - "I am looking forward to spending our family holiday in your beautiful accommodation etc etc"!

I have just had a booking for Courchevel declined for Feb next year giving this reason "au motif que la période d’occupation personnelle n’est pas encore arrêté à ce jour"

Then in late 2019 I tried to book Courchevel (different apartment) for early this year and had the booking declined as the guy said he was selling it - yet its still available to book even next year with the same host!

Admittingly I am booking quite far in advance, but with 3 kids under 8 who have never been to a ski resort I want to know where I am going and plan ahead. For this year we ended up booking with Crystal and I doubt it will go ahead. For next year the price with Crystal is 150% more expensive so trying to do a DIY package again. I may just stop looking on AirBnB and similar sites as I am losing faith, I think people are wrongly advertising accommodation that is not available or maybe they do not want families.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jimmytwoburgers, Interesting, I've just had a couple of bookings rejected this week, and I`ve been using them for years.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CaravanSkier wrote:
@jimmytwoburgers, Interesting, I've just had a couple of bookings rejected this week, and I`ve been using them for years.
Air bnb that is
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jimmytwoburgers, sometimes AirBnB will automatically release accommodation that really isn't available. There's a setting an owner needs to adjust to stop it happening, but sadly, many put their accommodation on there without really knowing how the site works, it can sometimes be quite complicated to work out. People also sell up and forget to delete their ad.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CaravanSkier wrote:
CaravanSkier wrote:
Air bnb that is

Its frustrating isn't it. Its like being 18 all over again and being rejected on the dance floor Very Happy

What other sites are good for booking? I've not been for 8 years so out of the loop a bit! I have tried Booking.com, sunweb, flip key, crystal, iglu ski, pierrevacances. Interestingly quite a few are not yet taking bookings for next year which I find odd but maybe that's the norm?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hells Bells wrote:
@jimmytwoburgers, sometimes AirBnB will automatically release accommodation that really isn't available. There's a setting an owner needs to adjust to stop it happening, but sadly, many put their accommodation on there without really knowing how the site works, it can sometimes be quite complicated to work out. People also sell up and forget to delete their ad.

Oh really? I think I might avoid them then, we are quite fussy and it takes ages to find somewhere. I have probably spent most of Christmas looking and agreed on this particular place with all the family. Now we are back to square one.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jimmytwoburgers, Look for instant booking and always read all the reviews to see how many are auto cancelled.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Never had any problems booking through the Tourist Office website of resorts.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jimmytwoburgers, on airbnb look for “superhosts” if possible. Basically means they are reliable, respond quickly, don’t cancel bookings and get good feedback. Like us Cool
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jimmytwoburgers, you could pick a resort you like, and try their tourist office, or Google as some will have business listings on there. However, it is quite early to be booking private accommodation for next year. Many owners don't know whether they are coming or going right now.
If you see something you like, why not message the owners and ask when they will be releasing their availability for next winter? Have a shortlist, and contact them all. AirBnB and HomeAway also charge large commissions or booking fees to both owners and their guests. Some of these may have personal websites too, which you may find easily enough if you use a search engine, and you may find prices more acceptable.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How far in advance do people normally book Ski Holidays these days? I always book big holidays at least 12 months in advance. When i am looking at some places on Booking.com for Feb next year its saying act quick this area is 99% booked up - not sure how accurate that is?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Normally book in September from resort’s own tourist information website, (normally winter bookings released after summer holidays).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells Bells wrote:
@jimmytwoburgers, you could pick a resort you like, and try their tourist office, or Google as some will have business listings on there. However, it is quite early to be booking private accommodation for next year. Many owners don't know whether they are coming or going right now.
If you see something you like, why not message the owners and ask when they will be releasing their availability for next winter? Have a shortlist, and contact them all. AirBnB and HomeAway also charge large commissions or booking fees to both owners and their guests. Some of these may have personal websites too, which you may find easily enough if you use a search engine, and you may find prices more acceptable.

Good points, although I do find the tourist office sites a bit of a battle. Eg looking at the Courchevel one some of the accommodation listed has no contact details, no prices, and no details of availability. I will have to start hammering google a bit more I think Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DaiSki wrote:
Normally book in September from resort’s own tourist information website, (normally winter bookings released after summer holidays).

Thats good to know - I think i am looking to early, I am quite specific on the places I want to go as well. With it being the kids first ski trip I want to go somewhere that I am familiar with, so only have a small list to work from with Courchevel 1850 being my first choice and probably the most expensive Sad !
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@jimmytwoburgers, Look for instant booking and always read all the reviews to see how many are auto cancelled.

I always favour the instant booking properties on these agency sites if there os not much to choose between.
ski holidays
@jimmytwoburgers, booking.com will say somewhere is 99% booked if there is no availability showing for your dates, for whatever reason. Owners will probably not have put those dates onto their calendar yet. I tend to use AirBnB and booking.com as last minute ads for my own apartment. I will use my website first.
ski holidays
@jimmytwoburgers, as @Hells Bells, has said some of the accommodation are listed by local agent immobiliers, Who can put you on a waiting list and will contact you when dates are released.
latest report
yip, had the same happen a couple of times when booking for easter 2021 (optimistic I know). Eventually got a booking verified through the tourist office for the area (orelle)
snow conditions
Tourist information websites usually very good in my experience but they can only be as good as the property owners. Tourist information websites will have the accommodation for less than Booking.com etc as the owners don’t have the exorbitant listing costs.

Airbnb is very good but you pay a fortune in service fees for the convenience
ski holidays
From an owner's point of view. ABB is good as the guest pays the service and commission. From a guest point of view BC is good because the owner pays (anything from 15%) . HomeAway and Trip Advisor just charge everyone an exorbitant amount.
snow report
@jimmytwoburgers, we rarely listed our properties more than 12 months ahead, and if we did they were always “optimistically” priced (for us)...
snow report
I've found the tourist office websites really good too - booking in autumn for Feb half term. We are a family of 4 and I am quite picky about accom and there has always been choice. I don't think a lot of owners put things up through them until late summer.

Out of curiosity, what are your other resorts you'd consider as I'd have thought for 3 kids under 8, Courchevel 1850 with the size of resort /ski area and associated traipsing to /from lessons might be too much for little legs. That and the costs!
snow report
I don't know about anywhere else, but CHamonix TO is the last place I'd be looking for accommodation ...
latest report
under a new name wrote:
I don't know about anywhere else, but CHamonix TO is the last place I'd be looking for accommodation ...

St Anton's used to be really good; long tome since I used them, though.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@jimmytwoburgers, we rarely listed our properties more than 12 months ahead, and if we did they were always “optimistically” priced (for us)...

Same here.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy