Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots for teens

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This may sound like a really stupid question but I thought I’d ask anyway. As like many parents the unpredictable growth of teenagers feet is a challenge.
If a teen try’s on a set of boots that turn out to be a great fit with no pinching or heel lift & a real good feel around the calf but are a a size up, does it really matter that the toe box is further away from the end of their feet, considering you never really want your toes to be pressed up against the end.
Just a thought
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IMO. If you don't have endless money, you have 2 options ie. Hire until their feet stop growing; or buy a little big. Both are not ideal, but probably within the realms of acceptability.

A Good skier can ski well in boots a little big. Great fitting Boots won't make a poor skier into a much better one; Instruction will.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jonny996, As their foot grows, wouldn't that mean the whole part that fits perfectly would no longer do so, i.e. the heal and calf would be too tight? I realise a single size change in length isn't going to mean massive changes in those parameters, but still, the growth is not one-dimensional.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jonny996, depending on the size range you are looking at you could try the Roces or Roxa adjustable boot models (I think Full Tilt did some too?). They lengthen but don’t stretch in other directions so are a compromise but some have had good experiences with them.

Otherwise be prepared to chuck what you buy very quickly (well sell on into the 2nd market) or just keep renting until they stop growing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ster, he’s just grown out of his Roces & he never once complained about them, he got 4 years out of them.
Thing is he’s now 5’10 but still only size 6.5 feet, I’m sure he’s due a growth in the foot department.
The boots he tried are his mums salomans which are 26.5 & fit well but have some pink details, they are only 70 flex.
He’s also comfortable in my “spare”Scarpa RS which are 110 (I think) size 27.5
He’s going to get about 20+ days over 4 trips on the snow so I’m not really wanting to rent
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Jonny996, Have you thought about season rental? I would expect that St Gervais Ski Club will have a way of doing this.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jonny996, I really can't see a problem with that, just end clearance.

Maybe personal preference, but I'd not use a boot that touches the front of my toes when unloaded as in trying on. Always "thump" the heal when putting on to get that location fully around the ankle and then use straps to secure position comfortably, also always done our children's boots like that to set them for a comfortable days skiing with no obvious issues.

If lateral location is competent it seems ok to me, and you're only really talking about 10mm in mondo sizes difference.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jonny996,

I'd go to a hire shop, tell them that you might want to buy the boots at the end of the week and find something that fits. They'll probably do you a cheap deal - we did this once, rented for a week then paid less than one more week's rental to buy the boots. This works well provided your son has fairly normal feet. Tell your boy that you'll splash our on properly fitted new boots when you know his feet have stopped growing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Jonny996,

I have a 26.5 boot, and though it is more on the aggressive side as I like a precise fit, I am a size 9 (UK), so whilst they would probably be comfortable in that it is not in any way tight whilst standing still, I'm not sure someone with a size 6.5 foot would be able to ski properly in my 26.5 boots!
Another point to consider is the flex. My son is at the very aggressive end of aggressive skiers so may not be a perfect reference, but he sprouted a lot this year and got a lot stronger so has just switched from an 80 flex boot to a 120 - not sure how meaningful flex measurement is but you might want to also take into account that if a boot is too soft you can overflex it and that is not good either, so something else to consider. Incidentally his boots are a 27.5 and he has size 10 (UK) feet.

For 20+ days, perhaps time to go and see a good boot fitter and spend the money to get well fitting boots.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stuarth, thanks for reply but I have to say your US size 9 has to be different to a U.K. size 9, there is no way I’d fit into my wife’s 26.5 boots
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonny996 wrote:
@stuarth, thanks for reply but I have to say your US size 9 has to be different to a U.K. size 9, there is no way I’d fit into my wife’s 26.5 boots

That's why I said 9 (UK), I'm a 10 US, EU43 Madeye-Smiley
My boots are most definitely 26.5 - they are just about end of life at ~200 days so I would have probably noticed by now if I didn't fit in them! wink
My older comfy but quite spacey touring boots are a 27.5 I think - if I was buying an out and out touring boot I'd go up to 27.5, but for general skiing around, with a few punches (they even have a bit of extra padding added to the liner/tongue for strategic foot holding), 26.5 Nordica Striders works better for me and I can slackcountry-tour in them just fine too
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy