Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chel-ski

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.chel-ski.uk/
This looks remarkably unappealing. Confused
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It looks surprisingly useful.

I wonder what it feels like.

Dodgy branding and marketing mind you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did I miss what must be on of the most FAQ - how much does it cost?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
£40 per session but i can't see how long a session is rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That stuff has been around for a while now - there is another brand that has 2x 'slopes' at airkix in Basingstoke. Sikplex I think?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

i can't see how long a session is

I did manage to find that bit. One hour, of which about 30 minutes will be on the mat.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pam w, it's not on the FAQ bit it is on the book now page. £39.95 for an adult single session.
It seems to be a MaxTracks slope like Skiplex (which I'm off to later) - price is basically the same too. Stupid name though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From the picture it looks like a one floor drop - say 2m - and perhaps 5m long, so understandable why they only allow 3 people at once.

If you ski faster than the mat speed you will run off the bottom; too slow and you will be carried off the top Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ecureuil, pitch and speed are adjustable - v. Shallow to pretty damn steep and up to about 30mph I've been told. Theres a bar that stops you going off the front if you can't control your speed.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Theres a bar that stops you going off the front if you can't control your speed

I'm not sure how a pint of Stella is going to help in that situation?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This type of skiing has been around since the very late 80's early 90's. Though the matt size has increased a lot. Before it was two carpets side by side each just large enough for one skier, the speed was adjustable and also the incline angle.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Are they going to let French instructors teach on it?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Maybe a stupid name and dodgy marketing but its a name that will stick in my head so that makes it a great name.

Anyone been or used something like it? Any use for technique?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ster wrote:

Anyone been or used something like it? Any use for technique?

Yep, as I said, it is the same as Skiplex (which is where I am right now). It's good getting constant feedback from the instructor and watching yourself in the mirror (for reasons other than vanity). It's also harder than snow so tends to expose problems you might get away with on snow. Of course it only covers a subset of technique! Hard for an adult to get anywhere near carving (turn radius of skis vs size if the mat) although I've seen video of younsters doing it. Obviously it's also perfectly flat, unlike a mountain.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ermm....it's actually in Chelsea, so perhaps Chelski isn't such a silly name for it after all?

rolling eyes
latest report
That name has been slang for 10 years or more, good luck with copyright.
snow conditions
Chelski are doing gratis taster sessions this week, apparently just turn up between 12-2pm any day Monday to Friday for 15mins. Part of some national get on the snow month but you may have to make like a complete beginner to participate.

Might be worth to see what its like before parting with £40 for the full price session. I might pop down to try it not having been on carpet before and to see what they are like.
snow report
15 minutes for a complete begginer is okay as a taster. For an experienced skier I doubt it would be long enough to get a feel for it - you'd probably hate it just because you haven't given it enough of a chance.
snow report
@mikeycharlton, If we're splitting hairs its in Fulham.
snow conditions
@ster, if this is what you were talking about it might be worth mentioning that appears to just be for women aged 18+
https://twitter.com/chelski_SW6/status/782837594480664576
snow report
Tubaski wrote:
@ster, if this is what you were talking about it might be worth mentioning that appears to just be for women aged 18+
https://twitter.com/chelski_SW6/status/782837594480664576

No it was this promo I was thinking of, but I see its only on Monday 10th Oct.

http://www.goskigoboard.org.uk/activity-finder/activity/chel-ski-30-days-of-snowsport-events

When I rang to check the one I had seen was actually running, I think the person at Chelski confused this with the Twitter one Tubaski has found and told me it was running all this week. Strange as I'm sure I put on my most manly voice as well.

Thanks for the correction!
snow report
Went in the end so suppose I should post thoughts.

Centre was as per the dodo, unsurprisingly for the middle of a weekday. I was the only skier in evidence before, during and after the 15 minute session. And it was 15 minutes to the second despite no-one else there or waiting. Missed marketing opportunity to surprise and delight a potential client and promoter? Anyway the marketing experts can debate over that one.

Facilities were spick and span, all new and shiny. Odd changing facilitates though, seemed to be mixed so fine for just boots but as the slope is water based might be handy to have an area to change those wet keks/knickers that aren't the toilets. Especially for us carpet novices. But they maybe tucked away somewhere. Wasnt pointed out at all, another customer service aspect not great.

Experience was two fold, of the slope itself and the staff attending. Slope was quite bizarre never having been on it before. Easy to catch an edge and I found it hard to release the uphill ski. Its a small area when you are uncertain so can understand if the beginners (where I think they want to pack in 3 at a time) it could be 1. quite intimidating being close proximity of other wobblers, 2. their session could be broken up frequently by any one of the three falling over at any one time when they have to stop the carpet. Found myself snowploughing at the beginning, not a comfortable place for someone who thinks they are not too bad. But certainly improved over the 15 mins so I sort of could see where it could go.

As to the staff, reception were fine to good, s.t. the very odd confusion noted in earlier post. With the chap looking after me on the slope I was rather put off knowing what I know (mainly from this fine forum) but maybe not from a beginner point of view. Chap was BASI L1, I understand this was NOT a coaching session but I expected a little more to help me see what it could do. He seemed happy for me to be able to just get down rather than providing (or maybe not able to?) comments to help me and sell me on this product. Again a missed opportunity to convert me? I did notice at the start that he did not weigh or measure me in any regard re DINs (again see above as need to use their skis) or to ascertain a mutually agreed length. You need to fill in a form at the start but I dont think he was given it or refereed to it. I was OK with the length he choose (shorter than my norm) but meant to question the DINs as rather important if I didnt want to be crocked before the season started but didnt until the end. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed When I did ask he said not to worry as all their bindings are set at 7. At which point my metaphorical jaw dropped a little as I ski maybe 6 and these were for all customers including beginners but calmly asked if this was correct. He then checked the skis and said no, silly him, they are at 4. I did have a look myself after that to check as well and yes they were at 4.

Note that the staff do not get on the slope to demonstrate, just stay at the bottom and provide verbals. So this style may not suit everyone.

Any questions happy to answer.
ski holidays
Had a go on the slope today.

Quite good fun once you get used to it. It is rather narrow, so you need to link your turns pretty quickly.

For my £35 (usually £40, but I got a discount), I got 3x10 mins on the slope. So not particularly good value for money, but i'd probably give it another go in a year or so.
ski holidays
If you haven’t been, looks like you’ve missed you chance as it appears that Chelski is not re-opening after lockdown.

There is still Skieasy in Dukes Meadows, the phoenix of a defunct brand at the same location but an eye watering £55 for effectively 30mins (albeit 1 to 1) on the carpet.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy