Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva to val Thorens on a budget

Poster: A snowHead
Geneva to val Thorens public buses?
I'm sure this topic has been discussed before but I'm new to the forum.
Is there a cheaper way to get to val Thorens from Geneva Airport? Currently cheapest we have found is £80 return. 4 of us Travelling on Sat 3rd Feb, returning 10th Feb.
Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rent a car?

Train to Moutiers, then cab?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rent a car - will work out a lot cheaper - just make sure you specify winter tyres and chains
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It might not be a lot cheaper - and you could find parking expensive, too. Going part of the way (to Moutiers?) by train might be cheaper.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
£80 return sounds pretty good to me (is that Altibus?). Car hire should be a bit cheaper, but not much when you factor in petrol, parking, tolls.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Car hire wont be cheaper than £80 pp! I've just hired a car from Geneva (Swiss side) and all in it cost me £530 for 5 days! Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Car rental - £180 for the week via rentalcars.com (French side) - £322 on the Swiss side. Add on some tolls, parking and possibly a winter pack and you should still be quids in.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@foxtrotzulu - It depends on what excess cover and support you want as well. I paid £150 additional to have no excess and breakdown cover. Also if there is 4, presumably adults, with 4 suitcase's and maybe ski equipment, you have to pay extra for a bigger car.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did a lot of research into the same journey for the exact same dates. Checked loads of public transport options and couldn't find anything cheaper than coach return. Back in August cheapest was Ben's Bus.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Roscoe,

£150 to cover car hire excess for a week jeepers! Next time have a look at www.carhireexcess.com before you go.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Roscoe wrote:
@foxtrotzulu - It depends on what excess cover and support you want as well. I paid £150 additional to have no excess and breakdown cover..

Excess reduction cover can be efficiently bought as an annual policy direct from an insurer rather than paying the exorbitant rental car company per day charges.

What extra cover did you need/get?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ster

Booked with avis and selected their 'Vehicle cover plus' which includes the roadside assistance plus, and also added snow chains. I didn't want to take any chances in the mountains with the snow the alps is have(ing) this winter.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Used AutoEurope and booked 3 months before travel, £180 all in with winter tyres and chains on Swiss side. Skoda Octavia and go through Annecy to save on tolls .
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Stephens50,
£80 each return is a good price. No faffing at GVA collecting hire car at the start and end of the holiday when returning the car, no worries about insurance, no issues and costs about parking the car in Val Thorens, finding petrol near Geneva airport, Val Thorens is the highest ski resort village in Europe and can be a challenging drive if bad weather.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I hired in December from Geneva. Holiday Autos, via Quidco cash back web site - 5 days Skoda Octavia Estate was £200, including snowchains - and taking account of £15 cashback.

(I also paid £50 in advance for an annual excess cover policy).

Also, it is not necessary to pay for Val T parking. You can park for free in Les Menuires (at La Masse ski lift) & ski back to Val T. Then, at the end of your trip, ski back to collect the car. (Downhill all the way - no lift pass required). It adds 10 minutes driving each way to your trip but will save you about 70 quid! wink

However, even with free parking I think you may struggle to get car hire, fuel and tolls for under £300. Rental prices seem to go up in February - especially as you are leaving it relatively late to book.

The £80 coach transfer sounds like your best bet. No hassle and a couple of drinks on your flight without worrying about driving. Very Happy
ski holidays
You could try a Brompton for the cheap option. Ive cycled to val thorens from annecy a few time in the summer. The climb from moutiers should keep you warm. you can even put luggage on a brompton. they have most options so i imagine you could ask for winter tyres.
latest report
Upsidedown wrote:
Used AutoEurope and booked 3 months before travel, £180 all in with winter tyres and chains on Swiss side. Skoda Octavia and go through Annecy to save on tolls .

As an update was £19.94 for the fuel and tolls £13.48.
snow report
Hitch. I often pick up hitchhikers in the Alps. Good opportunity to practice my French. So far they've always been French. Funniest was an overweight and overdressed ESF instructor who had been parapenting and had walked a few miles (having landed miles from his intended touch down Laughing ) before I picked him up. Such a laugh to see such an uncool ESF guy!
ski holidays
Ben's Bus run from Geneva to Val Thorens for £88 Return https://www.bensbus.co.uk/ski-transfer/val-thorens-airport-transfers/
latest report
Necro spamming isn't seen to be good form generally. Presumably you cleared this with admin first?
snow conditions
This is where self-drive comes in. I daresay your 'cheap' flights are already booked so this may be academic. But it's always worth costing-out self-drive, just to be sure. Sometimes it can work out cheaper when you can ÷4 in one vehicle. Plus the convenience of just throwing everything in the car on departure and then you're away. Obviously, there are downsides too. Cost will comprise Channel Crossings, Tolls and Fuel, plus adding drivers to the insurance (you don't want just one person covered, in case they have an injury). And of course whether you cost-in some sort of mileage depreciation will be a big factor. If you don't have foreign breakdown cover then that needs adding as well. I've found it works well if one of the group has a company/business lease car that they don't mind adding miles to and are covered already for foreign driving and breakdown and can add drivers for little/no cost. It can often come down to the actual time lost driving that swings it in favour of flying, but if you can leave the night before and drive overnight, then you can end up in the resort much earlier than if you fly. Anyway, might be worth an hour of your time to check.
ski holidays
Quote:

I daresay your 'cheap' flights are already booked so this may be academic.

I thought I check this out by looking at an easyjet flight to Geneva. Last year these were coming in a between £15 and £25 each way. Unfortunately the web site crshed. I hope the easyjet pilots are better than their web site designers.

Back to the original question:

Cheepest is probably blablacar which I suspect would be a Covid risk,
Next is probably train to Moutier followed by local bus to VT
Then the coach companies
snow report
Altibus is the cheapest and will only take 60(ish) mins longer than a hire car. Well organised company who we've booked with again this year to travel to VT after using them for the first time last year (previously we'd always hired a car).
latest report
LaForet wrote:
I daresay your 'cheap' flights are already booked so this may be academic.

Almost certainly given this dates back to 2018! Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy