Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SKI INSURANCE AND BAD AUSTRIAN EXPERIENCE

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads
I just wondering if anyone had ski insurance with SkiCover.com, I had a good package with them
, however at the start of lockdown, they told me my insurance did not cover anything Pandemic related, so our accommodation in Austria, was not covered, and the Austrian accomadation, offered us the same time next season, however they could not guarantee any extras fees, so they offered us a refund due to our unhappiness less 20% (€200), not happy with either the Ski Insurance or the hosts in Austria, can someone recommend insurance that covers for such events ?or is it the same all over ? As I heard some skiers had insurance ? with what cover is unknown. Many thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry. Try taking a deep breath and explaining slowly what your problem is?
TOs or accomodation owners owe you the money for the services they couldn't provide. Your Insurance is to cover you for unexpected things that happen to you. But COVID is now an expected thing so insurance is all a bit of a minefield for next winter. No one really knows if they have something cast iron.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Echo4, so your 'BAD AUSTRIAN EXPERIENCE' essentially means that the accommodation provider kept a non-refundable deposit? Think about it this way, most accommodation providers in Austrian ski towns are not part of large hotel chains but owned and run by individual families. The money they earn from tourists is their bread and butter. They can't effectively insure against no-shows, so charging a non-refundable deposit is one way to mitigate this. Many of them lost a month's worth of income in the spring when the pandemic kicked off. Which is a lot considering they only really have income for half of the year. Fortunately the summer season has been reasonably buoyant although it has brought another much smaller wave of infections.

Your losses should have been covered by insurance, but perhaps you didn't buy that wisely. Lesson learned hopefully.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You had paid €1000 and got back €800? That’s not too bad given the situation.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whether insurance covered Covid related cancellations was dependent upon the wording. Many policies had specific exclusions for pandemics, the insurance industry most recently got wise to this risk sometime back when SARS was a potentially worldwide risk and before that I think it was bird flu which first caused concern vis a vis a worldwide disease within the insurance industry. In short many many policies including annual policies which are still applicable do contain exclusions for worldwide pandemics and some dont. The other wording which is catching people out is around exclusions where the Government have advised against travel to certain places. Again cover will likely be denied if this applies although in some types of claim the insurer might accept a claim if the incident about which the claim arises has absolutely nothing to do with Covid for example an injury or illness while in a country against which travel has been advised against but where the claim is not caused by, exacerbated nor the costs enhanced or exaggerated as a result of Covid. Insurance is a minefield, you need to read policy wordings very carefully and particularly where cover is relatively inexpensive or is included with a bundle of other products a in a packaged bank account. If the policy is cheap there is almost certainly a reason why.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all the opinons, @queenie pretty please, I understand the Austrians safe guarding against a no-show, however most training, schools have offered students a full refund as a good will gesture, and would have possibly led to further bookings, but now, definitely NOT, as for the insurance @FFIRMIN, It was a Ski.com ski policy and was not cheap, so I will be be very careful this season to read the size 4 type !! Little Angel
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queenie pretty please wrote:
...most accommodation providers in Austrian ski towns are not part of large hotel chains but owned and run by individual families. ...
...Your losses should have been covered by insurance, but perhaps you didn't buy that wisely. Lesson learned hopefully.
It's irrelevant morally or legally a company is big or small.
And in any case the people they're taking money from are likely individual holidaymakers, so that argument doesn't make sense.

I'm not sure you can sensibly insure for "the supplier has stolen my money", if you see what I mean.

It probably depends precisely on why the contract could not be fulfilled, the wording of any policy, and how it was sold.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Everybody, Im putting it behind me as a very valuable lesson learned !!!!!!!!!!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And why did you cancel? If the accommodation was still available but you decided not to go, they have a point. And most insurance policies carry an excess.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@philwig, so you have never booked something and paid a non-refundable deposit? Holidaymakers can buy travel insurance. My point was that accommodation providers cannot buy insurance against holidaymakers who fail to show, for whatever reason. For them it's just income down the drain whereas the holidaymaker can claim on their insurance assuming they bought a suitable policy.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

the holidaymaker can claim on their insurance

that all depends.... not, generally, if you just change your mind (that's why I asked). And not if the policy has an explicit exclusion, as it did in this case. And most policies will carry an excess.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy