Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer skiing in Europe?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone. I'm an American that moved to UK this year with the hope of ticking off lots of the European resorts I've always dreamed of skiing. As you can imagine that plan didn't work out so well! Sorry to ask what is probably a stupid question but is skiing possible anywhere in Europe during the summer? If so, any recommendations and what should I expect? Right now I'm willing to take pretty much anything!

I'm a pretty solid skier, prefer off-piste and am happy touring if there is nothing good lift served if that makes a difference.

I don't have the time and money to go to the southern hemisphere, but could go to Georgia or central Asia if that is a better option?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry I was supposed to post this in the other thread. I will leave it here though as I'm solo and would be happy to find some partners Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is glacier skiing in France(Tignes/L2A), Austria(Hintertux) and Italy(Cervinia) and others but who knows when travel will be allowed again...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
European summer skiing has shrunk around -70% in the past 40 years, due to global boiling.

Glaciers are melting away, like icecubes.

Only a handful of decent summer resorts are left today, in Switzerland, Austria, Italy, France, and Norway.

Zermatt (Switzerland) is the last remaining station that can truly guarantee snow 365 days a year.

Hintertux (Austria) has the biggest and steepest summer area. This is the pick of the bunch -- snow permitting.

Keep in mind that the China death plague will limit international travel thru Europe until at least June, July, or even August.

Also, it was a very poor 2019-2020 winter in Europe, little snow, and a hot, sunny 2020 spring.

The European summer glaciers this year are going to be a mess. Most will probably be unskiable by July or August.

Fonna (Norway) is an exception. It has 50ft of snow on its glacier right now. Tiny resort, tho.

If you want ski touring offpiste, go to Chamonix in June (if laws permit).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Summer skiing in europe isnt worth it, lifts run for like 2/3 hours a day. Slushy by 11-12

I tend to head to landgraaf latest once a summer just for a fix.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They were skiing again in Zermatt, Val d'Isere and Les 2 Alpes last weekend Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
2 Alpes not open to the public until 27th. Just the french team training up there atm.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Claude B wrote:
2 Alpes not open to the public until 27th. Just the french team training up there atm.

I think it is open at the w/e, no?

What is the accommodation situation like? At ADH hotels have been shuttered for this summer, not worth opening. We've just had our Italian hotel cancelled (but have an alternative, if we can even go). In Rome 40 hotels out of 2000 are open, similar in Milan apparently. The Italian govt. has offered a lot less help than the UK (for example) and the sector is going to be devastated. In France (despite #fakenews on the TV news) reservations are thin on the ground for the summer.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Summer ski area in Saas Fee opening up as well on July 12th. Last year it was a bit ropey, but there's a lot of snow there now and its looking pretty good - it is predominantly occupied by racers though. If you like touring, there is plenty of snow right now above 2800 metres all across the Swiss alps, avalanche risk is fairly spicy though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@davidof, It was originally publicised as open but in fact wasn't open to the public. Some friends went down early on Saturday and were turned away.

Some hotels are opening, I'm not sure which. French team are in Chalet Mounier 4* which I think opened just for them. I saw people going into Airelles too.

Shame as it looks good up there this morning above the clouds.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
La Grave has been open too, but looks to be restricted in similar ways to L2A.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I drove through La Grave on Wednesday and fancied a beer after a hike. It was like a ghost town, no chance.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Claude B, I would guess that most of the people skiing there don't drink beer, there was a report here.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Same here in a normal summer. Skiers are mainly race training and many too young also. Snowpark attracts a different crowd and along with MTB guys keep the bars busy enough
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Claude B wrote:
@davidof, It was originally publicised as open but in fact wasn't open to the public.

thanks for clearing that up,
ski holidays
Nice video here, in french, of the french team training in the snow yesterday.

https://www.ledauphine.com/skichrono/2020/06/09/tessa-worley-et-l-equipe-de-france-rechaussent-aux-deux-alpes?fbclid=IwAR30RYdEmvR2_JhyzEN7sOUZqOJCGg2eYJog12ztWh3J8itEhK9AMYD__ZQ
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Hintertux (Austria) has the biggest and steepest summer area. This is the pick of the bunch -- snow permitting.

I was thinking of going to Hintertux to ski this Friday and Saturday but decided against it as it's too far for just two days (5.5 hrs each way in the car from here). Plus I have to be back in Vienna for father's day on Sunday.
Weather does look good for this weekend though after a bit of fresh snow this week and still sub zero temps up high. After this weekend it looks to be warming up.
https://www.bergfex.at/hintertux/wetter/berg/

The weather is already too warm further east at Kaprun / Kitzsteinhorn.
https://www.bergfex.at/sommer/kitzsteinhorn-kaprun/wetter/berg/
snow conditions
Apparently the best snow conditions on the glacier here for the time of year since 2013. It has rained heavily again today with a snowline just above 2000m so more again

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/auvergne-rhone-alpes/isere/isere-glacier-deux-alpes-niveau-record-enneigement-2013-1840884.html?fbclid=IwAR31CYD4AMHMQAgwVTLSh8QZ5jW2fTI5GITvG5eJABgle6gi8K89ZIJlxp8
latest report
20cm yesterday, total of 55cm this week.
snow conditions
I'm pretty late to this party with ski season just around the corner. However, I do have some insight into summer skiing around Europe.

I'll keep this basic, but my personal opinion is that if you are going on holiday for the sole purpose of skiing...then you should probably wait till winter. You're going to get unpredictable conditions and a very limited ski area. If, however, you want to go on a nice summer holiday to the mountains and maybe ski for a couple of days, then their are some places that might float your boat.

Hintertux is one of the most well known and one of the most reliable. However, the weather (especially visibility) can be sketchy at times. Also, you can literally expect to be skiing in a river at times.

Zermatt might be one of your best options. It's technically got the biggest area (although it seems to be shrinking) and it's got one of the nicest summer ski villages around. However, it's going to cost you an arm and a leg (and everything else!) This pretty much summarises Zermatt pretty well: https://snowsunsee.com/summer-skiing-in-zermatt/

Those are honestly most likely your best two choices. I would advise save your pennies and wait for December (if it's even open!!)
ski holidays
Danieljw12 wrote:
Summer skiing in europe isnt worth it, lifts run for like 2/3 hours a day. Slushy by 11-12

I couldn't disagree more. Skiing is skiing, so why not ski in July or August if you can? The lifts open at 7.30 am in Tignes in summer, so why not get in 3.5 to 4.5 hours of good skiing before it turns slushy? Anyone saying it isn't worth it isn't (IMHO) a keen skier. No problem with that. Each to their own. But, for those of us who love the sport, 3 or 4 hours on a glacier is a great way to scratch the itch of addiction Very Happy
snow report
JSnow3329 wrote:
Also, you can literally expect to be skiing in a river at times.

Literally incorrect. There aren't any summer skiing glaciers with rivers running down the pistes. rolling eyes
snow conditions
I'm with @JSnow3329 in saying that yeah, come to the Alps in summer and you'll have a great time hiking and mountain-biking and plain touring around (a convertible would be great). Then if you find yourself near Zermatt, perhaps go for a few days skiing. But if you want the full ski experience, come in the winter, outside the school holidays (be aware we have 'half term' breaks between New Year and Easter).
snow conditions
@Bergmeister, would suggest you look at the webcams of Hintertux right now. It's not pretty.
https://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/de/skifahren/skigebietsinfo/webcams/
ski holidays
I wrote about my summer experience this year:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4634075
snow conditions
Steilhang wrote:
@Bergmeister, would suggest you look at the webcams of Hintertux right now. It's not pretty.

Why's that? Puzzled

I wasn't saying that the pistes aren't mushy, slushy or watery. I was saying that it's incorrect to say that you will "literally be skiing in a river." rolling eyes
ski holidays
[quote="Bergmeister"]
Steilhang wrote:

I wasn't saying that the pistes aren't mushy, slushy or watery. I was saying that it's incorrect to say that you will "literally be skiing in a river." rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy