Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No Après-Ski/ Nightlife or Gastronomy 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
Austria ..

This is a very real possibility that Ski Season 2020/21 will be just Sking/Snowboarding..ONLY 09:00 to 16:00

Lunch break will be at accommodations or Bakpak

Even talk about restoration of 1 hour Lift Break at Midday (which they used to do)

No Après-ski
No Mountain Huts/Restaurants
No Nightlife (clubs Bars open)
No Swimming/Saunas

Eating will be confined to Hotels & Guest Houses

Dinner Delivery Service to Accommodations will be the available

Supermarkets will stay open for DIY.

Being discussed behind the scenes (Hight Level) in Austria ....dont be surprised

2020/21 A Weeks Winter Holiday ------Sleep-Ski-Eat-Sleep-Ski-Eat-Sleep-Ski-Eat-Sleep-Ski-Eat-Sleep-Ski-Eat-Sleep-Ski-Eat-Sleep-Ski-Eat-Sleep
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds great, a ski holiday with skiing !

If they fully open to non Austrian skiers it will be something.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm more interested in how they'd manage the lifts, especially gondolas and cable cars. Lunch out, drinking out, swimming/sauna can all be done in the UK.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Best come to Switzerland then, our bars and restaurants open next week.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@PeakyB, It's not really much different to a bus, so potentially cut capacity and tell everyone to wear masks (pull your buff up).

I'm sceptical about the rest of the OP... restaurants open on 15th May, swimming pools on 29th May, supermarkets never closed. The only thing that there is no current provision for is bars. All shops are open now and outdoor groups up to 10 people are allowed, so that covers ski hire and lessons.

Lifts will open for summer season in mid June, and possible earlier if they can negotiate it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
off topic I know, but I wonder if from now on, gondolas will be a thing of the past, and any that need to be replaced will be with high speed/high capacity chairs.

I assume there will be cases where gondolas will still be required, but I much prefer chairs anyway as it is less faffing around, was disappointed when ramses 1 and 2 chair was removed from meribel-mottaret as you could always use these chairs to avoid pas-de-lac gondola to get up to saluire
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stanton, Sounds good to me. Except in France it will be 9:00 to 17:00 skiing.

@terrygasson, Aparently gondolas are prefered when getting little children or absolute beginners up the mountain. It is why in some resorts they have alernate cabin/chair on the same cable.

A bigger problem will be international travel.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Being discussed behind the scenes (Hight Level) in Austria ....dont be surprised

Go on @stanton, what is your source - is it a mole?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnE wrote:

A bigger problem will be international travel.

Even more immediate will be internal travel in some countries.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@davidof, How many ski resorts are within 100km of your home? I suspect you can go skining and hill walking pretty soon. Is the Barre d Ecrins in range? I am envious
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

off topic I know, but I wonder if from now on, gondolas will be a thing of the past, and any that need to be replaced will be with high speed/high capacity chairs.

I assume there will be cases where gondolas will still be required, but I much prefer chairs anyway as it is less faffing around, was disappointed when ramses 1 and 2 chair was removed from meribel-mottaret as you could always use these chairs to avoid pas-de-lac gondola to get up to saluire

A big reason why lots of places have been installing Gondolas, especially from village upwards, is that they are much more user friendly for pedestrians/tourists. So places trying to diversify and increase summer trade in times of climate change, and potentially less snow are installing gondolas to help ensure their future.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@johnE, that makes sense.

first time I ever went on a chair, during esf lessons I was 25 and in val thorens, each beginner adult was allocated two toddlers in an esf group each on the chair with us.

I seem to remember holding on to them for dear life as we went up the mountain so they did not fall out the chair, I was absolutely crapping myself, but they just seemed to be humming away to themselves without a care in the world.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@stanton never disappoints, where’s @whitegold to add his bit?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnE, not much snow left this year, I'll do other stuff and wait for next winter/autumn now.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If that is going the situation next season, I'd bite your hand off for it now.

I can see all kinds of problems for skiing if social distancing is still required... queues for chairlifts that bunch up more and more as you get closer to the gate, chairlifts themselves are 2-10 people sitting more or less on top of each other, 2 person T bars likewise, as well as gondolas and cable cars.
snow conditions
France bringing in up to 30 days quarantine for any arrivals from abroad.
latest report
Ski 9-4, lunch from your pocket, on piste or in chair/gondola, quick evening bite and bottles of beer in room from supermarket..? Sounds utterly normal and perfectly fine to me.
Prefer not to have a midday lift break though: hate stopping and re-starting, and usually it's the quietest time when you're fed up if all those crowds.
But otherwise..? Just gotta get to and stay there, and return from, safely.
snow conditions
Our 2 little supermarkets wouldn't cope. The queue at the checkout can be an hour on a Saturday afternoon as it is. They are heaving. Meanwhile the huts, bars and restaurants go bust.
snow report
There seems to be an understanding that fresh air is much lower risk. Gondolas and cable cars yuk. Inside eating yuk. So go skiing in march, to a resort with chairlifts and buttons eat out at lunchtime and hide in your Airbnb at night. Or just have a season off skiing if it all really terrifies you. Why cannot you cook your own gastronomy? Apres ski indoors, not for me after hearing about ischgl but as a 60 something with blood pressure i am in a slightly higher risk group. For a fit youngster why should you worry?
snow report
Grizzler wrote:
Ski 9-4, lunch from your pocket, on piste or in chair/gondola, quick evening bite and bottles of beer in room from supermarket..? Sounds utterly normal and perfectly fine to me.
Prefer not to have a midday lift break though: hate stopping and re-starting, and usually it's the quietest time when you're fed up if all those crowds.
But otherwise..? Just gotta get to and stay there, and return from, safely.

Maybe, for some smaller ski stations. Our village would quickly go out of business with this model. Apres ski and eating out are key to our village's survival. I don't think the industry can survive without apres ski.
snow conditions
Quote:

I don't think the industry can survive without apres ski.

@telford_mike, that.

However, it's not as though there's been any real investment in infrastructure and the locals can just go back to sheep farming can't they?

Oh, wait, who shagged what?
snow report
davidof wrote:

Where did you get that one from ?

I've only seen

Once approved by lawmakers, the emergency period will last until July 24th, Health Minister Olivier Véran told a news conference.

As part of the planned measures, Veran said people entering France may have to remain confined for two weeks.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 3-05-20 8:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
[/quote]

Go on @stanton, what is your source - is it a mole?[/quote]

No. It was a marmot. Toofy Grin
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
davidof wrote:

Where did you get that one from ?

I've only seen

Once approved by lawmakers, the emergency period will last until July 24th, Health Minister Olivier Véran told a news conference.

As part of the planned measures, Veran said people entering France may have to remain confined for two weeks.

Well for a start it is in your post in another thread
snow report
@davidof, where, I never posted anything like that Shocked

It was only after reading your post above (posted yesterday) did I think that maybe more detailed investigation was required, hence my post of today in the French Alps thread, only after I found the actual, though still somewhat grey detail.
ski holidays
@Weathercam,

Just to quote you, maybe you've forgotten?

Weathercam wrote:

Anyone arriving from abroad and infected with the virus would be obliged by law to be quarantined.
The total duration of isolation, whatever the situation, could never exceed 30 days
ski holidays
@davidof, I know I'm being pedantic, but like I said I posted that today!!!!

Whereas you posted initially about the 30days yesterday and inferred it was almost "a fait accompli" in that it was 30days for all situations, which is not the case ?
latest report
@Scarlet,
Quote:

Lifts will open for summer season in mid June, and possible earlier if they can negotiate it.

Thanks, hadn't realised that. Wait and see how that works.

Quote:

so potentially cut capacity and tell everyone to wear masks (pull your buff up).

Yes, snowHeads buffs even more sought after Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"Our village would quickly go out of business with this model. Apres ski and eating out are key to our village's survival. I don't think the industry can survive without apres ski."
( sorry, my quote button has disappeared...)

Yes, to be fair, this did occur to me from another perspective. However, many smaller resorts must and do survive without a massive non-on-snow infrastructure and economy (I think Scotland and several smaller Lap/Scandi resorts which I know, plus several where I've stayed in Italy and Austria: b&b, sc or hotel accommodation, a small supermarket, ski school, ski bus and ski hire, that's all). Makes me wonder about quite a few aspects of the wider ski holiday 'industry' and the economy which it supports; not enough of an expert to comment as I strenuously avoid most large, loud, crowded, restaurant-filled, apres-type resorts anyway. I really do go only for the uplifts and snow.
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
@davidof, I know I'm being pedantic, but like I said I posted that today!!!!

Whereas you posted initially about the 30days yesterday and inferred it was almost "a fait accompli" in that it was 30days for all situations, which is not the case ?

"Up to" meaning from zero to max 30.
ski holidays
Quote:

So looks like popping over for a cheeky 10 day summer trip is not going to work then...
snow report
@davidof, I bet you read the Daily Mail Laughing
snow report
And as night follows day Macron has changed tack and announced NO quarantine for the UK but local movement rules will apply.
snow report
Great work @stanton
snow conditions
Nitelife in ski resorts is not coming back any time soon.

One cough on the dancefloor and you're toast.
latest report
@stanton, Chapeau Laughing - A very accomplished troll. So close to the belief/disbelief boundary..... Maestro.
snow report
Quote:

Being discussed behind the scenes (High Level) in Austria

Well there's no snow lower down so no point doing it there
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Nitelife in ski resorts is not coming back any time soon.

One cough on the dancefloor and you're toast.

Our pubs, bars and restaurants reopen on Monday 11th May. It'll be interesting to see how the distancing rules work.
ski holidays
The difference with Bars/Restaurants opening in your home countries is that they will not be filled with visitors from all over the world.

Crowded Bars, Apres Ski,Mountain Restaurants/Cafes , Resort Nightlife full of Internationals will NOT be the same or even exist next season.unless there is a miracle vaccine discovered before November 2020.

Keep an eye on how Spain (Ibiza etc) Greece Turkey handle the situation with Tourism this summer (if there is one) that will be the benchmark...

Would you even take a Foreign vacation (Summer/Winter) if you are forced into 2 weeks in Quarantine on your return home?

In recent days A Law was highlighted by European Liberty Rights Groups which was quietly changed in the UK on April 27th 2020.

Public Control of Disease Act 1984.. specifically Covid 19 (detaining people against your will, personal possessions ceased and destroyed, interrogated, forced medical examinations) applicable now. Look it up....its scarry Shocked

Summer

Austria is now opening up gradually but at the moment this is for their internal market...

July Austria (Mountain Regions) are opening for the Season July 4th but it is still not clear if Germans will be allowed.This is a political decision from Vienna. At this stage ONLY Germans are being considered (Austria's most important market)

However, There are still heavy restrictions on travel within Germany and the border are still closed (except NL & B)

https://www.abendblatt.de/vermischtes/article229024825/Urlaub-2020-in-Deutschland-Wann-kann-ich-ans-Meer-oder-die-Berge.html
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
The difference with Bars/Restaurants opening in your home countries is that they will not be filled with visitors from all over the world.

Of course they will be Nige - someone has to serve the punters! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy