Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Intro to off piste Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone. No idea what season has in store for us this season but I have booked on a bespoke off piste course with Action outdoors (UCPA) Thing is because of present situation looks like people not comfortable committing. Guess that's understandable but I want something to look forward too. Thought I would post this to try and drum up some interest as if they can't fill course obviously it will be cancelled. Have a look at Action outdoors, Chalet board in Chamonix , 5 days off piste training and guiding plus transfer from Geneva for £ 1530. Course is aimed at Skiers but I will be boarding and they are happy to let me tag along. Anyway check it out if think could be for you and hopefully see you there. Take it easy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great to be a glass half full guy and I dont wish to rain upon your parade but why book now given the massive uncertainty around any skiing in France this season? Are you sure you can get a refund if the company goes under?
£1,530 for a week with 5 days group coaching but not including flights and transfers is not a cheap deal, what's the incentive? That price is only likely to reduce.
Note the course goes to Verbier one day and Courmayeur another, dont get that, why sit on a bus to other resorts when there's plenty off piste for a season in Chamonix itself, let alone just a week?
Also another day is given to skiing the vallee blanche, whilst a great thing to do, is not really off piste, it's usually so tracked, that once you're down from the ridge walk, most of it is a long cruise like a pisted blue run with only a few trickier bits through the seracs. On a board you may have to walk some of the lower glacier too where's its flatter whereas the skiers can skate and pole on ahead.
The teacher is very much a ski instructor, surely if you want off piste boarding coaching you'd be better on a boarding course?
I would be watching things closely wrt covid and see where we are in 7 or 8 weeks, then book late, if you are allowed to go.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Phew !! Yes I hear what you say. First of all the transfer is included and the reason not specified where one will ride on any particular day is go where ever best conditions are. There is a mini bus at the groups disposal so will not be hanging around. Searched high and low for a package for all inclusive snowboard deal but cost were too heavy for me. You are correct about being patient but as I said wanted something to look forward too. As it happens trip I booked 2nd Jan has been cancelled and UCPA have been in touch informing me the trip will be canceled also. They have been brilliant in keeping me up to date and have assured me if not happen my £100 deposit will be reimbursed. If you come across any deals I would appreciate it if you give me a shout. It will all come good brother, looks like off to Austria now, if theres any snow. take it easy and be happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Read they wanted the full payment with 8 weeks to go which is about now so wasn't sure if you were paid up. Sorry to hear it's cancelled, maybe for the best given the situation though, would have only caused worry.
Very sketchy trying to plan ahead, from what I've read on here diehards are suggesting a DIY trip makes more sense, cut out the tour operators and flights. Drive down, book accom directly etc. Possibly ski touring to get some turns.
sKi areas are already getting pressure from govts to close. January is supposed to be the worst time for the virus spread.
Although I have all the kit to go I think in reality I'm looking at next season for any skiing abroad, not sure a relaxing ski holiday can be had anywhere over the next few months. Rather get the vaccine out and hope next season is back to something like normality. A year passes quickly enough. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's the problem brother a year passes far too quickly and once you pass 60 it really starts to accelerate. I rather naively thought al this malarky would be over before season kicked off. Been waiting all year for this so i will be going somewhere (I hope) Take it easy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi @will1500, Check out offpiste.co.uk . They are based in Cham and sound like it may be worth contacting if the numbers were not their to run in Cham.

Of course there's other Ucpa locations in the Alps which may have availability closer to the time.

I've had some great weeks with Ucpa.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@will1500, is that the Seb Cazorla course? Someone I know did one of those courses and they're superb. He's an IFMGA as well as a French-qualified instructor hence the cost.

I had a fair few weeks binned last year because of C19 and I got every penny back from UCPA so don't worry about that.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I used to work for Action Outdoors/UCPA and have skied (and filmed stuff) with Seb. He is a fantastic instructor and guide (and used to coach the French national team too). Well worth the money!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
was never worried because as we all know worry changes nothing. Looked at other locations with UCPA but not wanted to stay in dorm, chalet in Cham sounded ideal for me. Appreciate feed back on quality of instruction, so if not happen sure I will try some other time. Will have a look at offpiste.co.uk when the snow comes. cheers
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@will1500, have done off-piste evasion in Cham and off piste advanced in Angentiere both with UCPA and the latter was by far the better course. More exploring and great instruction. Good group of guys n gals led by a chap called Boris. One of my fave weeks. We even took a train to another hill. The evasion course was more of an intro but built up to some good terrain and insane amounts of snow but there was plenty of snow in Argentiere too both were in early Jan.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy