Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Toronto or Ottawa?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey, I am moving to Canada for a year and may have the option of living in either Ottawa or Toronto. One of the main reasons of the move is to be able to ski however due to work I am limited to these two cities. Just wondering which would be the better base for access to ski resorts? Also wondering if there was a certain ski pass anyone would recommend for a variety of ski resorts? I would like to try a few different places rather than the one resort. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Toronto. Bigger airport to fly to the west coast! wink NehNeh
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Was going to say the same - bit like saying London or Birmingham - which is best for skiing? Ease you can get out being the main factor.

But this is a good start

https://www.j2ski.com/american_ski_resorts/Airports/Ottawa.htmlhttps://www.j2ski.com/american_ski_resorts/Airports/Ottawa.html

https://www.j2ski.com/american_ski_resorts/Airports/Toronto_Pearson.html

Tremblant, Mont St Anne and maybe Sutton are the only one's with much of an international profile.

Better choice might be to look at what pass networks you can get into for trips west or down to US - Epic, Ikon or Mtn Collective or Indy pass e.g. if you're going to fancy a trip out to Whistler then Epic becomes the logical choice which might then correspond to an Ottawa base etc.

Other intel - If you become a Leafs fan everyone else in Canada hates you whereas I con't think the Sens are that despised.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you don't plan on flying out west much then definitely Ottawa. Plenty of snow sure slopes nearby. Bigger than the nearest ones to Toronto but/and generally colder.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends on your work arrangement.

If you get lots of holidays to go away for days, you would do well to ski in Alberta & British Columbia. In that case, Toronto has a slight advantage, it has more flights and also a bit shorter in flight time.

But if you're more likely to be doing weekend skiing locally, Ottawa has some small mountains nearby, whilst Toronto and surrounding area is flat as a pancake.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks a million for the replies. It looks like I will be teaching about 4 days a week and will have the normal holidays associated with 3rd level. Heading to the west would definitely be something I'd hope to do, but as a once off I think realistically. I'd be hoping to get in plenty of weekend or 3 day trips, so that feedback regarding Ottawa being a better option was exactly what I was looking for. Is the border crossing for a foreign passport holder (Irish) straightforward if I wanted to go to Vermont for a few weekends?

Thanks again for all advice.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gar, Couple of pals worked in Ottawa (lived in Hull - no really) for a couple of years back in the 90s. They spent many a weekend honing their skiing skills at Tremblant.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Grew up in Toronto and spent quite a bit of time in Ottawa. As a city Ottawa is nicer but very cold during the winter. As noted previously ski resorts outside Ottawa have marginally more altitude but there are a larger number of resorts outside Toronto. While ski resorts are small by European standards they’re still good enough to keep yourself occupied but expect to be crowded (20 minutes plus) during weekends regardless of where you base yourself. While living in Toronto occasionally did a long weekend out to Tremblant and local resorts (7 hour drive from what I remember). If you live north of Toronto and commute in then you’ll be closer to the resorts. One thing to factor into your decision is climate change. Resorts in Southern Ontario maybe more susceptible than those in Quebec.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The general rule of thumb is the cities get better as you move East from Toronto. Quebec City is simply glorious and you can ski near by too
That said, nothing like the skiing in the west of Canada.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy