Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid to christmas 2021 Early 2022

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking to combine a Christmas Market trip with some skiing. Possibly staying away for Christmas (depending on our annual group date) Anyone have any suggestions?

A few huts with some Christmas charm, street food and gluwein will suffice. Not the commercial aspect of Chinese tat.

Ideally not France, as that is where we go as a group + I prefer Austrian food & everywhere sells one of my favourite beers Erdinger Dunkeles!

Somewhere easy to get to ideally - as I don't really want to drive! so i guess that limits choices in italy?
Missus is nervous on reds, so I am going to be limited to what she is comfortable on.
My list so far...
Seedfeld
Garmisch-Partenkirchen (easy to get to from munich?)
Zell am See
Kitzbuhel
St johan tirol
Mayrhofen
Maria Alm
Innsbruck not on the list, as I want to stay close to skiing.
Anyone with other suggestions?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 29-11-20 16:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bolzano? Bus to Selva?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Seefeld is a good idea, and the Christmas markets there are lovely. The mountains there pick up a lot of snow too.

Garmisch is a bit bigger, and with all the shopping going on there (Sport Conrad etc) does feel more commercial, but it's still nice. I prefer the Innsbruck Old Town and Seefeld markets though. Never skied there, not sure it's actually that much more convenient that Innsbruck to Patscherkofel/Nordkette. From Munich Airport you can get the Flix Bus for around €10 a person.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sbooker,
Selva looks good. Will have to explore transfers
looks like I could get a train to Bressanone from Innsbruck & bus from there.

@clarky999,
I wasn't really fussed by Innsbruck Xmas market. Not a patch on Augsburg or Nuremberg imo.
Also, most of skiing was closed due to lack of snow last time (early/mid dec), so had to go to Stubai.
Seefeld webcams wasnt any better. Garmisch would be a lot more difficult to get to.
Innsbruck has 3x flights a week from Bristol... or had before covid!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 29-11-20 15:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Planning 2 years ahead for a Christmas market trip Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DJL wrote:

A year ahead. Just not sure if we'd go for Christmas or the lead up to Christmas.
However, EasyJet website says next winter flights will be available soon.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mr.Egg, you put 2022 in the title...so 2 years in advance unless you meant to put 2021
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mr.Egg wrote:
DJL wrote:

A year ahead. Just not sure if we'd go for Christmas or the lead up to Christmas.
However, EasyJet website says next winter flights will be available soon.

That would still be Christmas 2021 though. We are about to have Christmas 2020 wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Mr.Egg, you put 2022 in the title...so 2 years in advance unless you meant to put 2021

December 2021 january 2022
Have edited the title now Blush
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd go for Garmisch. Seefeld is great but doesn't have much open in the way of bars in the evening. And the market isn't huge. But if you go to Garmisch, it's an easy trip by car or train (three stops as I recall!) so you get the best of both worlds.

Garmisch itself has loads of bars, and Partenkirchen has more old-fashioned Gaststube-type places. And a really good Greek restaurant!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
following as my daughter just asked if we could goto a real Xmas market next year....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Last Christmas we had 10 days in Ischgl but the resort was closed on our first day there because it was a blizzard. Luckily we had a hire car so had a day out at Innsbruck. We had a lovely day there, interesting city and the market had enough hot drinks and local alcohol to keep us amused. Ischgl as a resort might suit you because although it's got a decent amount of skiing the layout means it's quite compact and it's easy to meet up. It's possible to have a good time there skiing just blue runs as there's plenty of them, just need to download by gondola to the town at the end of the day as the home runs both have some fairly steep bits. Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis would be another great resort for you, I like the villages and there's plenty of good pistes in the blue/easy red category. Why not a couple of nights in Innsbruck then a week in Serfaus?

Never been to Selva at Christmas but it's a likeable town. The skiing there is at the harder end of what's available in the Dolomites, so it might not be great for your missus. Corvara might be a better option. If you're only going for a week then you might as well just get a package - the coach transfer from Innsbruck or Venice or Verona isn't too bad.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mr.Egg wrote:
@clarky999,
I wasn't really fussed by Innsbruck Xmas market. Not a patch on Augsburg or Nuremberg imo.

It depends what you're looking for really. If you want more of a shopping sort of trip then probably any of the big city markets would be better - and if that's what you want then you'd probably find any of the ski resort markets (or other markets mentioned here) less interesting than Innsbruck. If you're after more of a chocolate box Glühwein and Krapfen sort of thing then Seefeld could be good. Smaller than the main Innsbruck markets but cute.

Mr.Egg wrote:
Also, most of skiing was closed due to lack of snow last time (early/mid dec), so had to go to Stubai.
Seefeld webcams wasnt any better. Garmisch would be a lot more difficult to get to.

Seefeld will never have dramatically better snow than the Innsbruck resorts as it gets snow from the same weather patterns, but if it doesn't have snow, then neither will anywhere else in the Northern Alps. As you say, benefit of Innsbruck is being able to go south into the main alpine ridge for the glaciers and other resorts (like Bergeralm) that get snow from the south too.

Last season was a pretty slow start by usual standards (better than this year mind), but this is how Seefeld looked on 17th Dec 2019:

Föhn the day after though...

Mr.Egg wrote:
@sbooker,
Selva looks good. Will have to explore transfers
looks like I could get a train to Bressanone from Innsbruck & bus from there.

Beautiful place but gets much less snow than eg Seefeld. Probably the best snowmaking in the Alps though, if you don't mind artificial snow. However given the number of resorts both north and south within an hour of IBK, you could just book flights to Innsbruck then wait until Dec 2021 to see if the start of season weather favours the northern or southern side of the Alpine ridge and decide from there.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks, i think innsbruck will be our choice of arrival, as it gives us the most choices. Selva, seefeld, serfaus, st johann. S,N,W&E options. Not ruled out zilla/mayhofren either.
Looking at how bank holiday falls, we are now looking at travel on sunday 26th return jan 2nd
Mon and Tues is bank holiday in uk as well as monday jan 3rd.
So a week skiing for 3 days annual leave.
Another option is wed 22nd to the fri or sunday for 6 days annual leave.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And I probably won't be able to spend Christmas with my relatives. In the USA, we have monstrous statistics on COVID, and this year I do not even dream of going abroad on vacation. Still, I want to take care of myself and my family. We'll get vaccinated - then we'll go and see the world.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy