Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What I hate about Skiing/Snowboarding

Poster: A snowHead
Whilst we're all yearning to get back on the pistes, I was wondering what everyone DIDN'T miss about the slopes.

Me:

Waking up in the morning.

The smell of croissants in the morning.

The smell of smoked meats in the morning (or any other time for that matter)

Snowboarders who have a coffee morning just over the crest of a dip.

Having to get up before you go to bed to get the flight to the middle of nowhere.

The 3-hour transfer from the middle of nowhere to the resort.

I'm sure I have more...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spending weeks stressing, pointlessly, about the weather and snow cover.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Clomping down steep steps in boots to a smelly toilet, where a harridan demands money despite your already having spent restaurant prices for a cafeteria meal.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Annual remortgaging! Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Faffers. Especially those who choose to faff just having dismounted a chairlift, closely followed by those who choose to faff just before getting onto a chairlift. The first often follows the second.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 12-03-21 9:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pretty much the only thing is people who think they are better skiers than they are and pass too close and too fast.
Nothing else I can think of.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski poles.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marodo2712 wrote:
Whilst we're all yearning to get back on the pistes, I was wondering what everyone DIDN'T miss about the slopes.

Me:

Waking up in the morning.

The smell of croissants in the morning.

The smell of smoked meats in the morning (or any other time for that matter)

Snowboarders who have a coffee morning just over the crest of a dip.

Having to get up before you go to bed to get the flight to the middle of nowhere.

The 3-hour transfer from the middle of nowhere to the resort.

I'm sure I have more...

Erm, what's wrong with the smell of croissants and smoked meats?

The thing I hate is the few minutes between walking into the boot room and walking out of it again. For some reason, putting on your boots is always knackering. The following 7 hours of skiing is fine, but the boot putting on. Yuck.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Getting overheated in the boot room before going skiing.
Realising as I walk out to the piste that my ski pass/wallet/sunglasses/whatever is still in the chalet.
Waiting for people to do up their ski boots after every blasted lift - Just buy a pair of boots that fit!
Feeling car sick on the windy roads up/down the mountain
The sound of a snowboarder behind you as he/she scrapes all the snow off the mountain.
White-outs
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

@Timmycb5, I like my apres-ski, and I generally don't eat breakfast anyway, so, to get up feeling 'emotional' then being forced to eat breakfast, the last thing I need is challenging food smells. I generally stuff food in my mouth until I get to the point where I might well see it again, then I steal a ham sandwich and a banana for eating on the chair.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stupid o'clock flights followed by waiting at the airport for the bus.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Getting overheated in the boot room before going skiing.

@foxtrotzulu, By the time I get to the top I'm usually utterly knackered, which is why I hate waking up in the morning, I know what's coming - but the minute those skis start sliding, all is forgotten.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Waking up in the morning earlier than I do to go to work to catch an early morning flight then again all week to get kids to ski school. To say nothing about getting kids fed , dressed including all bits of gear needed, out the door, onto the first lift to get to class.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Having to shed 4 layers in a roasting cafe , having fallen for the "layer up under a shell" con.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Standing behind someone in the lift queue who waits at the gate for his/her mate to catch up and blocking me from getting on the chair that just left with one person on it Evil or Very Mad
latest report
1. The stupid rule that you can't wear your ski boots around the hotel and so TO breakfast... Would be so much easier to bend an empty stomach to pull them on than a freshly stuffed one Very Happy

2. I also agree with bootroom overheating. Look, this is a room used at the start and end of the skiing day by people dressed in artic clothing. Have it unheated, then just switch the boot heaters on overnight!

3. Forgetting to put the suncream in your pocket/backpack on day 1 so getting burnt.
ski holidays
marodo2712 wrote:
Quote:

@Timmycb5, I like my apres-ski, and I generally don't eat breakfast anyway, so, to get up feeling 'emotional' then being forced to eat breakfast, the last thing I need is challenging food smells. I generally stuff food in my mouth until I get to the point where I might well see it again, then I steal a ham sandwich and a banana for eating on the chair.

Ha! If I'm in a catered chalet breakfast is one of my favourite parts. Triple breakfast for me too usually. Bacon and eggs followed by porridge followed by pastries Laughing
snow conditions
When I really think about it, bad snow conditions and bad weather....that's about it.

Right now I'd happily pay hundreds of pounds to get up early, spend hours on a plane/bus, getting stupidly hot in the boot room jamming my feet into boots, remember something in the room and have to clomp up the stairs, spend 30 minutes in a lift queue and wait 10 minutes for a faffer, all if it meant that I got to slide down a piste for a bit
latest report
Not being able to ski more often, all the above is a minor blip and can be dealt with Eh oh!

But I do get annoyed at the boarders lunch thing, idiots flying back on to the piste without any care for anyone else, anyone with a Bluetooth speaker in a backpack playing their music.

Can’t wait to get annoyed again Very Happy
snow report
Trying to sleep at altitude.

Overheated bedrooms with no control on the radiator, so you have to sleep with the balcony doors open.

Getting out of breath on the high peaks after walking short distances.

Proper whiteouts.

Quote:

Can’t wait to get annoyed again

a big +1 to that!!
snow report
any kind of lift where your feet are on the ground
snow conditions
Quote:

1. The stupid rule that you can't wear your ski boots around the hotel and so TO breakfast... Would be so much easier to bend an empty stomach to pull them on than a freshly stuffed one Very Happy

2. I also agree with bootroom overheating. Look, this is a room used at the start and end of the skiing day by people dressed in artic clothing. Have it unheated, then just switch the boot heaters on overnight!

This
latest report
Empty seats when there's a long lift queue.

As for the rest... why is everyone putting their jacket on to walk around indoors? It's the last thing I put on.
snow report
A propensity of veal
ski holidays
Boarders lunch thing Puzzled My people are naturally quite adept at tray handling.
ski holidays
I used to hate flat light until I bought a pair of Oakley High Pink Prism goggles; they sorted that problem.

Now the only thing I really dislike about skiing, is corduroy pistes first thing in the morning. I know, I know, I'm weird. Puzzled Give me a really chopped up/moguled piste in the afternoon any day. I've not encountered ice yet, so that's why it's not on the list.
ski holidays
Awdbugga wrote:
I used to hate flat light until I bought a pair of Oakley High Pink Prism goggles; they sorted that problem.

Now the only thing I really dislike about skiing, is corduroy pistes first thing in the morning. I know, I know, I'm weird. Puzzled Give me a really chopped up/moguled piste in the afternoon any day. I've not encountered ice yet, so that's why it's not on the list.

I'm one of those tw@s with magnetic changeable lenses. Literally takes seconds. Makes a huge difference with changing light conditions.
ski holidays
@Timmycb5, I wear the High Pinks in all conditions, even on bright sunny days. Work fine with my eyes. Cool Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Unpacking the car on arrival - as usually millions of steps between apartment and car park and the mad rush to set up, make beds, get passes etc. Thankfully is all worthwhile when I can sit down with a glass of wine.

Packing up usually easier as downhill to car and will have less stuff - food we bought in valley or taken with us having been consumed.

My absolute least favourite bit - drive from tunnel home and you can no longer kid yourself you're on holiday.
ski holidays
@Awdbugga, They look pretty cool. My wife would love the flight deck ones. That's her birthday present sorted!
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
mad rush to set up, make beds, get passes etc.

I used to HATE the scrum in the ski hire shop to get your equipment on Saturday afternoon. Massive queues, tired kids, etc.

One year we arrived so late the shop had shut, so we got up and went to the shop for 9am on the Sunday morning and it was deserted. We were straight in and fully kitted out in 20 mins. Never been back to get equipment on Saturday since!
ski holidays
Deliberately not putting kit on to prevent overheating in supernova temperature appartments and boot rooms etc. To then be accused of faffing by the people you have been waiting to get their arrises in gear all morning......

(To be fair my motto is "I faff therefore I am")
snow report
People that want to ski all day without even a coffee break.
People that want to ski past the mammoth restaurant when they know it does great chocolate. Happy

Also that bit of the PV bar that overhangs. You know,,,,, the one you crack your head off every year when getting up off a bar stool.
latest report
@GlasgowCyclops, There is the problem, right there. If you've had enough to drink, you slowly slide off the bar stool onto the floor, thus avoiding cracking your head. Solution- drink more Bob. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Awdbugga, Ahh the voice or reason Happy

PaulC1984 did that one year and woke up in the PV boot room at 4am. He thought he had been arrested and put in jail. He also did 106km/h non skitrax then next morning but that was holding his phone with the DT's
latest report
Taking ski boots off for the last time of the season and facing the reality that it's no more snow and skiing for another 200+ days

Getting home after last time of taking ski boots for the last time of the season and seeing forecast of 0.5m snow due tomorrow in resort. rolling eyes
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:
I'm one of those tw@s with magnetic changeable lenses. Literally takes seconds. Makes a huge difference with changing light conditions.

Changable google lenses, magnetic or otherwise are the worst invention ever to grace skiing!

Previously I only had 1 lens. Sometimes it was correct for the conditions, sometimes it wasn't - but either way it was what it was and there was nothing I could do about it.

Now I have a lens that works well in bright conditions and one that works well in poor light - so now I have the joy of knowing that the correct lens for this afternoon's conditions is...generally the one back in the apartment, having desided it was an "X" day and not wanting to risk my "Y" lens getting crushed in my backpack Sad
snow conditions
@Timmycb5, thankfully we now all have our own kit, so avoid the ski shop drama, but yes that was a nightmare
snow report
The anxious feeling I get at the top of a slope i think I can’t handle (I’m usually fine but always assume it’ll go wrong. Exhausting).

The annual boot wrangle as I’m never comfy in boots. Weird feet.

People who ski too close to short cut.
snow report
The smell of my thermals after day 30

Getting covered in mud every time I go near my truck
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy