Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva Airport Car Hire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So snowheaders, which car hire company would you say has the shortest queues, Geneva Airport swiss side? February half term, (but Scotland, so week before crazy time!). TIA.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IMHO it’s random. I think the worst for me was Sixt on one occasion, but a lot depends on who Holiday Autos and Autoeuropa have been promoting.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hertz Gold Club. If there's not much in the final price, go for Hertz and join their free Gold Club loyalty scheme. You get an upgrade if possible and a free 2nd. driver.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It seems to vary every time I go, which is over 15 times now. Worst time was Geneva motorshow weekend, but thats cancelled for 2021 so no issues there.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can you still do that going through to the french side thing, and hire cars cheaper there? Used to be able to do it, but been a while since I've been through GVA airport.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Markymark29 wrote:
Can you still do that going through to the french side thing, and hire cars cheaper there? Used to be able to do it, but been a while since I've been through GVA airport.

Yes, you can still rent cheaper on the French side but it is such a pain in the ass. I will never do it again.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've used a few of the Geneva providers and they have all been pretty efficient at the desk-but then again, I haven't been travelling over the busiest weeks.
Don't forget the Swiss side gives winter tyres as a matter of course unlike the French side rentals.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swiss side cars also have the Swiss motorway vignette, so you can access the motorway directly outside the airport, then it's a few miles south into France.

French side cars have no Swiss vignette, so you have either go west out the back of the airport into France or across Geneva city on normal roads. It did work out OK for us last time we did it in early March, I think it was Geneva Car Show week, so avoiding the exhibition centre was a good thing, traffic was flowing freely across the City and we were only going to Morillon/Grand Massif.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

so you have either go west out the back of the airport into France or across Geneva city on normal roads

or buy a vignette, either in advance or at the border. But having winter tyres is a big advantage. It's not always a lot cheaper on the French side - though at half term it could be less busy.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

or buy a vignette, either in advance or at the border. But having winter tyres is a big advantage. It's not always a lot cheaper on the French side - though at half term it could be less busy.

You are correct sometimes it is actually cheeper on the Swiss side and sometimes very much cheeper on the French. Just do the comparisons when you are looking to book. Personally I find the French side a little bit more convenient, especially if you have only cabin baggage. There is never a queue at secrurity going airside from France.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Odd question, but do hire companies have a restriction on taking a hire care above the snowline? Sounds dumb I know, but in Australia there is a premium for taking a car into alpine areas in winter.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Odd question, but do hire companies have a restriction on taking a hire care above the snowline? Sounds dumb I know, but in Australia there is a premium for taking a car into alpine areas in winter.

Never heard of it. We always take ours above the snowline in Les Arcs.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FrediKanoute wrote:

With any luck you’ll already be above the snowline at GVA when you pick it up.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@FrediKanoute No, there's no limitations re snowline. But just double-check if you go for the very smallest, cheapest, 'bargain' car form some providers or intermediaries - this can be meant really only for local trips around Geneva and nearby valley areas. My brother-in-law did this and on arrival it was the teeniest Smart car you've ever seen. However, the vast majority are mainstream vehicles and even the smallest category (e.g. Fiesta, Corsa etc.) are winterised with chains included and vignette for the Swiss autoroutes. Always double check it comes with winter tyres and chains included, and vignette. Intermediaries are notorious for ambiguous descriptions. The Geneva Airport pages re the on-site car hire companies is at

https://www.gva.ch/en/Site/Passagers/Acces-Transports/Location-voitures/Suisse

Bear in mind these are the only car hire companies operating on site. The intermediaries only have these as their end-suppliers. So just be careful when using an intermediary that they're not cutting corners by not including the cost of vignette, or chains, fo which you'll be charged at the desk when you arrive.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

With any luck you’ll already be above the snowline at GVA when you pick it up.

You'd perhaps better hope not. If there's any significant snow GVA airport schedules tend to fall apart.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy