Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DOES ANYONE / WOULD ANYONE USE A SKISTRAP TO CARRY SKIS?

Poster: A snowHead
There is one thing that is bugging me since hearing about ski carrying accessories a year ago. Why isn't this a standard piece of kit that has been around for years?
I have been skiing for the last six years and never heard of personal ski carriers until last season. However, I have started to see a few around the pistes this year - mostly on the British.
Do any of you have one?
Would any of you use one?
Who feels it is a drag carrying skis by hand or on a tired shoulder?
What do the British think about them?
What would the Scandinavians, Austrians, French or Italians think? After all most of them ski soon after they can walk and must be used to carrying them by hand
If you are a parent how many pairs can you / do you have to carry for the spouse/kids?
Are we British the only ones who like an easier life in resort & around the pistes?

Confused Confused
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What is a "personal ski carrier"? We bought things called "pocket slings" at Olympia a couple of years ago. Find them really brilliant if you are staying a distance from the slopes.... They make skis soooo easy to carry they feel almost weightless... Maybe they aint "cool" - but why struggle when you dont have to! Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Funny you mention that, I watched some poor couple in the Leysin the other day trying to deal with four kids and all the poles and skis.

There's no shortage of woman who prefer their partners to carry their skis on the continent. Daft gadgets are more popular with the British though, or anyone that lives too far from the slopes I should think.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use one - there I've admitted it...
I know some people think they are really naff, but as far as I'm concerned if you have to carry your skis for more than a couple of minutes, it's the best £10 you'll spend - a couple of bits of velcro and hey presto - skis and poles all bundled up and slung over your shoulder.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suspect people are talking about different things here. Have you got a pic of one of these ski carriers?

Even though I'm in Austria I can't find a place that sells a hard case for skis Confused
Something like this ..... http://www.snowshack.com/doublesportube.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I brought a couple of "skistraps" from show in Southampton last year that are worth checking out if you want a simple solution to resort arm ache! No velcro ... no hassle! Lending them to your friends makes you very popular.
Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You can see a picture of one of these at www.skistrap.co.uk

enjoy - its a velcro free zone!!
DB wrote:
I suspect people are talking about different things here. Have you got a pic of one of these ski carriers?

Even though I'm in Austria I can't find a place that sells a hard case for skis Confused
Something like this ..... http://www.snowshack.com/doublesportube.html
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Only problem is I can see myself forgetting I've got it on - and walking into a bar with my skis still on my back...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have had this problem before! To avoid this just keep them on your feet until you leave the bar. Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wouldn't that stop you getting served at the bar though? You'd be two feet away from it!

Might stop you falling over (well forwards or backwards) after too much aquavit/grappa/pastis though...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not without a using your handy "Skistrap" as an effective "Barstrap" and later ... "Bonkstrap"
Now thats what I call Apre!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
goofy wrote:
Not without a using your handy "Skistrap" as an effective "Barstrap" and later ... "Bonkstrap"
Now thats what I call Apre!

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
masopa wrote:
Wouldn't that stop you getting served at the bar though? You'd be two feet away from it!

Exactly "I would get the next round in honest but I can't get anywhere near the bar, can somebody else get 'em in? "
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've always used the poles to carry the skis, was taught that in ski school 12 years ago. Put the loop of one pole over the tops of the skis, put the loop of the other pole over the tail of the skis, the pointy end of the poles goes through the the loop at the opposit end and you carry the whole shebang by the poles.
Works for horizontal and vertical carrying.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FenlandSkier,

Most of the time I tried or saw people use the ole pole loop ploy the skis ended up slipping out, particularly when going vertical - you must be very careful not to spill them / cause an injury hazard

Rhys
snow conditions
FenlandSkier,

Most of the time I tried or saw people use the ole pole loop ploy the skis ended up slipping out, particularly when going vertical - you must be very careful not to spill them / cause an injury hazard

Rhys
ski holidays
Saw a neat idea at a show a while ago.Little bag with a strap & loop coming off it.Simple idea.Put the loop over top of paired skis.Place tails in bag(keeps them together)over the shoulder and off you go.Looked good,so made us one each(bit of the duck principle here)Two problems: 1, I keep forgetting to use them(pathetic I know) 2, they tend to slip off yer shiny ski jackets.You then tend to put them over your neck and they end up across your back!!Bad news if you slip and fall.
Conclusion: Seems a good idea that does not work quite so well in practise.
Anyone got any better ideas?
snow conditions
Must say, I kind of wonder what all the fuss is about. Ok, if you have to carry more than one set of skis & poles, fair enough. But if you only have yours, even if you've got a few minutes' walk to the slopes - what's the problem?

Why not just lug them on your shoulder? Not exactly heavy, never found the skis slip off, and as long as you're vaguely careful, you shouldn't whack anyone/thing when turning around.

I'm far from superman, but I can't really see what all the fuss is about...
latest report
Saw disabled skier, with only one leg and crutches, carrying his own skis on his shoulder supported by his chin. If he can do it we all can Smile
snow report
I find just carrying them over my shoulder easiest too. Gadgets are usually more trouble than they're worth, especially where straps are concerned. By the way, I'm a lightweight, vertically-challenged female and I *never* ask my partner to carry my skis for me (he'd say no, anyway).
ski holidays
Quote:

Saw disabled skier, with only one leg and crutches, carrying his own skis on his shoulder supported by his chin.

Excuse curiosity, how many skis was this person carrying? Twisted Evil
I never thought much about carrying skis until a couple of weeks ago when I took three children with me (not all mine). If I had a chance I would have swapped my xscreams for something lighter.
Martin

If you really need a personal ski carrier, how about marrying one?
latest report
Use one of these skisling things...

http://www.skisling.com

well worth a tenner of anyones money.
Bag pulls tight on base of skis, clip other end above mounts and the whole lot makes a simple, comfortable, effective carrying thing.
Removal easy - unclip, put foot on strap and lift skis out. Whole fits easily into gogglepocket in jacket.

makes carrying skis easy !

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 23-02-04 23:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Vic Dennis wrote:
I find just carrying them over my shoulder easiest too. Gadgets are usually more trouble than they're worth, especially where straps are concerned. By the way, I'm a lightweight, vertically-challenged female and I *never* ask my partner to carry my skis for me (he'd say no, anyway).

In the interests of sexual equality, I sometimes ask my girlfriend to carry my skis while I sort my hair out... Wink
snow report
Nice one M. Along the same lines,I will often offer to carry my wife's skis;as long as she carries mine!! Laughing
latest report
This year i bought a Dakine Heli-Pak with a ski cross-carry system. Would still carry them over my shoulder for short journeys but for hiking and the trek back through a busy(ish) town at the end of the day it was great.
snow report
I use one I bought from Slush & Rubble. I don't need one, it just makes it easier. The last two places I've been I've had a bit of a walk (20 minutes last week, 15 last year including the Cervinia steps) and yes I could have managed without but at only a few quid, I decided I'd prefer with.

I get round the "slipping off should bit" by putting them across diagonally.

It lives in my ski-trousers pocket now, in case I need it. 'Twas great when my mate bust his bindings and I skied down with them across my back.
latest report
skanky,

By "skied down with them across my back" do you mean just his skis or him and his skis Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Thanks Rhys ref; www.skistrap.co.uk . These are the straps I brought. They are such a simple idea. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just the skis, it is neither that good, nor I that generous! Very Happy
ski holidays
Bought the S & R one this year and used it - I'm not proud! V Good - good idea about using it diagonally across shoulders - even better
snow conditions
You do have to be a bit more careful in crowded areas when you do wear it that way, though. I only tend to do it that way for long walks...but then I've still got quite long skis.
ski holidays
I also bought a "SkiStrap" at the Southampton Ski show last year. It worked very well and makes carrying skis an absolute doddle. Their website (http://www.skistrap.co.uk/) says that they are £12.75 + P&P. I only paid £10 for mine.
snow report
Have ski straps been mentioned in the tread about what makes you look like a punter Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
AB Ski wrote:
Have ski straps been mentioned in the tread about what makes you look like a punter Madeye-Smiley

oh yes Very Happy not only that, it was this thread that moved me to start the punter thread...
latest report
Proud to be a punter snowHead Cool (we should have a snowhead in shades smilie).
snow report
If you hire a little man - then surely he can carry them for you no?
snow conditions
May make me look like a punter but my ski strap was a godsend when we decided to make our first foray into off piste land and try the Vallee Blanche last time out. Carrying skis down tiny little roped off ridge and back up what seemed like thousands of steps at the other end would have been a nightmare without it!

At last, I've come out of the closet, I'm a punter and proud of it!!
ski holidays
yamazaki, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
latest report
homphomp wrote:
May make me look like a punter but my ski strap was a godsend when we decided to make our first foray into off piste land and try the Vallee Blanche last time out. Carrying skis down tiny little roped off ridge and back up what seemed like thousands of steps at the other end would have been a nightmare without it!

At last, I've come out of the closet, I'm a punter and proud of it!!

Nothing wrong with being a skistrap punter for those skiers wanting an easier life.
Any snowboardstrap punters out there! ?
Laughing
snow conditions
Anyone who skis much off-piste will have a rucksack and these usually allow skis to be carried while climbing uphill (one of those funny things off-piste fanatics do to access fresh slopes).
Mind you, it takes a minute or two to strap them on.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy