Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atomic Vantage 79c

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Long time lurker, first time poster:

Back in July I bought a pair of Atomic Vantage 79c skis as my first pair out of renting for my whole life (weird time of year but it was a good price). When I was a kid I used to go every year but had a gap of about 10 years (I’m now 27), went last year and loved every minute of it - even the drive had its charm though that may be rose tinted spectacles talking!

Almost all my skiing is on piste and can ski blues and reds comfortably with most blacks being doable although I cannot stand moguls so I just focus on getting down without a trip to the A and E.

I can carve a little on slopes which aren’t too steep and really want to improve this aspect of my skiing.

My question is, have I made a good choice or a £300 mistake? Would I have been better off going for something a little more advanced or a little more beginner focused? A little wider or a little narrower?

One persons “intermediate” is another persons beginner etc and so many of the “reviews” online basically say that every ski is brilliant which isn’t hugely helpful for newbies. Confused
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm assuming that you have your own boots? When buying your first lot of equipment it's usually recommended to buy properly fitted boots first and then skis.

That ski sounds good for you so long as the length is suitable for your weight/height (which you haven't stated) so if the length is correct then you're good to go. And that's a good price and equivalent to about four weeks of renting a decent ski (if you include carriage/servcing) so if you need to flip them after that then it's no loss.

The next recipient of your expenditure should be a good instructor.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As previous reply, seem perfectly ok and doubt there would be an issue in you progressing with them.

Also echo value of instruction to get you appreciating development of your own skills.

I feel with skis like this and the question asked, then as you re-establish your skill set and add to personal library of techniques, you'll bring confidence in your own judgement of exactly what they can do.
It's not that they'll have any particular shortcomings, just that as you improve skills, then more clearly you'll identify attributes in the ski you'd want to enhance or reduce with your next step onwards.

Then before you know it you'll be looking at the specification of a next ski to buy with much more confidence you can define what you'd want.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon wrote:
I'm assuming that you have your own boots? When buying your first lot of equipment it's usually recommended to buy properly fitted boots first and then skis.

That ski sounds good for you so long as the length is suitable for your weight/height (which you haven't stated) so if the length is correct then you're good to go. And that's a good price and equivalent to about four weeks of renting a decent ski (if you include carriage/servcing) so if you need to flip them after that then it's no loss.

The next recipient of your expenditure should be a good instructor.

I’m about 5’11 (178 ish cm) and anywhere between 78-86 kg/ 13 stone. The skis are 171cm long.

Yep I bought some boots as well. Atomic Hawx Ultras and had them all fitted. After 2 hours at Hemel
Hempstead they seem pretty nice - a lot better than the rentals! The skis seemed okay as well *there* but of course a 50 yard gentle slope is not quite the same as the alps.

Ps You’re probably right about the instructor!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@PrinceJohn, that all sounds good. If I was being picky you could have gone a length longer due the tip rocker on the ski making them ski a bit short but that's certainly not a deal breaker.

If you can access Hemel then that's great as that's where InsideOutSkiing are based which is run by two fellow snowHeads (rob@rar & skimottaret) who are both great guys and highly regarded instructors - so get some lessons booked with them.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon wrote:
@PrinceJohn, that all sounds good. If I was being picky you could have gone a length longer due the tip rocker on the ski making them ski a bit short but that's certainly not a deal breaker.

If you can access Hemel then that's great as that's where InsideOutSkiing are based which is run by two fellow snowHeads (rob@rar & skimottaret) who are both great guys and highly regarded instructors - so get some lessons booked with them.

Thanks for the advice. I just might give them a shout Smile COVID permitting, of course...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy