Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reports that Italy will be added to quarantine list

Poster: A snowHead
Media reports this morning that Italy is likely to join the list of countries that will require a quarantine when travellers return to the UK, effective from Sunday 18th.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Plenty of time for them to be put on, off and back on again before Christmas.

Best not to worry too much about the probabilities until the last couple of weeks before you travel.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brianatab wrote:
Plenty of time for them to be put on, off and back on again before Christmas.

Best not to worry too much about the probabilities until the last couple of weeks before you travel.
Agreed, on both points.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Italian 7 day rate is nearly 60 and rising so would hardly be a surprise. Germany is nearly 40 and rising, if that continues that must happen soon too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As of this morning (15th), Italy was 96 and Germany nearly 60, so going up fast. On the other hand, the UK is 302, so not sure quarantining people on the way back in is going to have a marked effect.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I seem to remember that when the "20" rate was introduced the UKs figure was about 13.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JuanPlank, Those are 14 day figures. I think they are better but the UK is (or at least was) using the 7 day ones as here https://www.statista.com/statistics/1139048/coronavirus-case-rates-in-the-past-7-days-in-europe-by-country/ . There was a rule of thumb that cases had to be under 20 / 100,000 in 7 days for countries to stay in but that seems to have gone by the board with the general chaos in the UK
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
Media reports this morning that Italy is likely to join the list of countries that will require a quarantine when travellers return to the UK, effective from Sunday 18th.

brianatab wrote:
Plenty of time for them to be put on, off and back on again before Christmas. Best not to worry too much about the probabilities until the last couple of weeks before you travel.

Not if you were planning a cheeky trip out to Cervinia next week rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The UK has been using a mixture of data in addition the 20/100,000 cases per 7 days, such as number of tests per 100,000, number of positive cases rising per number of tests per 100,000 etc ... not unlike what the EU is putting in place for their traffic light system, just less transparent and rigid.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just happened
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54557645
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sad news. Italy had actually been doing very well compared to other nations.
there were even news reports a month ago on how they'd got it right.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"The government has promised that passengers will, by next month, be able to pay for privately-funded Covid tests to reduce the quarantine period by a week."

1-week quarantine starts to get into the domain of "workable"...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I broadly supported it at first although it has caused me big problems living in France. UK was doing well and the bar was set, France happened to be well above the bar. Now though countries that have levels well below that of the UK are being hit. Seems a total farce now tbh.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Claude B, We wouldn't want foreigners coming in and diluting our cesspit... rolling eyes
ski holidays
@adithorp, or returning UK citizens.

Other nonsenses. I quietly slipped into UK recently for 3 days observing quarantine rules. I could have legally stayed with my mid 80s parents but wasn't prepared to take any risks. I holed up in a hotel instead and couldn't legally see them.
snow conditions
adithorp wrote:
@Claude B, We wouldn't want foreigners coming in and diluting our cesspit... rolling eyes

We aren't the only ones doing it as well. Finland is currently barring visitors from a number of countries with lower rates than Finland itself. Which is going to make their World Cup racing interesting in a few weeks.
latest report
snowdave wrote:
"The government has promised that passengers will, by next month, be able to pay for privately-funded Covid tests to reduce the quarantine period by a week."

2 weeks is doable if you are lucky enough to be able to work from home (and don't have kids). Mind numbing but not too different to the "new normal".
snow conditions
I think we all see the avalanche of measures meaning the ski season will be over for most.
latest report
How many tests is Italy (for example) doing each day ? For me the issue isn’t just how many cases each country records per 100,000 per 7 days, it’s also how many tests per 100,000 per 7 days that they are undertaking to find those cases and what percentage of tests are positive.

If a country has half our infection rate but only carry out a quarter of the number of tests (per 100,000) ... it puts things in a different perspective
snow conditions
LittleBullet wrote:
snowdave wrote:

2 weeks is doable if you are lucky enough to be able to work from home (and don't have kids). Mind numbing but not too different to the "new normal".

Will I'm 6 days into my quarantine after working in France for 2 days.

Food provided outside my quarantine room come the evening I see my wife over dinner at the end of a hall.

PITA but has to be done (unless you are a football linesman who don't have to quarantine).
ski holidays
@GlasgowCyclops, why didn't you get a test when you left France and a test 5 days later here ? at least you would know if you had Covid or not and perhaps manage your isolation?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy