Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurotest Diatribe

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A great summary of the reality of what the Eurotest means to most candidates who have had a go. Herr Hitler sums it up well... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/gfiKRfgSOVo&feature=youtu.be
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bASI pencil Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Test in Italy on Monday...I am told that only one Brit passed and there were a lot of very hacked off Italians who now cannot take their jobs up.

Meanwhile several excellent people I know are cross-converting to the Swiss and have done their Patente (about ISIS/BASI 3+) and then the Brevet (ISTD in all but Eurotest).

The Brevet does require two speed tests at SL and GS, both are demanding and a true test but both are meant to be just that: i.e. a Test. Not a barrier to qualification. pass rates are often over 50%...because if you are good enough for ISTD level skiing then you will most likely be fast enough...you don't need to be a racer though. Eurotest is a RACE test, not a ski test.

With Brevet you can go independent and earning in Switzerland on that basis are extremely attractive...in GBP term 500 quid a day is realistic.

For context: I am not an instructor, and nowhere near good enough...but both my kids are (L3 "retired" and L2working the season in Japan) and I have spent some time on Eurotest training courses just for self improvement purposes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rungsp, not sure you need an SL test, where did you hear that?...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From a Brevet yesterday...maybe I misunderstood and it is a SL for Patent and GS for Brevet (or the other way around)?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Day 2 of the Eurotest at Carezza was yesterday...3 BASIs passed..apparently an easier course was set after complaints about Monday
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's mainly designed to restrict the supply of ski instructors so those that work can have better earnings isn't it? Bit like The Knowledge for cabbies in London. I believe it happens with the UIAGM tests as well - if they get loads of candidates in a year the assessors just push the climbing standard up.

Obviously the risk is that we end up with instructors who are great skiers but poor teachers. I definitely want a ski instructor to be an inspirational skier but I definitely think it would make more sense to tighten the teaching standard than the race standard. I just suspect that is much trickier because it is subjective.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rungsp, The courses were pretty much identical both days with only a small difference in offset between runs, which is as close as you are going to get. I was opening so got to ski all 4 courses over both days.

The chap that passed on day one has done about 5 weeks of race training and the other one who passed from our training group has done 7 weeks of training. Thats approximately 2/3 hours of skiing in gates, which really isn't very much and both wouldn't class themselves as racers.

I am going to create a video from their first training day through to their winning runs in Carezza to show the process and their rate of improvement. Hopefully it will be useful and I will post here once it is ready.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jjc wrote:

I am going to create a video from their first training day through to their winning runs in Carezza to show the process and their rate of improvement. Hopefully it will be useful and I will post here once it is ready.

Sounds interesting.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jedster wrote:
It's mainly designed to restrict the supply of ski instructors so those that work can have better earnings isn't it? Bit like The Knowledge for cabbies in London. I believe it happens with the UIAGM tests as well - if they get loads of candidates in a year the assessors just push the climbing standard up.

Obviously the risk is that we end up with instructors who are great skiers but poor teachers. I definitely want a ski instructor to be an inspirational skier but I definitely think it would make more sense to tighten the teaching standard than the race standard. I just suspect that is much trickier because it is subjective.

Agree with most of that, however, I disagree with the 'inspirational skier' requirement. I've had lessons with French instructors who were 'great skiers' (very very good English skills and racers) and several different BASI instructors. In terms of teaching skills and my improvement over a few days, the latter win hands down. It's great fun and useful to ski behind the former and caning it round the mountain for follow-me sessions, but in terms of teaching a skills set and improving my skiing, it's no contest.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ALQ,
You're not wrong - if you have to choose then teaching skills win out. I just want both. And if I can't have both I won't spend the money.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jjc wrote:
@rungsp,

Any chance of posting it? Thanks
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They're all a lot more elderly now, @Powder Pete, and probably slower.....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy