Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Remote working in Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
I’m remote working in the U.K. at the minute and looking to move the home office for the winter. I’m thinking somewhere like Meribel because of the size of the ski area. It’d be hard to get tired of doing the same runs there! There’s also other activities like a 25m pool too.
Just had a couple of quick questions if anyone can help please:
- What’s the best website to find more long term flat rentals? I’ve tried Airbnb and HomeAway, but the owners are saying short term only when I contact them.
- Is the broadband pretty fast and stable? I‘d be be using MS Teams a lot.
- Is there good remote working or season working community there?
I think that’s it, but will post if I can think of anymore.
Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
give AMS rentals a try, most of their flats are higher end and have broadband.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Sdutch, Have a look around the forum -- there have two or three similar threads in the past couple of weeks...

Oh -- and Welcome
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sdutch wrote:
Hi all,
I’m remote working in the U.K. at the minute and looking to move the home office for the winter. I’m thinking somewhere like Meribel because of the size of the ski area. It’d be hard to get tired of doing the same runs there! There’s also other activities like a 25m pool too.
Just had a couple of quick questions if anyone can help please:
- What’s the best website to find more long term flat rentals? I’ve tried Airbnb and HomeAway, but the owners are saying short term only when I contact them.
- Is the broadband pretty fast and stable? I‘d be be using MS Teams a lot.
- Is there good remote working or season working community there?
I think that’s it, but will post if I can think of anymore.
Cheers!

No idea for Meribel but Verbier/Le Châble has a lot of Brits doing this. Facebook Verbier accommodation page is a good place to look
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd echo @BobInCH re the Verbier Satellites. Out block of owners has already had a couple of enquiries from the managing Immobilier asking whether anyone is interested in a season rental. There's usually one of these in any season but this is early and usually, the enquiry comes to an individual apartment owner, rather than a broadcast.

Traditionally, the rate here would probably be about CHF 10-11'000 (£8,700-£9,500) for a seasonal rental, - that would be from early December through to the end of the ski season after Easter. This'd be for a 68m² 2 Bed apartment, central heating+Hot water incl., 25MBps wired Broadband and cable TV incl UK channels. plus underground parking. But no one is being forthcoming on the rates - and discounts - being demanded from potential clients this year. This is for the La Tzoumaz Satellite and for continuous, exclusive use i.e. no 'owner's weeks' when you'd have to decamp.

As a tip, consider what an apartment rental owner needs to accrue in order to 'wash their face' re underlying costs. For the above, that would be about CHF 6'500 (£5,600) which is about six weeks rental. But with the agency cut, that goes up to more like 8-10 weeks rental. The logic being that if you can better the rentals from the 'guaranteed' 6 school holiday weeks then it will become cost-effective to take up a season rental.

Two factors are unknown, of course. First (in your favour as a client) is that the 'guaranteed' weeks aren't at all guaranteed in a Covid crisis. Conversely, as has happened over the summer, a lot of local Swiss/French may opt to staycation ski and take up the slack (or some of it) lost from bookings from Germany, UK and Benelux.

My other piece of advice is to choose a location where there's something other than just skiing within easy drive, just for a bit of variety and for Weekends when the place is drenched in school holiday visitors and/or you just want a change of scenery. Oh, and as mentioned elsewhere, double-check that there aren't too many major group excursions planned for your candidate destination: we 'lost' a week this year to the 400 French Medical Students who descended on the place in what is usually a very quiet, off-peak week.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 21-09-20 13:41; edited 7 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just be aware around tax implications of working abroad if you're a PAYE UK tax payer working for a UK company. Worth speaking to your company about it if that is the situation.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
swskier wrote:
Just be aware around tax implications of working abroad if you're a PAYE UK tax payer working for a UK company. Worth speaking to your company about it if that is the situation.

I wonder whether it is better to not ask, as the answer may not be positive?

The only proviso is the company I work for wants to know where I am based if WFH (which is off the cards at the moment anyway) so if I decamped to a ski resort for a few months I'd have to tell them - it is for insurance purposes they say but things may be very different for a UK company.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
swskier wrote:

The only proviso is the company I work for wants to know where I am based if WFH (which is off the cards at the moment anyway) so if I decamped to a ski resort for a few months I'd have to tell them - it is for insurance purposes they say but things may be very different for a UK company.

I'm aware of one large UK employer that has banned all staff from working overseas even on a temporary basis, due to the potential tax and regulatory issues. The employer is concerned that particularly post Brexit, even one employee "working" in France could open up the floodgates for France to determine that the entire profits of that employees division should be taxed in France.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was wondering 'How would anyone know?' - this when I recalled we had an employee who commuted to/from Sydney (sic) for 9 months before he was found out. Obvs not every day, but he was 'shuttling' between the two after hooking up with an Australian girl who couldn't move to the UK. He got away with it for so long because a. his UK location was fairly remote, b. there were still phases where he could come into work next day if something came up unexpectedly c. it was a tech company that embraced WFH early on and d. he left his mobile on and in the UK then picked-up messages remotely.

In practical terms (as opposed to legality and tax), I suppose a major problem is that you can't leave the UK without having your passport scanned. So the Home Office knows you're not in the country any more, even if you Eurotunnel and drive, and your passport isn't scanned by the French/Swiss. I wonder if we'll see a Channel migrant reversal? People from the UK trying to get across to France without their passport being recorded at Eurotunnel/Ferry ....... although they'd then have the problem of getting back: I assume that if you're scanned by GB Immigration at Calais Eurotunnel/Ports and there's no record of your having left the UK, someone is going to want an explanation ...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:

There is the possibility that someone may not be able to access systems remotely, if their employer has good security.
It should generate an instant flag that person is logging in from a non uk base.

We have policies that do not allow you to take a mobile device abroad. Despite end users signing agreements for a mobile device (more to cover the company for misuse!), lots still take a work mobile phone away with them & then wonder why it gets locked.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you do manage to spoof the systems to let you work offshore unnoticed, you could take the next logical step :

https://www.theregister.com/2013/01/16/developer_oursources_job_china/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We did a season in Brides les Bains and rented through Live the Season. Brides has a 30ish min commute on the bubble to Meribel but you get a lot more for your money and the living is a lot easier.

I’m not sure I could live that near to temptation AND actually work but if you can make the most of it!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof wrote:
swskier wrote:

Apparently here (Austria) there is a BIG difference between working from home and teleworking - in that WFH actually has to be from home, whereas teleworking can be from anyway. Lots of eg insurance implications, but apparently it seems teleworking is better for both employer and employee.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Many thanks for all the pointers everyone!

From the reading I've done on HMRC, I should be fine for a few months. Brexit might be an issue, but there's a few months' grace with the French government on that too from what I've seen.

Appreciate the AMS rentals recommend, @skimottaret. Just looking at that now!

Cheers @LaForet, I'd not thought of it from the landlord's perspective. Definitely makes more sense for them to do the season rather than the pay monthly type situation I'm after.

Thanks too for the tip on Brides les Bains @Wi11iam! I'd not considered it because of the distance from the slopes, but the bubble lift sounds ideal. I'll see what flats are available.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Sdutch, We're looking at Brides Les Bains too for the same reasons......I'll be wfh and like the idea of a short 'commute' on days off to the slopes and possibly during flextime. We're booking with Live the Season but also looked at https://www.seloger.com/ and https://www.leboncoin.fr/ both of which have private apartments advertised. Also worth looking at this group on Facebook - Property for sale or rent in Les 3 Vallees - a number of apartments in Meribel / Bozel and others - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1243498865782377.

Do let us know if you end up in Brides - always good to have people to potentially ski with sometimes Smile
ski holidays
Just because a place in France says it has broadband don’t assume it’ll be fast enough for videoconferencing without checking first. The download speed might be ok, but you could end up with under 1mb/s upload which will have whoever you’re talking to moaning about it. A 4G hotspot might be faster in some places.
ski holidays
In my experience broadband in France is much better than broadband in the UK. In the mountains, if you have you're own dedicated line, which you will do by the sounds of it, you can still expect speeds that match, or likely exceed, London.

My girlfriend lived 5 minute's walk from the gherkin until 2018 and fibre only became available the year she moved out at a speed of about 40mbps. Now in Nice our home line gets 200mbps - more than my office in London used to get. In Courchevel we were getting 60mbps down and 5mbps up (no fibre but something called VDSL2). You'll be fine.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy