Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All-Mountain Ski (Voelkl vs Dynastar)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

I am looking into buying a new ski for the upcoming winter season.

I am an intermediate/advanced skier who wants to extend the skiing range towards freeride and touring. Approx.: 50% on-piste, 40% off-piste and 10% small tours (i.e. <2 hrs and <750 hm).

I found two great offers which I would potentially combine with the Marker baron:

- Dynastar Legend X96 19/20 (alt. X88?) -- is it too wide for 50% on piste? Otherwise it seems to be highly recommended...
- Voelkl Kendo 88 19/20 -- Often described as difficult to ski and only for advanced/experts

Do you have any experiences with one of the skis or alternative ideas?

Any help is much appreciated!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Also worth trying Atomic Vantage 90 - great on piste and in the chopped-up stuff.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Legend 96 is a go to ski for what you are describing and 96 is in no way too wide. You can happily carve nice turns on a 96 (and much wider) ski on piste, though obviously not to the same degree as 69mm ski. Its also wide enough for you to start enjoying (rather than suffering through) off-piste and getting into powder.

I personally think 80-90mm is a bit of a weird and unnecessary size range. Too wide for pure piste (ie short snappy turns, SL style) and imo not really wide enough for most skiers to enjoy powder/chop. I have a 69mm slalom ski, a 102mm daily ski and a 120mm powder ski. This is a good mix I think and its my 102mm that sees the most action.

Obviously trying before buying is the only sure way to know what suits you though. I hired and tested for ages before buying!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 11-10-20 14:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I skied the Kendo 88 last night at the ski test and really enjoyed it, albeit, was inside the snow dome, so couldn't give full feedback on them, but I didn't find them difficult to ski.

Is there anyway of trying them?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ToRoHa, I ski some 90mm Kendo's and love em. Don't find them difficult and reasonably light when hiking Toofy Grin
Also been ok in 2+ feet of powder.

Spoke to users of last years who liked them, and the M5 Mantra.
Best thing you can do is demo plenty of skis to see what suits your skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Great! Many thanks for the advice. Do you think the Marker Baron is a good choice for these skis, too?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ToRoHa wrote:
Great! Many thanks for the advice. Do you think the Marker Baron is a good choice for these skis, too?

The Baron's not a touring binding. Get them mounted with Shifts.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ToRoHa, just as an aside, what boots you using?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy