Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Now most of the U.K. is in lockdown with what I can only assume is a aim to open up for Christmas in a better place. Do we think the opening up will include travel allowance with out quarantine on return or is that a pipe dream?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I really hope it will be possible to get into the UK at Christmas without quarantine - my Grandmother is in a care home and had (another) heart attack last week, and I worry that otherwise it will be too late to see her. As I recently had corona it shouldn't be an issue for me to get a negative test, but the current two weeks of quarantine on the way in is not really possible for me.

I'm not holding my breath though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is what I am desperately hoping this will mean we can as well. I need to make the call by 4th Dec as we should fly on 19th Dec and the flights are flexible up to 14 days before, as well as the refund on accommodation
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Though notice they are already prepping to extend beyond 2nd Dec and it isn’t even start yet Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't know - but there is a question to be begged also about Hanukkah, Diwali, (is there an Eid due?), etc etc. And birthdays, weddings, funerals, others.... Many, many valid reasons for people to be desperate to travel in and out of the UK (never mind within it and its constituent countries) between now and the official CE New Year (and after).
I predict some loosening of family or general travel and gathering around late December - other countries also permitting - but probably restrictions again after early Jan if the figures aren't back down and staying down (which the Xmas and NY inevitable celebrations & movements won't help with at all).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Prime Minister is extremely positive about our being able to have a great family Christmas. This almost certainly means the reverse will be true, on past form. And I reckon it's 50:50 that he'll be replaced within the next 6 months.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
LaForet wrote:
The Prime Minister is extremely positive about our being able to have a great family Christmas. This almost certainly means the reverse will be true, on past form. And I reckon it's 50:50 that he'll be replaced within the next 6 months.

Sadly that is rather true - pretty much everything he has said he the u-turn o. Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"... It'll be lonely this Christmas, lonely and cold ...." Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I keep getting flashes of Alan Rickman saying “...and cancel Christmas!”
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NickyJ wrote:
Laughing That was such a brilliantly over the top performance.

http://youtube.com/v/ISLHg4uDExE
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
NickyJ wrote:
Laughing That was such a brilliantly over the top performance.

http://youtube.com/v/ISLHg4uDExE

He was brilliant in that film. If it wasn’t for him it wouldn’t have been watchable.

Edit to add: ah yes “call off Christmas”

Thanks for the snippet
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We cancelled our eurotunnel and Christmas in the UK plans back in September. I can’t do a last minute green light.

Our apartment is rented out Xmas and new year to lovely previous guests but I am fully expecting them to cancel, in which case we will go ourselves for New Year, if we can....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Nadenoodlee, i cancelled our Christmas and NY plans in our apartment about then too. I should have grabbed the 2 weeks booking from previous guests when I had the opportunity, but sadly I still thought there was hope. I've not moved the Eurotunnel yet, but it isn't urgent.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have cancelled our New Year trip and started planning in 2022, not even sure we will get away next summer
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Europe in chaos.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/01/governments-lose-control-virus-revolt-civil-unrest-continent
ski holidays
UK (well half of it) is about 5 days behind (again)

We're cancelling Christmas for a 3 way birthday party in May/June instead.
snow conditions
According to Prof Chris Whitty last night, we have locked down earlier than France in terms of infection rates (seven day rate per 100k is 238 in UK, compared with 434 in France). Who knows when it will end in most countries. Each is doing its own thing. Let's hope we can travel to skiing destinations before the end of the season.

https://twitter.com/PPaulCharles/status/1322510512077344768/photo/1
ski holidays
I wouldn't count on anything like a normal Christmas. It would be folly to lift restrictions early to mid Dec, as everyone will party until the new year, and we will be back to square 1 by mid Jan.

Plus, it would leave us open to accusations of racism from other religious groups.

My best bet would be to allow limited family gatherings for Christmas, but hospitality still closed until early Jan, hoping most European countries in a situation by then where they can stay open till end of season.

If they can't get their numbers down, what we achieve will be largely irrelevant as far as skiing is concerned
ski holidays
LaForet wrote:

Literally laughed out loud when I read that. So true. We’ll have a nice Christmas in Wengen though, regardless.
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
LaForet wrote:

Sadly that is rather true - pretty much everything he has said he the u-turn o. Sad

Maybe, but we in truly uncharted waters; pretty much every expert prediction had been wrong so far.

We're effectively at "war" with an invisible "enemy". The difference with this "war" is that the old are dying for freedom of the young.

I also don't believe any other PM in living memory could have done any better. St Macron of France - the modern saviour of Europe - is in a much worse position.
latest report
Jacinda Arden seems to have done a pretty sound job.
snow conditions
Good for her. But NZ is a remote island with a population density of just 19 per sq km. England, which has busy international airports, has a population density of 434 per sq km.(Scotland has 67, UK 275).

In continental Europe, things are getting fraught. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/02/latest-coronavirus-lockdowns-spark-protests-across-europe
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:

that's like comparing the highlands to London to be fair...
ski holidays
brianatab wrote:
I wouldn't count on anything like a normal Christmas. It would be folly to lift restrictions early to mid Dec, as everyone will party until the new year, and we will be back to square 1 by mid Jan.

Plus, it would leave us open to accusations of racism from other religious groups.

My best bet would be to allow limited family gatherings for Christmas, but hospitality still closed until early Jan, hoping most European countries in a situation by then where they can stay open till end of season.

If they can't get their numbers down, what we achieve will be largely irrelevant as far as skiing is concerned

Quite agree.

A while back, people had gleefully talk of a "new normal" where somethings are open but not all. And people profess they'd be happy to live in that "new normal". Well, that was when most of EVERYTHING was closed.

But as soon as a few things opened up, people suddenly forgot everything about that "new normal". They promptly went back to the OLD NORMAL, or at least making plans assuming everything will be open and movements will be free.

If only people are realistic. Christmas would hopefully be a quiet family affair, of small gatherings of people that are truly important. And be thankful everyone is still alive and healthy to attend it. That would leave us in a decent position into the winter.

But I'm not optimistic about it.
ski holidays
I do love people to explain geography and economics to me, as if I have lived in a cave...
someone asked who could have done a better job, I gave an answer. If you have the skills and leadership to get a job done, you can usually adapt to most climates.

Enjoy your Christmas. I’ll be in Andermatt.
latest report
mitcva wrote:
Good for her. But NZ is a remote island with a population density of just 19 per sq km. England, which has busy international airports, has a population density of 434 per sq km.(Scotland has 67, UK 275).

In continental Europe, things are getting fraught. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/02/latest-coronavirus-lockdowns-spark-protests-across-europe

I think the UK didn't use the whole Island thing to their advantage. I mean they could have shut the tunnel, shut the ports and shut the ports to tourists and business travellers and only allowed freight into the country......it woudl have been tough but it would be under control
latest report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
I do love people to explain geography and economics to me, as if I have lived in a cave...
someone asked who could have done a better job, I gave an answer. If you have the skills and leadership to get a job done, you can usually adapt to most climates.

But it's not an equal comparison so arguably it's irrelevant.
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/FTJnUZoLRBU
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bennyboy1, brilliant, absolutely brilliant! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Dravot wrote:
NickyJ wrote:
LaForet wrote:

Maybe, but we in truly uncharted waters; pretty much every expert prediction had been wrong so far.

We're effectively at "war" with an invisible "enemy". The difference with this "war" is that the old are dying for freedom of the young.

I also don't believe any other PM in living memory could have done any better. St Macron of France - the modern saviour of Europe - is in a much worse position.

Yes. We've been lucky to have Johnson as no one could have done any better. He's done a cracking job.
latest report
Dravot wrote:
Nadenoodlee wrote:

But it's not an equal comparison so arguably it's irrelevant.

It's comparing 2 islands. One is crippled by the pandemic and the other one isn't as it took early, decisive action.
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:

Don’t agree. NZ are totally banking on a vaccine. Will be interesting to see what they do in a few years time if one isn’t forthcoming. I’m supporting the Swedish approach #Tegnell
snow conditions
Back on track, amazingly Sweden is still in the U.K. travel corridor list. I took the opportunity to go back and visit family in September when it was first placed on the list thinking it’s likely to come off again. Not planning to go back at Christmas unless it’s a last minute thing. With the full understanding flights are likely to get moved/cancelled and booking a different flight to get back is a high likelihood.
ski holidays
The physical geography is less relevant than the human terrain, population density and economic interdependencies.
Tristan da Cunha, a uk overseas territory, has had zero cases. It locked down quickly too. But also is irrelevant in comparison to a country with 67m ppl and a GDP of $3tr.
latest report
Dravot wrote:
The physical geography is less relevant than the human terrain, population density and economic interdependencies.
Tristan da Cunha, a uk overseas territory, has had zero cases. It locked down quickly too. But also is irrelevant in comparison to a country with 67m ppl and a GDP of $3tr.

To get through to the other side of this the validity of Germ Theory needs to be questioned, after all it is still just a theory and people have just grown up believing in it with little or no questioning.

The human terrain is the critical element, you can either be hospitable terrain for disease to develop or inhospitable terrain, no amount of masks, distancing or lockdowns will improve human health. However the stress caused by these measures will definitely be detrimental to health.
ski holidays
Peter Ross wrote:

The human terrain is the critical element, you can either be hospitable terrain for disease to develop or inhospitable terrain, no amount of masks, distancing or lockdowns will improve human health.

Well, well, well... mask, social distancing and lockdown can change a disease hospitable terrain to an inhospitable terrain!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy