Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"It depends"

Poster: A snowHead
Is usually a good answer when describing what you should do to make something happen when skiing. Where to apply pressure, how much movement you should make, skidding vs carving, etc.... But are there any absolute "rules" in skiing that instead of saying "it depends" we would say NEVER EVER or ALWAYS MAKE SURE you should do/not do something... Silly comments welcome as well as serious ones Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Always remember to have your favoured turnward foot upmost and ensure you initiate using a counter-wising clockweighted swing rotation; unless skiing south of the Equator, in which case the Coriolis effect reverses the above to the below and you should swap skis or ski backwards. Of course, this is the only correct way to ski pitches inclined between 17 and -28 degrees; and declined before half-past four.

Overly fretting about carving angulation, improper pole plants and inner tip leads to sub-optimal fun conditions, and one should NEVER ski while experiencing sub-optimal fun.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret wrote:
Is usually a good answer when describing what you should do to make something happen when skiing. Where to apply pressure, how much movement you should make, skidding vs carving, etc.... But are there any absolute "rules" in skiing that instead of saying "it depends" we would say NEVER EVER or ALWAYS MAKE SURE you should do/not do something... Silly comments welcome as well as serious ones Toofy Grin

Not an instructor but I can see a place for almost everything at times.

I question whether it is ever right to ski with stiff legs* or throw your upper body around though

*OK your downhill leg may be quite stiff when setting high edge angles but only temporarily
** if you are doing other things wrong then throwing the upper body around may be the only way you can get the skis round but that doesn't make it the right option
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ALWAYS MAKE SURE you pole whack

Apologies @skimottaret, Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skimottaret, some absolutes ...

- never eat the yellow snow

- don't follow someone else's tracks

- you've got no friends on a powder day

- it can't have been your line if I just poached it

- there's only one reason to carry someone else's skis Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Always buy your instructor an espresso.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Or any form of coffee... Smile

@Timberwolf, remind me .... ???
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh, yes, right boot on right foot, (left boot on left foot). Srsly. Had a client complain about boot pain ... 2s fix.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How about the pointy end of skis go at the front (twin tips excepted obviously but only park rats ride those). Had to help a beginner with that one once when they couldnt get into the bindings when trying to clip in facing the wrong way.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sing to yourself whilst skiing. Helps you relax and get in a rhythm.

If feeling brave, you can also try singing really loud when in the queue for the lifts and you'll end up with a big space around you. No-one will step on your skis and there will be no pushing or shoving you.

I regularly saw a guy do this on the Circle line in London. You could here him coming; singing Rule Britania at the top of his voice. He used to wear a bowler hat and had an umbrella against each shoulder, like sloping arms with a rifle. It could be jam packed, but a large space would appear around him on the platform. He'd step onto the train with no shoving and he continued when he got on the tube; again a space would gradually appear around him. He was either genuinely nuts or very clever with large cajones.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Swear.

As you are skiing down a scary slope and you lose control a bit, make sure you shout "F*****ck, f*ck, f*ck, f*ck, f*ck!" before rescuing yourself with a hastily applied hockey stop, then having a slightly insane laugh.

Make sure that AT LEAST once a day, you stop, look around, and ask yourself the question "Why the Be Nice please! am I doing this? Seriously, I've paid thousands of pounds to throw myself down a f*cking mountain with a pair of skirting boards strapped to my feet, why?"

Happy to help.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Never claim you are better than you are, if a member of a Forum - as at some point you will be found out. snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Awdbugga, I always "give a little whistle"
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Never ever get into a discussion about inner tip lead.

Never ever have a day's skiing without laughing at yourself for something stupid you have done.

Always remember if you get on a shitty scrapey piste that power sliding is fast, efficient and a good laff.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Remember to breathe
snow conditions
Never ...

.... tell the other half how much your ski equipment really costs.
.... speak to DG about terms and conditions or taxes.
.... put an "O" on the end of anyones login name.
.... share Masque's vapor rub.
.... look up Boris's skirt. (what has been seen cannot be unseen)
ski holidays
Never try to teach your significant other.
ski holidays
Tubaski wrote:

This, then the yellow snow. Nuff said.
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Quote:

power sliding

Technically, the “racing sideslip” ...
snow report
I like it when I get to the stage of the lesson and I say “Just Ski”
latest report
Tubaski wrote:

Forgot about that one but plus a million Smile
ski holidays
@marodo2712, Like it... I actually have an exercise called the f**k, F**k, F******K drill for learning steep skiing Smile
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
Tubaski wrote:

Forgot about that one but plus a million Smile

Laughing
snow report
@skimottaret, @rob@rar, why do I suspect that one or both of you have been scarred by personal experience? Laughing
snow report
@Hurtle, replace "scarred" by crippled or permanently damaged
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
@Hurtle, replace "scarred" by crippled or permanently damaged
This. On one occasion when I tried to teach Jane we both ended up in tears, of rage or frustration.

On the other hand, when I taught Mrs-skimottaret it was a delight.
latest report
and she probably bought you a coffee, never happened when I tried to teach her Wink
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
and she probably bought you a coffee, never happened when I tried to teach her Wink
Always.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skimottaret, @rob@rar, Laughing Laughing
snow report
On a slightly more serious note one "rule" of skiing I can think of is that it is never useful have more weight on your inside ski than your outside one..
snow report
@skimottaret, unless your outside ski has unexpectedly left the ground for some reason.... Toofy Grin
snow report
I was just about to edit that to say "on purpose" but you beat me to it Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

it is never useful have more weight on your inside ski than your outside one

What about kick turns ?
ski holidays
or worm turns for that matter. but I was thinking only about sliding downhill Smile
snow report
@skimottaret, skating an uphill traverse?
latest report
So never have more weight on your inside ski unless you should. Thats clear.
Surely you shouldn't even have your skis on inside unless you're at a fridge - it'll ruin the Axminster!

Tsk. Skiers... rolling eyes
snow report
@Richard_Sideways,

Unless you are COVID skiing from home.

http://youtube.com/v/_HrIVWziJ0Y
snow report
So which was his inside ski? Was it unweighted and is that why he crashed at the end?
ski holidays
Always make sure the avalanche transceiver is turned on and in send mode when starting the day
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy