Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving down February half term 2021

Poster: A snowHead
What are your plans for February Half Term, how are they shaping up or are you waiting until closer to Christmas before committing to anything?
What are your timings day or night and chosen crossing method on the 12th or 13th and return 19th – 21st?
Where are you planning on staying on the journey south or are you driving straight through?
What is your chosen ski area and accommodation?

Myself (and hangers on) 0700 Eurotunnel Flexiplus 12th, IBIS Bourg-en-bresse overnight, a week at Le Panoramic in Flaine (hopefully the same apartment as this year), leaving early on the 20th driving straight through, Eurotunnel Flexiplus around 1700, home between 1900 and 2000 for overpriced craft beers and some sort of take away. Razz
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Took advantage of the easyjet desperation for cash at start of lockdown and got flights for £50 return
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We have kind of the same time line but stop over at Troyes as I love it.
Still waiting for an answer about what the plan is if there is a quarantine period on entering France, I have option to have full refund up until October so need to think hard.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yesterday was the first time in many years that we've driven the Alps back to home all in one go. And I'd have to say, it went much better than we expected. Perhaps it's the psychology of the return journey, plus gaining an hour, plus a very easy Eurotunnel experience (we turned up just over 2 hours early and got on the next train out at no extra charge). The weather was fine and of course, a summer drive is very different to a winter one. So I think that when we do our scheduled repeat of this in February, we'd seriously consider doing it in one go again. The only thing I'd say is that we rigorously kept the driver time down to no more than 2 hours before swapping. Self-drive also allowed us to reschedule the crossing back by 4 hours (albeit in the event, we only needed +2 hours compared to the original plan to stop overnight en route). Whether I'd do the outbound journey in one go, I'm still not sure.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We're off to La Tania (booked Feb this year before things kicked off). The place has amended their refund policy so if either UK or French gov say essential travel only, we're refunded. As above, a grey area was "UK gov says ok, French gov allows travel but imposes quarantine", and when we asked they offered a credit for future booking, which seems reasonable. Keeping a close eye on UK direction on social bubbles and group gatherings though !

Assuming all well, Eurotunnel out early on the 12th, down to a place in Brides-les-Bains, then a short hop Sat morning to be on the slopes nice and early. Hopefully Smile
Leaving mid-afternoon the following Sat, up to Troyes. Then back over on the Sunday, crossing lunchtime-ish.

In the summer, or Easter, we often do the journey "in one". Feb half-term we stagger it to avoid traffic (and maximise skiing! snowHead )
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Am I over-reacting??

We're doing the drive from Yorkshire to Ste Foy in March and I'm thinking Hull-Zeebrugge (Thursday), then a steady drive to Aix-Les-Bains (Friday), then an easy morning into Ste Foy (Sat am).

Friends on the same trip are leaving Friday after school, and doing the whole thing in one go.

I'm planning on a leisurely day going back, a night in Brugge and a Sunday evening ferry back to Hull.

Am I old?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Glad i stumbled across this post - just booked my Eurotunnel slots! Non-stop trip for me but I'm only London-Chatel which is super easy, compared starting from Yorkshire etc
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rwilson wrote:
Glad i stumbled across this post - just booked my Eurotunnel slots! Non-stop trip for me but I'm only London-Chatel which is super easy, compared starting from Yorkshire etc

I'm a little further South than you Just off the M3 Fleet, I'd prefer to do both in the 1 hit something for the future, might even do Austria in a year or two prefer the skiing and vibe to France. This will be our second time driving so still learning the ropes really.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 4-09-20 7:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try starting from Edinburgh! It's 1002 miles door to door
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NickYoung wrote:
Am I old?

I don't know, are you? Age is a mindset right wink Laughing

There are few different ways to skin this cat.

Seems that ferry versus road to Folkestone > Tunnel is a relatively expensive and slow way to get the other side of the channel and on the road to the Alps. On the flip side less tiring and more chilled. Pays your money and makes your choice I guess.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jonny996, Nothing upsets me more than all these folk saying how difficult / long / tiring the bit after Calais is!

996(!) miles for me.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Matt1959 wrote:
@Jonny996, Nothing upsets me more than all these folk saying how difficult / long / tiring the bit after Calais is!

996(!) miles for me.

I sympathise, 650 door to door for me home to Flaine.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LaForet wrote:
Whether I'd do the outbound journey in one go, I'm still not sure.
I always do the journey, both directions, in a single day, typically just one driver. I'm 90 minutes from the Eurotunnel at Folkstone, so it's a much shorter journey than some other people in this thread have. It's just over 12 hours door to door if all goes well. Outbound I leave the house at 5.45am, arrive in Les Arcs about 7pm. I prefer the drive to the Alps (anticipation, and all that), but the drive home is OK if I leave resort early enough to beat the traffic if departing on a Saturday.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We’ve done it all ways over the years, typically straight from school when the kids were younger, through tunnel then overnight in the Reims/Troyes area, complete journey Saturday.

Now we either do the same or more often whole thing in one hit, 2 hours to tunnel, 2 hours faff/transit, 8 hours drive to Chatel plus maybe 1.5hour stops. Total 13.5 hours. Leave home 0600, arrive Chatel 20.30 with the time difference.

On the way home the worst bit is tunnel to Colchester. I have been known to have to stop for a snooze at Chelmsford!

Sympathies for those far North. It really is a two day job from there (or a major endurance mission).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not half term, but driving to Val D in March. We've done it many times. Came back after one day this year due to lockdown, straight from Val to Calais. This time is different. We have swapped our eclass estate for an iPace electric. So myself and Mrs endo will be trundling down in that, doing a couple of stops as part of an extended holiday, and taking the skis for the others ( son and daughter in law) who will fly. Probably get Hull Zeebrugge as well as it's many years since we did that, and I'm only an hour from Hull.
ski holidays
We go to Folkestone premier inn £39 family room after leaving work Thursday, early tunnel Friday, down for an afternoon at Troyes
Then Saturday morning on to the alps. Makes it very exciting and I am not knackered Sunday. The return is usually Friday evening arriving early Saturday, few hours kip before picking up the dog.
snow report
Always do both trips in one go. London to Samoens and back. Having a car with radar cruise control makes the Autoroute a doddle. Stick 130kph, get the Spotify playlist on the B&O and play silly games with the kids like how many JLR products on 4 wheels would we spot on the road between Calais and Cluzes Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

Stick 130kph

unless the road is wet....
snow report
Yes, this is the reason why in recent years, we've always stopped-over on the way down after Troyes. Having a nice coupe of Champagne around 5pm we think 'We'd still be driving'; then in the swimming pool around 6pm we think 'We'd still be driving'; then relaxing after a swim wink we think 'We'd still be driving.'; then as we get to the end of our nice dinner and the rain is pelting down outside we think 'We'd still be driving'; and then reading in bed we think 'We'd still not be there yet'.......
snow conditions
If the easyjet flight cancellation thread is anything to go by, then there may be a lot more of us driving down
ski holidays
Quote:

Yes, this is the reason why in recent years, we've always stopped-over on the way down after Troyes. Having a nice coupe of Champagne around 5pm we think 'We'd still be driving'; then in the swimming pool around 6pm we think 'We'd still be driving'; then relaxing after a swim wink we think 'We'd still be driving.'; then as we get to the end of our nice dinner and the rain is pelting down outside we think 'We'd still be driving'; and then reading in bed we think 'We'd still not be there yet'.......

I get a similar feeling when stepping into my skis on the first morning and thinking If I'd stopped over night on the way I would be just getting into the car to face another day of driving.
snow conditions
@harrim51, Have you got a recommendation for accommodation in/around Troyes ??
ski holidays
albob wrote:
@harrim51, Have you got a recommendation for accommodation in/around Troyes ??

There are a couple of IBIS in the centre of Troyes ideal stop overs.
ski holidays
Thanks..
latest report
We use
https://troyes-centre.kyriad.com/fr-fr/

It’s a 10 minute walk to the centre, but has secured parking and does a reasonable breakfast. They also do adjoining rooms so it is easy with children.

This year we are trying Brit Hotel Comtes De Champagne Centre as we may well be staying in Troyes a couple of nights.
snow conditions
Again -- thanks
snow report
Jonny996 wrote:
If the easyjet flight cancellation thread is anything to go by, then there may be a lot more of us driving down

We always stop somewhere mid way and I’ve just booked Chalons-en-Champagne for the journey down. I had to do a few alterations as our normal stops were all booked up already. Return trip I’m dropping the family off in Lyons for the TGV before heading back to the apartment for a solo week with Snoworks. Next job is to book ferry with credit from this year’s cancellation.
snow report
@Johnny996 1002 miles...dry your eyes out mate try starting 30 miles north of Aberdeen! NehNeh Although agree with you 100% on getting there as quick as possible my priority is to ski. If i need to stop I want it as close to the hills as possible so i get a few runs in the next day!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We stop at Le val Moret, 5 mins off Jct.22 on the A5 just after Troyes. We like the swimming pool and restaurant (nice but not pretentious) and always go for a room with a balcony, so we can leave the door open a bit during the night. Parking is right outside the room, which is reassuring compared to some of the places we've stayed at, where we've had to leave the car 'round the corner from the hotel, or out of sight of the room.
ski holidays
We'll be doing the usual pick kids up from school 3.15pm (or whatever staggered plan from hell the school has concocted by then, assuming it's still open - which if it's not I guess we won't be going skiing!), 6pm tunnel, stop in Reims, drive down and arriving with masses all day Saturday, then on the way back, drive to Troyes-ish depending on where we end up actually going for HT and the last leg on Sunday morning/ early afternoon. Not actually got any accommodation booked yet!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy