Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Conditions at Christmas/New Year

AlphaOscar
AlphaOscar
Hi there,

We are a group of 10 looking at going to Chamonix this December for New Years. Most of the group are beginners who have never skied before but a few of us have skied plenty of times... My worry is the snow conditions for the beginners. I'm sure we more experienced skiers would almost certainly be able to find a ski area in Chamonix with some decent skiing, but what will the experience be like for the beginners.

Can anyone give any insight into this?

Thanks in advance Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@AlphaOscar, welcome to SnowHeads snowHead

Les Houches is good for beginners and it could work out as there is plenty of good stuff for more experienced skiers in other areas.

However... Chamonix is a bunch of sectors linked by bus not by the lift system and personally I don't think you want the hassles of managing that with such a group, in early season and at one of the busiest weeks of the year.

I would have thought somewhere like La Plagne or 3V would be better as they are fully linked, everything for everyone and plenty of good altitude skiing along with good snowmaking. Not the cheapest of course, especially that week but I don't know if you have budget constraints.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 27-04-21 11:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@AlphaOscar, indeed, welcome to SHs snowHead

Christmas is not usually so very busy but New Year is the highest week of the year. Like almost anywhere else, conditions can be very variable.

I think for a very mixed group, @Layne's comments are pretty sensible.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AlphaOscar, welcome to SHs,

Is there a particular reason why you've chose Chamonix? It certainly wouldn't be my first choice for a mixed group particularly at that point in the season?

What's the group's main off-the-snow requirements?

If you could let us know then we could offer some suggestions - but I would definitely agree with @Layne's recommendations (3Vs especially). And does it have to be France?
snow report
 AlphaOscar
AlphaOscar
Hi All,

Many thanks for the above replies. Two of us have skied in Chamonix and knew it would be difficult for a mixed ability group, however, we're all happy to split up and head in different directions knowing we'll spend the evening together.

One of our group has a family chalet in Les Pècles which brings the cost of the trip down considerably, hence the reason we're trying to push for Chamonix (please bear in mind were mostly poor students haha).

Albeit the conditions are variable anywhere, on the understanding that the lift pass covers a variety of ski areas we thought that we would be able to find some decent snow somewhere..!

Following on from the student comment, we just want some decent skiing, good après (which I was too young to enjoy last time I was in Chamonix), and a nice place to spend new year's eve.

Many thanks for the advice, any other suggestions are welcomed! Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
AlphaOscar wrote:
Hi All,

Many thanks for the above replies. Two of us have skied in Chamonix and knew it would be difficult for a mixed ability group, however, we're all happy to split up and head in different directions knowing we'll spend the evening together.

One of our group has a family chalet in Les Pècles which brings the cost of the trip down considerably, hence the reason we're trying to push for Chamonix (please bear in mind were mostly poor students haha).

Albeit the conditions are variable anywhere, on the understanding that the lift pass covers a variety of ski areas we thought that we would be able to find some decent snow somewhere..!

Following on from the student comment, we just want some decent skiing, good après (which I was too young to enjoy last time I was in Chamonix), and a nice place to spend new year's eve.

Many thanks for the advice, any other suggestions are welcomed! Smile

Well, if I had a chalet available I'd be prepared to put up with a few inconveniences. And yeah I believe Chamonix is a good place to hang out (I didn't much the two times I've been), so I'd go for it. They'll be enough snow to ski, whether it's vintage or not is down to the weather gods.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@AlphaOscar, Chamonix valley has lots of plusses IMO.

Unfortunately, good for beginners and easy to navigate around are unfortun not amongst them. It can also be cold and bleak in mid winter, without much sun in the valley, as it’s low and obstructed by high mountains.

If you confirm Chamonix, research on where is best for beginners will be invaluable. If you have motor vehicles to use, it makes it so much easier.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@AlphaOscar, aha. If you already have (some) accom available, that definitely makes a lot more sense. And if you are all students, therefore young, and prepared to forego a bit of convenience to save money so much the better.

Absolute beginners don't really need a lot, and may not want to be on skis all day, 08:30-16:15 ...

Best beginner areas (including for convenience) being the Savoy and Brevent (there's a reasonably new beginners' area up there). You can (probably depending on where exactly you are) walk from Les Pecles to Brevent - google maps suggesting around 15 minutes and if you take the Chemin du Vieux Guide you miss out the Roumnaz hill. Savoy easier as it's at valley level and conveniently next door to the Folie Douce ... Twisted Evil

As for snow though? well, who knows ...??
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
To get a feel for the snow at that time of year Les Houches has a webcam where you can check out different days back to 2014: https://panocam.skiline.cc/chamonix/houches
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@hold_my_biere, not sure it belongs to les Houches and while fun ...past performance and all that
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy