Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me some old style strap bindings please.

Poster: A snowHead
I don't get on with newer style toe cap bindings, like the control feel over the top of my foot rearwards of my toes (and it hurts less). But also not getting on with the new style, not-very-quick release or fasten up faff-around-with Flows (like then one riding just fine). So it's probably back to old-style 2-strappers for me.
Any idea of models of bindings which I might pick up on EB or elsewhere, new or 2nd hand? I have browsed quite a bit, but it's difficult to tell with many of them these days.
Ideally quite narrow, small m23.5 woman's foot.
Piste rider, rarely do tricks or jumps (and then only at gibbering idiot level!)
Cheers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Grizzler, I have a pair of old womens bindings (the bindings are old, not that they belonged to an old lady...) you can have for postage. They're over the foot so use them as is, or you can cannibalise for bits. PM me if you're interested.

If you want to go new, there are a few - have a look at Bent Metal or Union - both have forward straps you can go over the foot with or over the toe. It's really only Burton that do very moulded toe-caps which don't really work over the foot.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Richard_Sideways, cheers. Will do.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Grizzler, absolute-snow.co.uk have some good deals on last seasons bindings at the moment.

From memory, I think most Union bindings use a toe strap that can be worn either over the top or cap strap style if that helps.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 to Union bindings - I have a board with Union Force - and unlike a lot of the bindings the toe strap is not moulded / curved & can be used on toe or over toe.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't most new bindings have a strap that goes over the toe or slightly higher up on the foot ?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rayscoops, sort of - Some, Burton in particular, tend to have more structure to the toe piece, making it more of a cup which, while you *can* put it over the top, its pretty unwieldy and bulky.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My experience of looking and trying on in shops (several makes) is as many of you have said - might seem as if the forward strap can go either over toes or over top of foot, but definitely is really designed as a toe cap which can 'squash down' if you really, really insist and isn't ideal if you want a nice tight-fitting feel to the strap. Also, this means that it is frequently quite far forward compared to where I want the control. I have an old pair of men's Burtons and they're nice and do the job, just a bit big for me.
Thanks for all the suggestions: I'll have a look. just hope that I get some chance to get out on the board this year... Not brave enough for long English drag lifts and combat skiing Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yup, I’ve got combination of Burton & Union.....prefer Burton as I like strap over my toe - but would be pretty uncomfortable over the top I would think.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think
these are the bindings I've got but despite what they say about the "toe strap" being suitable for use both over the front and the top of the foot, I don't find them wide enough to go over the end of the toes and have had them slip enough times that I won't be trying any more.

Have often wondered whether it's user error or that they just aren't really suitable for that.

Hoping not to thread hijack, but wondered what others' take on this is?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 16-10-20 15:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was wearing my binding strap over the foot until someone asked why don’t I put them over the toe - works equally well, not sure which is the best

Drake Podium
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jebroni3_16 wrote:
I think
these are the bindings I've got but despite what they say about the "toe strap" being suitable for use both over the front and the top of the foot, I don't find them wide enough to go over the end of the toes and have had them slip enough times that I won't be trying any more.

Have often wondered whether it's user error or that they just aren't really suitable for that.

Hoping not to thread hijack, but wondered what others' take on this is?

I had some of those Burton FS. The only way I could get them across my toes was to take the toe strap apart and set it to the widest setting.
Out of the box then only fitted across the top.

I now have Burton Missions, the toe strap is not a full on cap, just gently curved so you can use it as either or. Again you need to move the adjuster down from its OOTB position to feel comfortable as a pull-in toe strap and still have plenty of notches in the ratchet. ( no thats no a euphemism )
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
WindOfChange wrote:
I had some of those Burton FS. The only way I could get them across my toes was to take the toe strap apart and set it to the widest setting.
Out of the box then only fitted across the top.

I now have Burton Missions, the toe strap is not a full on cap, just gently curved so you can use it as either or. Again you need to move the adjuster down from its OOTB position to feel comfortable as a pull-in toe strap and still have plenty of notches in the ratchet. ( no thats no a euphemism )

So it isn't just me being simple then? Good to know, thanks WindOfChange

Now I just need to work out why the link is inserting a preview screenshot image as I don't think it usually does that when I use hyperlinks Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Burton
Small mens binders are for 24-26cm mens boots
Small womans binders are for 21-23cm womans boots

Richards offer is good news possibly very good news

The unknown is your actual boot size in use?..... 23.5cm foot/boot is probably found via ebay (as the best easy option via not alot of stock in general) vs oversizing both boot an binding .

Lacing boot crush and additional strap boot crush is a bootfit train wreck when using oversized boots and then oversized binders ... the toe strap will be a wet bandaid fix that wont fix the underlying issue if this is the case .

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 18-10-20 16:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Grizzler

I've never gone over to toe cap straps ...... tried but don't like the 'feel' and have never been convinced shifting the leverage point made much sense

May be down to my 'loose' riding style

Plenty of serviceable older bindings on your favourite auction internet site, with plenty of life in 'em

Bought two pairs of SPi s last year with almost zero time on them ...... I just buy them up as the tastier ones come along
ski holidays
Would this pair of K2 Indy bindings fit?

Men's UK 3.5 - 7.5 / 23 - 26cm so I *think* they would... but can't comment on the bindings themselves.

Did contact the seller a while ago for some info and was quick and honest with his answers.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy