Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes - where to stay + Apres + prices

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've always gone to Austria as we like the Apres but thinking of trying Tignes next year .But this time we are having are sons tag along ( age 18-21) .
So im looking at Le Lac and Val Claret . With the young lads coming Food/beer prices are a factor . Is one area more budget friendly than the other or pretty much the same ??
Ive seen loop bar in Le Lac mentioned a few times and the prices don't seem over the top for food and Melting pot in Val Caret but haven't seen to much on that place .
What are the typical prices for food and drinks, and pro's & con's of each area

thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@wasley, firstly the sking is fab. As for the two villages you mention, Lac and VC are about a mile apart and served by a shuttle bus 24 hours a day, hourly 00-06. On balance Lac is more family orientated, more hotel based and VC is more about smaller apartments, of course there are exceptions. VC is where most of the late night action, after 0100 is at, now Jack's has closed. If I had to generalise the clientele in VC us younger and it is where all the big events are based such as Uni trips, Snow Pride etc.

Prices are pretty similar in both, clubs being a bit pricier. Happy Hour beers are around 4-5 €. Food in both varies from budget to eyewatering, just check tje prices in the windows.

For yourself, some areas of VC do get noisy, location location location! If you post where you are thinking of stopping I can probably give an idea..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@wasley, I agree the skiing is great but your wallet will be in for a shock comparing prices on the hill with Austrian prices. Be warned!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Apres is better in Le Lac for me with marmot, moose and loop. Better food round there IMO as well. Prices will be the same in both areas which is - not cheap.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Loud and noisy is fine apart from when im in bed 12-1am ,so The quieter part of VC may suit us if there is a quieter part ?? Or old dads in Lac and sons in VC Laughing
What are the general food and beer prices non-happy hour

I know food and drink will be more expensive but flights ,car hire ,Accommodation, and ski hire seem a lot cheaper , so im hoping the over all price will be roughly the same
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@wasley, it's really the central area around the snow front and one or two buildings with clubs in the basement or the kebab house that you need to avoid.

A pint will be 6.50 - 8€ out of happy hour in most places, beware the ones with waiters. Grub is tricky but 15-18€ for a sit down burger and fries, 35 for a set menu of 3 basic courses. Up to a 100 if you push the boat out at the Kaya!

€70 for 6 days ski hire, a bargain if you are used to St A.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Forgot got to ask ,where to fly into ??? i was looking at Lyon as flight car hire seemed reasonable
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If we fly we fly into Geneva, solely based on the price and time of the flights from our airports. We book a bensbus seat for transfers. You'll have to pay for winterisation if you hire a car in France (snow tyres, chains etc) where as its standard in Swiss.

Le couloir is a winner in val claret, great happy hour prices, live music etc, it's always popular. Marmot arms is top for le lac, loop, box etc, moose is ok but I found it a bit rough. Either way, getting about on the bus is easy, and it's not far to walk which is a better option if you missed the bus and the next one isn't for another 45 mins.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd give le lavachet a look, 3 english run bars (Brasero, So Bar and Box) that have such a friendly and buzzy atmosphere. no matter where you're staying you're only a 2 minute walk from a piste that is serviced by two lifts (Chaudannes and Paquis) and it's fairly peaceful of a night time.

I lived there for a season last year and it's now my favourite place in the alps.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
To add to the list: Pizzas from about €12; hearty mountain fare like tartiflette from about €16; fondues from about €19. So while not as cheap as Austria, you don't have to spend an absolute fortune. There are also a couple of places in Val Claret that do decent three course set menu specials (eg French onion soup, salmon & chocolate mousse) for about €25 - eg P'tit Savoyarde.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@CharlesLH, sadly So Bar closed for good last week.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway,

Oh no! i knew they was having a closing party last week, i didn't know it was permanent Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the info
Normally we would of booked the flights at least by now but with out a Vaccine its not worth the risk ( Not health reasons ,more travel restrictions)

Has there been any news on social distancing on lifts etc
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@wasley, if you go to the Tignes Chalet Company website there is a load of detail on how summer skiing and biking happened, I think the assumption is winter will be similar.

http://www.thetigneschaletcompany.com/covid_policy_the_tignes_chalet_company.html
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy