Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas-Fee or Jungfrau?

Poster: A snowHead
A new attempt at skiing for this year, but a quick question: I'm planning on heading out this Sunday towards Switzerland. The challenge is choosing between Jungfrau (scheduled to open on the 5th) and Saas-Fee which already has around 52km of pistes open.

The main challenge is choosing between the two. Mid-season I'd have no problem choosing, but with an uncertain opening on Jungfrau I wonder how great the pistes will actually be.
The second challenge is a lot of the Saas-Fee/Valais region is car-free towns. Outside of the pandemic, that'd be no problem - but I'm not sure I appreciate the stickiness to either taxis or trains.

My two questions are:
- Will Jungfrau be any good this early? (And if so, where do you suggest lodging)
- If it has to be Saas-Fee, where on earth does one lodge?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The car free villages generally involve walking from either the station (eg Zermatt) or a car park on the edge of the village (eg Sass Fee) with a few electric carts for transporting baggage should that be needed, no taxis.

There are plenty of hotels etc in Sass Fee, it can be a bit cheaper in Sass Grund but you have to either take a bus or drive (no free parking) to get to Sass Fee. There are some of camping spots in Sass Grund, including one pretty much in the centre of the village.

If you are happy to go skiing then using trains should not be an issue?

I would have thought it is a bit early for the Jungfrau area, there is some snow forecast this week but even so I doubt there will be a lot open. Better option head for Sasstal, Zermatt or Verbier
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

If you are happy to go skiing then using trains should not be an issue?

Just because I'm happy to go skiing doesn't mean it's unusual to want to diminish any other risks as much as possible (apt vs. hotel, car vs. public transport, eating alone vs. piste restaurants).

Quote:

I would have thought it is a bit early for the Jungfrau area

I think so too, I mean, they're only planning on opening a few pistes from what I've seen and I guess that's highly dependent on the weather (which at least, for once, is promising!)
Also, people keep mentioning Verbier, but there doesn't seem to be in fact a lot open. Today's report is 6 pistes and 2 lifts, for example.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There will be plenty of skiing open in the Jungfrau . it has one of the best snow making system around which will provide a great start to the season plenty of snow and cold weather forecast this week Wengen opens on 5/12
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
blind_raven wrote:

Also, people keep mentioning Verbier, but there doesn't seem to be in fact a lot open. Today's report is 6 pistes and 2 lifts, for example.

That is the early season weekend only setup. Suspect it will be very different next weekend with lots of snow forecast and the official resort opening which will mean skiing back into town (1500m) from Attelas (2700m). Accommodation should be (competitively) cheap too. Note restaurants not open so it’s takeaway or self cater.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Big snow forecast for Saas Fee over the next week or so, apparently.

The location of your hotel is a crucial choice as the village is strung out over a large area and lots of accommodation is a long way from the centre and the lifts.

However, with a careful search you can find plenty of accommodation close to the Alpine Express lift or next to the nursery slopes and runs down from the mountain.

If arriving by postbus or at the massive village-edge car parks, most hotels will send their electric cart to collect you and your luggage.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

There will be plenty of skiing open in the Jungfrau . it has one of the best snow making system around which will provide a great start to the season plenty of snow and cold weather forecast this week Wengen opens on 5/12

I like Jungfrau because it has a lot more variety than Saas-Fee (I mean, it's a bit of a non-statement what I'm writing here since it's 250+km of slopes vs 100 in Saas-Fee). But yeah, the worry has been that I might end up on a very small piece of it - in which case I'd take the 50km Saas has to offer.

Any good location to recommend for early season lodging? (I never lodged in Wengen, so if there are any recommendation in regards to locations, I'd more than appreciate it!)

Quote:

That is the early season weekend only setup. Suspect it will be very different next weekend with lots of snow forecast and the official resort opening which will mean skiing back into town (1500m) from Attelas (2700m). Accommodation should be (competitively) cheap too. Note restaurants not open so it’s takeaway or self cater.

Is Verbier announced for a bigger opening after next weekend or is that mostly snow-related?

Quote:

The location of your hotel is a crucial choice as the village is strung out over a large area and lots of accommodation is a long way from the centre and the lifts.

Yeah, that was a bit my worry: there are plenty of accommodations, but then you're stuck with the electric zoomers around town. Again, not a bad thing on its own, just not my preference for this year. Dragging equipment and luggage/stuff for 2 weeks around ain't fun.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Funnily enough, I've found Saas Fee more convenient than the Jungfrau (I like it, by the way) where you seem to spend an awful lot of time on trains and railway station platforms before accessing the skiing.

Wherever your hotel is in Saas, they all have ski and boot storage rooms close to the main lifts so little dragging around of kit/walking in ski boots required!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Wherever your hotel is in Saas, they all have ski and boot storage rooms close to the main lifts so little dragging around of kit/walking in ski boots required!

Fair enough! Currently looking to book a chalet/airbnb-something to avoid the faff of hotels, but that's good to know, many thanks for all the insight!

Meanwhile, I took a look at the webcams around Jungfrau, it's quite dry even at high altitude, and according to Bergfex it's expected to get 23cm of snow tomorrow, and maybe some extra 3cm on Friday (for both Grindelwald and Murren).

On the other hand for Saas, I see more consistent snow tomorrow, Wed and Fri (totaling around 30cm by Sat) - and Saas already has a decent amount of snow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@blind_raven, the point about trains is that if you go skiing you are going to inevitably end up sharing enclosed spaces with others (gondolas, cable cars etc, it is not practical to plan a ski trip around drag lifts), if you accept that then what is the difference with a train, it is likely to be less crowded?

The snow that is forecast is very much focused on the south / Italian side of the main ridge, so Sass Fee is likely to get more snow than the Jungfrau area. The downside for Sass Fee is that it is not the best spot in poor weather conditions, mostly above the tree line with a high proportion on glaciated terrain.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Easy choice in my mind - Sass Fee already has excellent conditions which will only get better. You will spend more time on trains etc in the Jungfrau so I don't really get your point there. The car free nature of Sass Fee is not at all something to be concerned about, if you want to avoid the train it is an easy drive in a hire car from Geneva, parking is at the entrance to the village, then either stay close to the lifts or store your gear close to the lifts (there are plenty of options fo doing so). No need at all to rely on electro taxis, I have never used one in the many years I have been to Sass Fee.

Also your point about variety is unfounded - plenty of off-piste options in Sass, some friends of mine have been enjoying some of that already.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Easy choice in my mind - Sass Fee already has excellent conditions which will only get better. You will spend more time on trains etc in the Jungfrau so I don't really get your point there. The car free nature of Sass Fee is not at all something to be concerned about, if you want to avoid the train it is an easy drive in a hire car from Geneva, parking is at the entrance to the village, then either stay close to the lifts or store your gear close to the lifts (there are plenty of options fo doing so)

Had I had all this info, I wouldn't have asked for advice, that's why I made the thread in the end. Smile So all of this info is helping me book a bit less of an unfortunate choice.
My snow-gut feeling is that indeed, Saas-Fee will be in a better position even after a good snow week.

Quote:

Also your point about variety is unfounded - plenty of off-piste options in Sass, some friends of mine have been enjoying some of that already.

Think of it the other way - I'm travelling with my partner that's not all that into skiing, which is fair, but that makes Saas Fee a bit of a difficult choice (which I think I'll just bite through)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
blind_raven wrote:
[
Quote:

Is Verbier announced for a bigger opening after next weekend or is that mostly snow-related?

Dec 5th is the official season 7/7 opening. Until now it was just weekends. Snow cover determines what they will open but looking good with the forecast. Could be quite a snowy, overcast week next week so you may want some tree cover. Saas Fee should have great snow but may not sure if it’s has decent tree runs above resort?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Saas Fee should have great snow but may not sure if it’s has decent tree runs above resort?

Hah, the luxury problem to have: too much snow at once... But yeah, Saas, as far as I know is a bit above the tree line with some of the nursery slopes lower. I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people about it on this thread though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There's some tree-lined skiing at Platjen - which is slightly separated from the main ski areas but, in bad weather, Saas Fee is not great. On more than one occasion, I have been told by the ski patrol to clear the mountain due to an impending storm. Still love the place, though, and will be back there in April, Covid-19 restictions notwithstanding.
snow report
Actually forecast doesn’t look too bad. Cold but sunny. Could be glorious in 50cm of fresh. This is Verbier but Saas Fee is similar. Bring your powder skis and enjoy!
https://www.yr.no/place/Switzerland/Valais/Verbier/long.html
ski holidays
Quote:

Could be glorious in 50cm of fresh. Bring your powder skis and enjoy!

Oh, how I am looking forward to this! Smile Some normality, albeit limited is more than welcome.
snow report
Verbier.
snow report
I might do Verbier in the second week. The snow fall is now confirmed to be quite good.
ski holidays
Today is typical of one of the problems of Saas-Fee. Snowing like mad (good), mountain closed (bad). More lifts set to open tomorrow, though (good). Very Happy
snow report
Nothing yet in Verbier and forecast scaled right back. Sass Fee looks like a better bet for 20-30cm of fresh snow. Looks very cold next week so great conditions but wrap up warm.
ski holidays
What about the news today? I’m not sure I get it - can people not from switzerland ski?
snow report
Yes skiing in CH fine if you can get here. Pistes in verbier in great nick but it’s quite busy today. Will be nice midweek. There’s a nice route from Attelas down to la Chaux, back up and down to James Blunt which would be fine for an intermediate skier - easy red / blue.
ski holidays
@BobinCH,
Hi ..... am trying to decide between Verbier , laax and davos.
Do u have any advice on the above from your experience?
I’m an intermediate boarder who usually does a lot of off piste/backcountry . Verniers always been on my list due to the backcountry but If snow isn’t too great then I’m thinking just go to laax and leave Verbier for another time?
Thoughts please ? Thanks
snow report
Ps. This would be from this Saturday 12th for a week
snow conditions
Laax is beautiful and there is a lot of it. Fly to Zurich train to Chur and post bus into resort fab!
snow conditions
I’ve a car hired already from Geneva.
Is there enough snow at resorts at the moment ? What’s it looking like..I’ll be going somewhere anyway so I’ll find out either way... just trying to lesson my anxiety
snow conditions
blind_raven wrote:
What about the news today? I’m not sure I get it - can people not from switzerland ski?

Did you manage to get there? If you have time an update would be great. Did you have any problems getting there, booking accommodation, and what's the skiing like?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy