Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner Question: Skiing or Snowboarding?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Next weekend, I will be hitting the slopes for the first time. I'm trying to decide on skiing or snowboarding, and can't really seem to come up with consistent answers on which is easiest to begin. Don't know if snow conditions make a difference, but this is where I am headed. I have decent balance, and I am a bigger dude (6'1"+270lb).

Second question is, what's the best thing, short of real ski gear, to wear?

Thanks,

snOhio
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snOhio, welcome to snowheads, but are you trying to start an online riot?

As for what to wear. Its need to waterproof and breathable. You can spend between 100 and 1000 euros for a basic jacket pants. If you prefer the fomer have a look at TkMaxx, Lidl and M&S. The latter go to snow and rock.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not trying to start a riot, I know each side has its fervent adherents. Believe me, I've encountered them when asking this question in person. I just want to know which one will make me look less foolish on Saturday.

For the clothes, I was thinking maybe waterproof nylon pants with some sweats under, and a warm nylon coat with a hoodie underneath. I don't want to drop a bunch of money on stuff I may only wear once.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You have two feet and two legs, ergo get two planks to attach to your two boots.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Hi all,

Next weekend, I will be hitting the slopes for the first time. I'm trying to decide on skiing or snowboarding, and can't really seem to come up with consistent answers on which is easiest to begin. Don't know if snow conditions make a difference, but this is where I am headed. I have decent balance, and I am a bigger dude (6'1"+270lb).

Second question is, what's the best thing, short of real ski gear, to wear?

Thanks,

snOhio

Can open. Worms everywhere!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
From the very first attempts think about standing on a tea tray with your feet strapped to it, on ice, on a slope. If you start to loose your balance your cant step to regain it.
On skis you can widen your stance, even step your skis around to make your snowplough on a slight incline (which is where you will start).

I am led to believe snowboarding is a much quicker learning curve so you will progress rapidly. However when you are stopping on a teatr, sorry snowboard and want to rest you will need to sit down as it is difficult to just stand still on a board. Skis you stop and you rest stood up and keep a dry backside.

As you may of guessed i am a skier and have sometimes been tempted by the darkside but always think i am too old to go through all that falling again.

End of the day just get on the snow and enjoy it, lifes too short to not slide on the white stuff.

Welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Speaking as someone who does both .......... skiing is a lot easier to start with.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard wrote:
Speaking as someone who does both .......... skiing is a lot easier to start with.
ditto
But boarding will challenge you more. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Having spent some years doing both, I completely agree with Lizzard and Masque.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I just want to know which one will make me look less foolish on Saturday.

They will both make you look a total dickhead, so if you're concerned about how you look, just go for a nice walk.

The most important thing is to get good quality lessons. And if you are going to snowboard you will fall over so much that unless you have decent gear you will be soaked. Beginner skiers fall over a lot less than beginner snowboarders but by the end of their first week a tough, young, beginner boarder (with a high pain threshold) could be doing red runs in decent style, whereas a skier will probably still be pottering round blue runs looking like a beginner.

I do both, by the way.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snOhio, welcome to snowHead .thanks for starting a thread that will no doubt go on for a few pages. i snowboard, only cos when we learnt it was suggested to us that it was easier to learn than skiing. also, walking around in ski boots on icy resort roads is possibly more dangerous when you're not used to the boots or the roads. snowboard boots are much easier to get around in. if you're a big bloke, you may wanna think about that too. oh, and good luck regardless of which sport you try. welcome to your newest addiction.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skiing easy to learn hard to master NehNeh the learning curve goes increadibly steep near the end.

With snowboarding there is a one week pain barrier after which you can handle most things and is easier to master if you can stick the first week.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some peeps who try boarding can not get past the first few days because it can be quite painful and then try skiing instead because it is initially easier and you take less tumbles.

Both are recommended, but beginners of both look silly Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Go to TK max and get a good set of waterprrof/breathable salopettes/trousers and jacket for circa £120. when you are sitting in the snow for the umpteenth time you will be gratefull for the waterproofing and insulation. Go to Tchibo and get a £15 set of thermals to wear under said outfit. Also wear a thin fleece. No Cotton unless you want to be cold, damp and uncomfortable so sweats and hoodies are out. Tchibo/aldi/lidle etc often also sell pretty decent helmets (recomended)

As for planks or tray, Well it all depeds if you want to be the wipee as you take out the skier below you cos youre going to fast and unable to steer or brake, or the poor in control skiier who gets used as a brake by the snowboarder.

You also need waterproof breathable gloves, ski socks, bobble hat or helmet and gogles. All the above places sell them cheaply

Above all, what ever you decide, take lessons
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snOhio, IME it's just as Spuddfluff says. Skiing is easier to start with but is difficult to get any good at. Snowboarding is painful and difficult to learn but it's only the first couple of days and then you'll be away.
ski holidays
I suspect snOhio might be US based so not sure what the recommendations for UK retailers will be worth
snow report
 brian
brian
The good thing about boarding (good ? boarding? shome mishtake, etc) is that most bad things you do get punished immediately, so you tend to do the right things. Otoh a beginner skier can do nearly everything wrong and still get down upright, after a fashion.

In the old days of skinny skis I was almost tempted to switch full time to boarding because it made less than perfect off piste much more fun. Modern skis have nullified that advantage, so now it's skis all the way for me and I haven't been on a board for a good few years. You just don't get that full on, facing the fall line rush on a board, imo, and the advantages of skis are all still there: don't get stuck on flats, easy to ride surface lifts, dismount chairs without (much) carnage etc. etc.

The only advantage left for boarders is comfy boots. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
brian wrote:
The only advantage left for boarders is comfy boots. Toofy Grin

and only really needing one board to go from piste to powder wink
ski holidays
In 1 day of snowboarding you will hurt yourself more often, and more painfully, than in 10 weeks of skiing.

Skiing is more practical (Drag lifts: no problem. Flat bits, or even uphill bits: no problem. Boilerplate ice: no problem. Standing still: no problem), more creative (there is physically more you can do with your body with 4 limbs rather than 3), safer, and ultimately - therefore - more fun.
snow report
snOhio,

Where you from?
snow report
dsoutar wrote:
I suspect snOhio might be US based so not sure what the recommendations for UK retailers will be worth

Correct. I'm in Columbus, Ohio, USA.
snow conditions
I've never boarded, dont fancy it. It looks cool but it looks a real pain having to unclip your boot to get on a lift each time and I like poles. In resort you'll see loads of boarders getting pulled along flats by their skiing buddies' poles. This is just my very limited view, of course. wink
snow conditions
paulio wrote:
In 1 day of snowboarding you will hurt yourself more often, and more painfully, than in 10 weeks of skiing.

Skiing is more practical (Drag lifts: no problem. Flat bits, or even uphill bits: no problem. Boilerplate ice: no problem. Standing still: no problem), more creative (there is physically more you can do with your body with 4 limbs rather than 3), safer, and ultimately - therefore - more fun.

I ski, and have never snowboarded, but I would take issue with some of those points.

I would not describe flat or uphill bits as "no problem" even on skis, although they are slightly less of a problem than they are with boards. You still have to skate or pole or tak them off.

And if you think boilerplate ice is "no problem", then I suspect you have never actually come across any Smile

And I have no idea why you think skiing is "safer" - the most common injuries are different between skiing and boarding, but I have seen nothing to suggest that boarding is inherently more likley to result in a serious injury than skiing.

As for which is more fun, that is down to personal preference.

Which is why I haven't said anything to the OP. It is almost impossible to know which s/he would prefer.
latest report
I find it helps to read alex_heney's posts in the voice of Kryten from Red Dwarf.
snow report
snOhio, If there's lots of soft snow for the landings - board. If tis hard packed snow or ice - ski. You'll love whichever one you decide on!
ski holidays
paulio wrote:
I find it helps to read alex_heney's posts in the voice of Kryten from Red Dwarf.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

P.S. In case you didn't know:

they're coming back!
ski holidays
snOhio, if you can put up with broken wrists in your line of work then board, if broken legs then ski !!................is that a trifle negative ?

seriously though, have a great time whichever
snow report
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm going to try skiing. Tonight I went out and bought the cheapest waterproof stuff I could find. This should be fun.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
like many have said - skiing is easier to learn, harder to "master" (whatever that means....most recreational people will never "master" either sport). I would say if you are new to snow sports and don't live in a place where you can do them often....go with skiing. I grew up in FL and always tried snowboarding on our family trips. I NEVER got the hang of it because i only had 2-3 days to learn and then wouldnt do it for 4-5 years. on the other hand, I learned to comfortably ski green runs in about 4 hours, skied blues on day 2, and found its like riding a bike. You never really forget. so its much more condusive for people just starting out or only doing it on a vacation here and there.
snow conditions
Snowboarding has to be the obvious choice, because it is roughly 200% cooler than skiing. For what it's worth, I spent one day on an indoor ski slope learning to snowboard and it was good enough to get me through my first trip. So I'd say 1 day is all you need to get you to a half-decent snowboarding standard, good enough to get you down a hill anyway
latest report
11 year bump. Impressive...
ski holidays
SHAP wrote:
11 year bump. Impressive...

...with a link to another site on their first post. Classic smell of pork products Mad
ski holidays
SO @snOhio, its been 11 years now.
How long did it take to realise the error of your ways and get a snowboard?

I've got the frying pan & HP sauce ready to make some fritters for the next @Jmp11m post.
snow report
Link removed - clearly link farming.
snow report
Interesting thread to read, I asked the same question in 2008, a year before the OP, tried both, and settled on boarding.

Absolutely love it, and get as much time in the snow every year that I can. We’re very lucky to have a chalet in Austria which helps with that.

My annual boys trip has 3 skiers and 3 boarders, it works very well, obviously there is banter between us, but we’re of a similar ability and stay together as a group. I don’t recognise some of the issues that were highlighted earlier in the thread, you can stand up stationary on a board, and once you get the hang of it, you can clip in very quickly standing up. In my experience, ice can be a problem for both skiers and boarders.

Late season, when it’s a bit slushy down low, the skiers moan like hell, not a problem on a board. Not sure if that is a skier thing, or just the skiers I know thing!

I do agree that learner boarders may have a problem with braking. I got taken out by a boarder once when I was stood stationary outside a mountain cafe. Bloody hurt, but couldn’t get too pissed off as we all have to learn. My ex wife got taken out by a skier on a fairly empty slope, it was like a moth to a flame. poo-poo happens.

I’m tempted to try skiing again, so I can do both, especially as my kids only ski, but that can wait a few more years.

OP - what did you end up doing? Are you addicted like the rest us? Very Happy
snow report
@trainee snowboard jedi, given the OP posted 11 years ago ... expecting a response is charmingly optimistic.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@trainee snowboard jedi, given the OP posted 11 years ago ... expecting a response is charmingly optimistic.

Yep, you’re probably right, the thread just hit a chord with me.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy