Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fischer Progressor F18 vs Fischer RC one 73

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I’ m skiing for 5-6 years around 2weeks/season.
My ski level is an “high intermediate-low advanced” , i’m 1.80 and 86kg

Until now I skied with some all mountain Atomic Nomad Blackeye , 81 in the middle , preety heavy, and I consider they don’t help too much considering i’m skiing 99% on piste.
I’m looking for some piste dedicated skis, allrounder, lighter and easier to use. 72-76 in the middle

My choice so far:

Fischer Progressor F18 (2018-2019)- 122-74-104@167 -very food value for money
Fischer RC One 73. - 2020 model- 121-73-103 @167 cm - multiple technologies, found good reviews but ...not that “excelent”

I receive other sugestions also:)
Budget ~500e
Thanks,
Adrian
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Adrianc, welcome to Snowheads. I can't help with those particular skis but I love Fischers, I'm on my 3rd pair. I currently have pro mtn 80ti which are a bit wider than you want to go. Before I had Progressor 800s from 2015. Fantastic skis, a rock unfortunately finished them. Probably similar to the F18. One thing I would say is that they were quite a heavy ski, not light at all.

Should you be going longer? I'm shorter and lighter but on 170 or so.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Claude, thanks a lot for your answear.
The Progressor F18 are the successor for the 800s , so the characteristics are similar, even though they tend to differ a bit from one release to another.
Any difference you noticed between the two of them? I suppose the 800’s should have handled easier on piste, considering it’s narrow at the middle.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have an 167 currently Smile I’m a bit afraid going longer, i thought about 170, but not more. maybe I should try to rent something longer and see the results:)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Adrianc, the 800s were a little quicker edge to edge.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dedicated piste skis can be very rewarding to ski as you learn to utilise them. However lighter and easier to use aren't tow words i would usually associate with a dedicated piste ski. I am not saying that lighter piste skis don't exist but there aren't huge numbers of them.

If you are not in a rush to change your skis i would perhaps suggest trying to test a phew different piste skis next time you are in resort. There are a number of skis available between those waist widths although a lot of them probably arn't really much lighter than what you are skiing. In that 70-76 range you tend to find a fair number on more performance based piste skis with tighter turn radiuses and much stiffer skis.

As for easier to use that depends on what you mean by easier to use. Your current skis fall into the all mountain category of skis and all mountain skis tend to be the easiest and most forgiving skis to ski. Going to a narrower piste ski you will find that it turns easier, is quicker from edge to edge but you will also find it a less forgiving and more demanding to ski.

If you haven't already check out out the Ski essentials frontside ski comparison.
http://youtube.com/v/NPHZctqtJ5g&t=11s
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@wardy89, thank you. That’s an elaborate answear!
By changing the all mountain to something dedicated to piste, i’m looking to improve my skills by taking advantage of the piste and use a narrow ski which can help to progress better then an allmountain. So my goal would be “progression” instead of looking for “forgivness”.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Adrianc, No problem.

If you are looking for progression and to improve your on piste skiing then a decent set of piste ski is a good option. You may find them a little bit of a handful initially but as your skills improve and you learn to harness them they can be good fun and rewarding. When i used to work in a ski resort i used to love first thing in the morning ripping down a freshly groomed run on my piste skis leaving behind a nice set of tracks. Very Happy

People get very hung up on ski length, (me included) It is quite a personal thing everyone has a different preference, for instance I used to ski with an instructor that was about 5'4 but bought all his skis in there longest available lengths. I am 168cm tall and an advanced skier and my piste skis are 163cm i could easily go longer but wouldn't want to go much shorter. IMO going to short is more of a problem than going to long. If you got a ski at 167 you might find it the right size for you now but once you have grown into it you might find it feels short. If you are going to try skis for you hight i would suggest something between 170-175 for a performance ski.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks a lot for your answear. I’m considering going to 170 but not more for the moment.
Any piste ski recommendations for my ski level?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Adrianc, Not particularly, i currently ski the head super shape Magnum as my piste ski, it's fairly stiff and heavy and has a very tight turn radius that doesn't suite everyone.

My suggestion is if can try a phew different skis and see what you like, bear reviews in mind but take them with a pinch of salt especially when they talk about who the ski is for.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Found a good deal for head supershape i magnum with ~390E. I saw them in store, they are indeed heavy. Seems the magnum is the most “forgiving” one out of the “supershape” series. Do you think it’s too much for me considering my experience? I know best scenario is to try a rented pair, but don’t have the opportunity now:)
Someone also told me about this magnum , he recomemded it to other high intermediate skiers and had a good feedback on it, don’t know what to say..i’m affraid i’ll get tired after 1h with them:)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That is a great price for the magnums. I use 170 titans and I am also shorter and a bit lighter than you.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes they are a fair amount of ski, but in fairness any performance based piste ski aimed at the top end of intermediate and up will be. As for getting tired it depends how you ski them, the weight isn't so much of an issue as you don't have to lift your feet off the ground all the time skiing. With good technique you can do anything from skidded intermediated turns to high performance carving tuns at high speed and they do like fast carving turns! On piste in all likelihood you would find them easier to tun than your wider skis.

Where they can become hard work is when you start taking them into variable terrain and skiing off piste on them!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi @Adrianc Smile Did you end up getting a pair of skis? If it is still relevant I have the Fischer Progressor F18. They can go pretty fast and they’re nice for carving and skiing on groomed piste. They excel at long distance carving on Autobahn piste (i.e. the Sella Ronda) and handle hard snow and ice very well.

I do, however, find the F18s to be somewhat limiting. They are completely out of their element on ungroomed natural snow and considering I live on the US West Coast where much of the skiing is ungroomed off-piste, I rarely use the skis. The F18 is a very nice ski and good quality; if I skied more often on-piste groomed trails I would use them more often.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy