Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Return from Rosael to Orelle

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, Im still holding out for an Easter trip to VT and planning to stay in Orelle. Is it possible to take the lift back down from Rosael to Orelle or is is ski back down only?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can take the Rosael chairlift down from the top of VT. It is always a bubble down from the bottom of the Orelle ski area to the Orelle village (unless there is good low down snow and you take an itinerary down which includes a bit of a walk mid point).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alti - dude wrote:
You can take the Rosael chairlift down from the top of VT. It is always a bubble down from the bottom of the Orelle ski area to the Orelle village (unless there is good low down snow and you take an itinerary down which includes a bit of a walk mid point).

thanks alti dude
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ski down back to orelle Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mr.Egg wrote:

of course Mr Egg but im covering my options for my wife and youngest child in case they dont fancy the ski down...dont fancy getting stuck with a taxi ride from VT back to Orelle!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Harvamnia,

I think Orelle is bellow 800-900m. Skiing back to base days would probably be pretty limited for 90% of the season?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alti - dude wrote:

Great info — many thanks. So helpful for folks who want to get back to Orelle.

I was under the impression, that most chairlifts don't allow you to take them down the mountain, partly for safety reasons, and also because they have to slow the lift right down to enable folks to hop on. But is it the case that if you ask the lift operator(s) nicely they will allow this? Very helpful if it is — and I have occasionally seen folks coming down on chair lifts.

Also, as I'm sure many are aware, from 21/22, there is a new Gondola lift from the top of the Cme Caron down to the Plan Bouchet; plus a new Gondola lift from Plan Bouchet down to Orelle.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mr.Egg, when most people refer to 'Orelle' they are generally talking about the bottom of lifts/top of gondola section.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

But is it the case that if you ask the lift operator(s) nicely they will allow this?

Not generally. There ARE some chairlifts which regularly take pedestrians downhill - the one I know (in Saisies) has a platform at the top, and the lifties stop the chair at the top (and again at the bottom) for pedestrians. And a chairlift which generally only took skiers UP was once pressed into service for limited periods to take both beginner skiers and pedestrians downhill, when a landslide had blocked the road - but generally, just asking the lifties nicely is not going to cut it. There are also some chairlifts which permanently take people in both directions - up and down, or sometimes along.....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Poogle wrote:
[...]they have to slow the lift right down to enable folks to hop on.
That was true of old chairlifts, not of modern detachable lifts. There are still old chairlifts in operation, however all telecabins are detachable (afaik).

For Orelle everybody takes the telecabin down, except when the snow cover allows it, which, let's face it, is very rare these days.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Duplicate comment. Ignore.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 8-11-20 9:56; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
patrick! wrote:
Poogle wrote:
[...]they have to slow the lift right down to enable folks to hop on.
That was true of old chairlifts, not of modern detachable lifts. There are still old chairlifts in operation, however all telecabins are detachable (afaik).

It’s an interesting point. Detachable chairlifts and their loading/unloading systems, are normally designed for people to get on at the bottom and off at the top. And as such, if you want to load people at the top, you have to slot them in to an empty chair, where the system is designed to eject people and not load them. Correspondingly, if you want to let people off at the bottom, then you have to be careful the people are not lined up to get on that chair at the same time.

Hence the requirement, to slow the lift both of the top for people to get on, and the bottom for people to get off. And all this requires careful supervision by the lift operators at both the top and the bottom.

I have seen it happen a few time, and the lift is always slowed down, and the lift operators are involved.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 8-11-20 14:09; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ah, good point indeed.

It reminds me of the complexity of operating lifts with a mid station where some skiers are jumping in, some hopping on - like the trans arc in Les Arcs.

What started as a nice weekend leisure sport hobby is slowly turning into a geeky interest into ski machinery, having a kid who builds Lego lifts is not helping.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One lift that used to allow people to routinely download on it was the Solaise Express in Val d'Isere. I say used to because it has been replaced by a Gondola. The lift accesses good terrain for skiers who are graduating from the nursery slopes in resort, but the route back to the resort is a tricky red, so it is important to provide a route down for these skiers.

There's a picture of the top station at https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=64238

You can see there are separate areas for loading and unloading. There was no need to slow the lift and I think there was just the one lifty monitoring both areas. Note that it was a four seater lift, but only two seats can be used for the descent (look at the blue sign in the middle of the picture, and also count the loading gates). Because they don't expect to have large numbers of people taking it down, they don't design the lift to support the weight of four people in each chair for the descent.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@thelem, add in that getting off is not as easy as getting on. Usually jog away carrying skis
snow report
thelem wrote:
One lift that used to allow people to routinely download on it was the Solaise Express in Val d'Isere. I say used to because it has been replaced by a Gondola. The lift accesses good terrain for skiers who are graduating from the nursery slopes in resort, but the route back to the resort is a tricky red, so it is important to provide a route down for these skiers.

There's a picture of the top station at https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=64238

You can see there are separate areas for loading and unloading. There was no need to slow the lift and I think there was just the one lifty monitoring both areas. Note that it was a four seater lift, but only two seats can be used for the descent (look at the blue sign in the middle of the picture, and also count the loading gates). Because they don't expect to have large numbers of people taking it down, they don't design the lift to support the weight of four people in each chair for the descent.

Good to see I'm not the only one to hang-out in "www.remontees-mecaniques.net"! Laughing That's the great thing about the internet — it makes one look normal. Embarassed
ski holidays
The dismount from the Solaise Express could be tricky when there was little or no snow, only straw and the fact that the lift did no slow. It only slowed when it had travelled around the lift station to begin uploading! Very Happy
snow report
Harvamnia wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

of course Mr Egg but im covering my options for my wife and youngest child in case they dont fancy the ski down...dont fancy getting stuck with a taxi ride from VT back to Orelle!!

Lory, from Portette / Thorens, is probably an easier blue piste than Gentianes from Grand Fond as a return to Orelle.
snow report
ecureuil wrote:
Harvamnia wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

Lory, from Portette / Thorens, is probably an easier blue piste than Gentianes from Grand Fond as a return to Orelle.

thanks ecureuil Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy