Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel insurance including corona

Poster: A snowHead
I'm currently looking to book a week in France / Austria in January but the fact that they're not in the covid corridor means I'm not going to be booking anything without a safety net. Both myself and the gf can't spend 2 weeks isolating upon return to England due to work. On the phone to Inghams, the sales rep there mentioned that some insurance companies are now offering cover including if you have to cancel a trip due to this reason; does anybody know of insurance companies who are offering this cover (the rep didn't know any specific firms, was more a thing she'd heard on the grapevine)?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would be surprised if any company offers insurance for cancellation of a trip to a place outside the corridor when you book it and still so come travel date. There are some offering limited and specific elements of cover regarding CV but best to read them all and see if any, or none, suit your needs. Several other threads running on this but Nationwide tied to a current account insurance, Staysure, Insurefor and Avanti are names that seem to have been discussed . In the other threads you will also see a link to a Which article discussing cover that you may find helpful too
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Julius It may be worth reading the threads on the 2020-21 Season for Brits etc. (I know, they're getting lengthier ...), which include discussions of how to handle the uncertainty about holiday viability. There's a lot of 'covid wash' from insurers at the moment and the devil is in the detail, and as mentioned, the liability for insurers is too great for them to offer any sort of carte blanche for people booking a holiday to a destination that's currently imposing quarantine on arrivals, returning to the UK which is also currently imposing the same. Unless the TO is offering 'no-cancellation-charge' terms (are any?) I wouldn't go that route.

Just my opinion, but (to repeat a posting of mine) I'd say the safest option is self-drive and self-catering apartment. Book the Eurotunnel now and wait 'till closer to the time to book accommodation. If something happens, you can usually reschedule the Eurotunnel up to 12 months (or similar) ahead. Worst case you lose the price of the cross-Channel fare, rather than the whole package. A side benefit is that this would also let you choose a resort when snow conditions are clearer.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Staysure is offering a £5 premium that covers travelling to countries currently against FCO advice due to COVID. As always check the small print though
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ruddster wrote:
Staysure is offering a £5 premium that covers travelling to countries currently against FCO advice due to COVID. As always check the small print though

AIUI It does not cover Covid related claims though if travelling against FCO advice.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
'You can be covered by your policy limits apart from COVID-19 related claims, or the reason for FCO advice against all but essential travel while you’re away, when travelling to Europe.'
Staysure website re FCO Advisory Extension to Standard Travel Cover

This is what I meant by 'Covid Wash' - what does this actually mean? How is this cover for Covid if it is 'apart from COVID-19 related claims'?

'This add-on allows you to have a valid travel insurance policy to Europe, if the FCO have advised against all but essential travel to your destination.'

So is this meaning that yes, I'll be covered as usual for a trip to Europe for everything not specifically related to Covid-19? Things like a car accident, hospitalisation because of an illness, theft of valuables, etc. but not if these are anything to do with Covid? So this would exclude 2 weeks in ICU with Covid but cover 2 weeks in ICU with any other illness? Or are they (reasonably) excluding a claim after I voluntarily cancel because my destination suddenly imposes 2 weeks quarantine on UK arrivals?

You have to get a quote before getting the full Ts&Cs, which to me is disingenuous - they know full well the various situations I'm trying to cover. The various combinations of circumstances are fairly limited. This is just them being evasive and trying to get my details before elaborating the exclusions.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Someone v close to me recently travelled to Spain despite this being against the FCO advice and managed to get insurance through ASDA and there were several options explicitly stating that certain covid related scenarios were covered. But you need to take your time to read the smallprint.
I dont think many will cover every scenario so you need to cosider what you want covered and what you're prepared to risk. Im currently thinking id take the gamble of booking as long as i could get medical cover. If i lost the money for my accom id be miffed but it's a risk id be prepared to take if it was the difference between skiing or not. Of course, the covid situation-statistics and whether resorts are actually open will supersede everything else in making my decision.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The whole 'FCO Advice Against All But Essential Travel' is a mechanism that's not fit for purpose in the current circumstances. It worked well enough originally, when it indicated areas like new war zones (think Nagorno-Karabakh recently), sudden natural disasters, serious epidemics (like Ebola outbreaks) and so on. Places where no one in their right mind would take a holiday and the FO was trying to put people off visiting even to see relatives, at least until things had subsided.

But it's useless in the Coronavirus epidemic. I live in a District with 12/100K infections compared to, say, someone in Liverpool with 493/100K. Most European countries are like the UK in having areas of low and high infection. Yet we just average the numbers for the whole country. At least Switzerland classifies French arrivals by Départment figures.

So what's the solution? Will travellers have to get a Covid Negative Test Certificate if arriving from a designated country? Will your Covid status be designated by the figures for the postcode on your passport? Will you be getting a Certificate of Fitness to Travel if you download a more intrusive tracking app for 2 weeks ahead of arrival? Because we need something better than the current crude approach if countries (UK included) want to encourage tourists back.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 8-10-20 9:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I thought I would share the information I just got from a phone call to Nationwide Travel Insurance. Earlier this year we obtained their "FlexPlus" travel insurance on the advice of recommendations here on the Snowheads forum.

The nice gentleman on the phone was very clear - in fact when I started my question he anticipated the rest and gave what sounded like a scripted answer. That is that the FlexPlus insurance DOES continue to cover medical costs in the normal way, INCLUDING Covid. What it would no longer cover is any effect on travel or booking costs (cancellation, early termination, other travel disruption).

The answer was actually better than I had hoped for, I was simply expecting that medical costs other than Covid (for example, breaking a leg) might be covered.

Obviously there are still issues around travelling, but we can plan round them. We would like to visit our own apartment in France before Christmas (so we have EHIC cover anyway) and it now seems feasible if we book crossings as late as possible and make advance plans for quarantine on return. It ought also to allow planning for at least one ski trip, though we would normally fly and it isn't obvious what constraints there might be in going via Geneva.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
j b wrote:
I thought I would share the information I just got from a phone call to Nationwide Travel Insurance. Earlier this year we obtained their "FlexPlus" travel insurance on the advice of recommendations here on the Snowheads forum.

The nice gentleman on the phone was very clear - in fact when I started my question he anticipated the rest and gave what sounded like a scripted answer. That is that the FlexPlus insurance DOES continue to cover medical costs in the normal way, INCLUDING Covid. What it would no longer cover is any effect on travel or booking costs (cancellation, early termination, other travel disruption).

The answer was actually better than I had hoped for, I was simply expecting that medical costs other than Covid (for example, breaking a leg) might be covered.

Obviously there are still issues around travelling, but we can plan round them. We would like to visit our own apartment in France before Christmas (so we have EHIC cover anyway) and it now seems feasible if we book crossings as late as possible and make advance plans for quarantine on return. It ought also to allow planning for at least one ski trip, though we would normally fly and it isn't obvious what constraints there might be in going via Geneva.

I have the same insurance and after having put a claim in for my (then ) partner found them excellent but having looked through the terms and conditions it does seem to say that if you are somewhere that the FCO has said dont travel to it stops being in force..did they say anyting about that Puzzled
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, that was exactly my question, and the chap said in view of the current situation they were providing continued cover.

In fact my question was going to go on to a technicality, except that he answered me first, since there are two FCO categories of advice against "all travel" and "all but essential travel". Most places are currently in the second category, and only war zones (e.g. Syria) are in the first. The policy document only referred to "all travel" and I was going to ask whether they intended a distinction.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was advised the same when I spoke to Nationwide about travelling to France back in August. As long as it wasn't classed as against 'all travel' the policy would remain valid. They had no requirements for me to justify that the trip was 'essential'.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
j b wrote:
Yes, that was exactly my question, and the chap said in view of the current situation they were providing continued cover.

In fact my question was going to go on to a technicality, except that he answered me first, since there are two FCO categories of advice against "all travel" and "all but essential travel". Most places are currently in the second category, and only war zones (e.g. Syria) are in the first. The policy document only referred to "all travel" and I was going to ask whether they intended a distinction.

Thats great ...so long as they let us in without quarantine ..I go... snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, wouldn't work if they imposed quarantine. Can plan for it on return.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just spoken to UK Insurance and the nice young man on the phone told me that they are about to send out a letter to all those insured with them that from Jan 1 2021 they will NOT be covering anything if the FCO advise no travel ...but if the trip is booked BEFORE Jan 1 you will still be covered ...sad news for me as I dont book in advance....I still live in hope Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
@DaveD Was he more specific? Are they not covering if the FCO advise against "all travel" or "all but essential travel"?
snow conditions
cad99uk wrote:
@DaveD Was he more specific? Are they not covering if the FCO advise against "all travel" or "all but essential travel"?

He seemed to be saying ANY travel..including essential...but he did say that a letter was going out to all policyholders..so we will wait and see Confused
ski holidays
@DaveD, Thanks. It would be useful if you could give us an update when you receive the letter.
latest report
This i not an endorsement as suitable for anyone else but i have been looking at Jet2 insurance for a season long single Europe trip. It seems to have an element of covid and non fcdo travel cover (when the advice is only because of covid), but on a brief glance the only line I hovered over was the 'off piste skiing covered within local patrol guidelines' and how to interpret this. Any bored insurance experts please feel free to offer their own thoughts on the merits of the policy compared to some of the other offerings available. Would be appreciated
ski holidays
Hopefully, I could well have some definitive detail on insurance within the next two weeks, though no doubt there will be some grey areas as it's an ever-changing scenario and for the first time, I'm now getting (slightly) worried if resorts will open the way numbers are increasing in France currently and they do not drop significantly by end November.

The detail will be for those taking their normal holiday (travel health insurance / off piste etc) as well as those who are looking at long stays, though not every parameter such as age, previous health condition can be taken into account.

Just from the responses back from some Geezonaire friends, it seems everyone wants a custom-built policy rolling eyes
ski holidays
Crystal (owned by TUI, who offer the same for their summer holidays) include Covid cover free of charge.

TUI just purchased a huge group policy, with everyone who books a holiday being considered to be part of the group, but they won't take you to anywhere that's on the FCDO naughty list, or anywhere that's got us on their naughty list - so, technically, none of the holidays currently on offer on Crystal pass muster, and would result in cancellation and refund.

I've got a booking for early January in Sauze D'Oulx, I'm not holding out much hope...
latest report
Weathercam wrote:

Just from the responses back from some Geezonaire friends, it seems everyone wants a custom-built policy rolling eyes

Not everyone needs a custom built policy but there are certain fundamentals most people will need plus some options

I'd suggest the biggest thing everyone needs is to ensure that they are covered for medical and repatriation regardless of the state of FCO advice/COVID status of a destination at the time. This means COMPLETE CLARITY on the "against FCO advice exclusion".

Lots of people will need the usual personal effects cover and probably "return home if travel arrangements frustrated" cover

Cancellation cover is more problematic - I suspect along with the "right to cancel if I can't afford to do quarantine on return".

Existing medical conditions as usual needs to be available.

Add all that up and it looks like everyone has custom requirements (+ off piste + number of days + duration of stay/trip)

But that's reality - doesn't stop underwriters and brokers/branders being clear in the first fundamental.
latest report
I received an email from Nationwide this afternoon about the travel insurance which should be the same for other bank insurance as well as it is run by UK insurance PLC

It seems to say that from Jan1 any cancelation or ilness that is covid related is not covered but otherwise you are Very Happy Puzzled

https://www.nationwide-onlinedocs.co.uk/4f2c0ef5-7cd5-41a6-8fdc-50512b0b9fa4/assets/download?sp=s3G4K9KtA1HvvDMIW0qOjaoFl50YIQgNind9tKAX63pU-Wk811PqRfOlEzUmoSnqlvWt_KhF5pwzWKeqYSiTnlLImpCFyCTl1gPygxpU3s8BTV9U5YkrDsbNZlv4i4_W-gaQs6Ec9jQ6vbGmMvM59SELpMYtDMxPi2n2Ui9gzl2mb4rz0OG9Y7mhnOd9NcOMItt9rP3w-lhiYQRcd9NbGDuD1izT10cYIYOgDJe-X_gdhniDikkrSP49zmMUQGKu
ski holidays
@DaveD, Thanks for the update. Very useful.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy