Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When are skiers too old?

Poster: A snowHead
Well we've had boots and skis Laughing Keep going until you drop I believe. My neighbour here, not a local, still skis in his mid 80s, After having both hips replaced last year. All pistes plus off piste too, not just pootling about on blues. I aspire to that. Now 61 I'm skiing about 75 days a season. I'm ok, didn't start until my 40s. But I believe I'm not deteriorating too much wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I‘ve heard a few older skiers say they gave up when they didn’t have the physical strength anymore to get up after a fall.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Grand Mother inlaw hung up the boots a few years ago at 86. Before then she was skiing twice a season, granted she wasn't gunning it everywhere but she still enjoyed and skied well.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
About 3 or 4, at which point they should have enough strength to get a snowboard on edge Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Check out George, at 101 Madeye-Smiley

http://youtube.com/v/Tzkj_Nme6uE&feature=emb_logo
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hang11 wrote:
About 3 or 4, at which point they should have enough strength to get a snowboard on edge Very Happy

Most snowboarders never manage to get the thing on edge and spend an eternity drfting and sideslipping everywhere, making a right mess of things (yes I can hold a snowboard on edge)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

About 3 or 4, at which point they should have enough strength to get a snowboard on edge

Judging by the average age of snowboarders shouldn't that be 30 or 40? (Or is that even a bit on the young side?)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There was a ski instructor when I was in Andorra doing a course a few years ago, who was apparently in his mid 90s. He seemed to be doing OK!

My grandfather took up skiing at 70 and skied regularly between 70-80.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I remember about 6 years ago we were skiing and this family skied past us while we were taking a few photos on the side of the piste. 2 of the group had full heads of grey hair and were wearing sunglasses so we could see that they were not spring chickens, we skied down behind them the whole way just interested in how old they might be and how well they were skiing. When we got to the bottom the OH just casually started talking to them in his best french, eventually he asked how old these 2 were. At first they looked at bit insulted, but one said 84 the other said 85, we were so impressed and said to them we both hope to ski like they do when we're that age. They were very happy after that.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My Godfather was retired by a liftie in Meribel at the age of 86.
He had been going there for decades and knew everybody.

On that day the liftie saw him struggling to get on the chairlift, he stopped the lift came out of his hut and said
"Arthur, today you come and sit in my station with me and we can talk like old friends because skiing is now finished for you, it's not safe now"

He did it with such delicacy and care, and much to the relief of Arthur's family who had been trying to get him to stop for a while as he was getting very frail.
For the next few days he was a Guest of various lifties in the base lifts and he had a lovely time.

Personally speaking:
A. I am going to live forever.
B. I am going to ski forever.
In the unlikely(!) event that those are not true I have been going on training courses (I am late 50s) with the clear intention of becoming the best technical skier I can be (still a lot of room for improvement!) because my observation is that the only really old people you see skiing have, or had, fabulous technique, even at low/moderate speed and difficulty, their skiing is very low physical input, almost effortless, skis that just seem to kiss the snow.

Most (even all?) of us here can still "muscle" our way out of a bad turn or tricky spot but when you are old that muscle strength is largely gone and it will be pure technique and judgement that keeps you skiing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bones, that's fun.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jacques in Val D'Isere skis every day and lunches in the Rosee Blaniche. His normal route is up the Grand Motte, morning coffee at Cocorico, where the staff call him Le President and then into La Daille for a cirque and a glass of vino. In early Dec when it was quiet we passed him a couple of 100 metres above the Vanoise lower station. I had just collected my coffee in Cocos, the only customer, when he walked in.

Jacques was 93 in March!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A Ski Mojo keeps me going in my 8th decade.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When you can’t bend down to do your own boots up.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@achilles, and very well too Very Happy
latest report
My mother was skiing well last season @ 78, my father stopped 3 years ago @ 76.
ski holidays
What a wonderful story, @rungsp. snowHead
snow report
Idris wrote:
hang11 wrote:

Most snowboarders never manage to get the thing on edge and spend an eternity drfting and sideslipping everywhere, making a right mess of things (yes I can hold a snowboard on edge)

C'mon, you know that's true of most Chx fat ski skiers too Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
A few years ago I met up with some definite retirees. The bloke from one couple was an ex-Major in the Greenjackets and other was ex-Brigadier in the Commandos. After a couple of days, I asked the ex-Brigadier's wife how old she was.

I was very politely told to mind my own business. It wasn't mentioned again until the last day of the holiday when she told us she was 82. Her husband was a couple of years younger.

They gave up four years later after the lady got a bronchial infection which caused them to "retire their boots".

Both have since sadly passed away. RIP Barbara and Dennis
ski holidays
midgetbiker wrote:
Idris wrote:
hang11 wrote:

C'mon, you know that's true of most Chx fat ski skiers too Laughing Laughing

aka @midgetbiker's customer base wink
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/9lpJSB9pd-s
ski holidays
I'm always in awe of the guy who rides a Skwal here in his late 70s. I've only ever seen one other. Like a monoski but with the bindings inline, the only way of stopping seems to be falling sideways. Up here a lot, he lives down in Bourg d'Oisans, I've had have several chats with him.
snow report
Over the age of about 7
latest report
rungsp wrote:
My Godfather was retired by a liftie in Meribel at the age of 86.
He had been going there for decades and knew everybody.

On that day the liftie saw him struggling to get on the chairlift, he stopped the lift came out of his hut and said
"Arthur, today you come and sit in my station with me and we can talk like old friends because skiing is now finished for you, it's not safe now"

He did it with such delicacy and care, and much to the relief of Arthur's family who had been trying to get him to stop for a while as he was getting very frail.
For the next few days he was a Guest of various lifties in the base lifts and he had a lovely time.

Personally speaking:
A. I am going to live forever.
B. I am going to ski forever.
In the unlikely(!) event that those are not true I have been going on training courses (I am late 50s) with the clear intention of becoming the best technical skier I can be (still a lot of room for improvement!) because my observation is that the only really old people you see skiing have, or had, fabulous technique, even at low/moderate speed and difficulty, their skiing is very low physical input, almost effortless, skis that just seem to kiss the snow.

Most (even all?) of us here can still "muscle" our way out of a bad turn or tricky spot but when you are old that muscle strength is largely gone and it will be pure technique and judgement that keeps you skiing.

Lovely story and I agree the old skiers carry on because they are very good, I'm 60 in a few days and intend to still improve a fair bit.
ski holidays
Claude B wrote:
I'm always in awe of the guy who rides a Skwal here in his late 70s. I've only ever seen one other. Like a monoski but with the bindings inline, the only way of stopping seems to be falling sideways. Up here a lot, he lives down in Bourg d'Oisans, I've had have several chats with him.

I seem to remember masque riding one of those at an EISB.
latest report
Oh @Claude B ... you've beaten me to it!
I was going to make this my trilogy finale .. winding up with "When are Skiers too old?" ...
Anyway I'll forgive you for pi55ing on my parade .. you have a good thread going here.

I'll be 71 by the next time I go skiing (if I'm lucky)
until now I've felt like a teenager who can grow hair on his chin .. but dear God, I'm feeling my age now ..
I find myself looking at those ads in the pages at the back of the TV Times and Sunday supplements for Stena Stair Lifts and baths with doors.

I am not thinking of stopping for a long time yet, I hope.
Its my "raison s'etre", its the only thing I'm half way good at. I cant run, I can't walk very far.
I have to get really tipsy to start dancing, then I suffer, not from a hang over but a hurty ankle.
But when I get my ankle jammed into a ski boot it takes the pressure right off, and I stand a bit straighter.
Its something to look forward to.
It makes me dream of blue skies on sunny days and cuddly chalet matrons.
Without skiing I don't think I'd last too long at all.
snow report
@mooney058, great vid thanks for that
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
Claude B wrote:

I seem to remember masque riding one of those at an EOSB.

Actually just to correct you, Masque wasn't riding a Skwal, he was riding a Teleboard. The difference being that a Skwal has alpine bindings inline and is used with (obviously) alpine ski boots which are locked down, whereas a Teleboard uses Telemark bindings and Telemark boots where the heel is free. Madeye-Smiley Here's a video of people using a Teleboard:
http://youtube.com/v/in1c6bB4b5Mhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleboard
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rungsp wrote:
I have been going on training courses (I am late 50s) with the clear intention of becoming the best technical skier I can be (still a lot of room for improvement!) because my observation is that the only really old people you see skiing have, or had, fabulous technique, even at low/moderate speed and difficulty, their skiing is very low physical input, almost effortless, skis that just seem to kiss the snow.

It's my belief that this is true.
My only problem is I have a week of lessons then 51 weeks to forget them.
snow conditions
Wow, a monoboard for tele skiers, would love to try THAT Cool
ski holidays
I taught a bloke to ski who was 81, he went on a ski holiday, while he only pottered up and down a few small blue runs he enjoyed himself. He even got himself in a local newspaper. He gave up as his friends gave him such a hard time..

Also gave some tips to an ex Army Officer in his late 80's

As long as I can walk I'll ski
snow report
That's really touching, rungsp, but also really worrying. What if you don't want to sit in the pisteur's cabin? You want to ski. Maybe, like driving, when it's pointed out to you, kindly, that you're a liability, you have to accept it's time to stop.
snow conditions
Peter S wrote:
Wow, a monoboard for tele skiers, would love to try THAT Cool

Say please and I'll bring mine to a bash Cool (the learning curve is a bit of a backwards overhang Shocked )
latest report
Don't know when I'll be too old to ski but I was too old when I started; should have done it much sooner.
latest report
I was thinking of even hoping to learn to skate,
but my misses says "Oh no you don't!"

I've got to comply, or she wont push me around in the wheelchair.
ski holidays
A bit of a weird thread this. During our ski club's recent winter race league (dry slope slalom skiing) the oldest competitor was 69, the youngest 5. I am pleased to anounce that it wasn't until the racers got to 9 that they were able to beat the more mature skiers. Personaly, I find that provided I can walk I can ski. Perhaps the thread should be "When are walkers too old"
snow report
The decline for racers starts around 28yo.

The decline for leisure skiers begins around 35yo.

By 50yo, the end is in sight.

At 70yo, it is over for most everyone.

Ski to the max.

Before it is too late.
latest report
Totally disagree Whitegold. I am 71 and Mr mogulski will be 74 next month. We didn't start till in our 40s and have skied at least 3 weeks every winter, since retirement usually around 6 weeks each year. Still ski blacks and bumps. We both got free ski passes in Andorra this winter and fully hope to get our 3V free passes (currently at 75 but they keep increasing the age) as we have had more than 40 trips there and think we are due some pay-back! If you keep skiing regularly there is no reason to stop unless you develop a medical condition that prevents it. Just keep active all year.
latest report
Also disagree with whitegold - started at 50, now 62 & have skied things like the rond; cosmiques; lots of grade 1 scottish gullies & still hope to keep improving. If you are reasonably fit & no injury problems a lot is in your head!!
snow report
I started at 55 and I'm now 71 still go to ski school though. This year my instructor was 76 ,still beating the youngsters down the slopes until he remembered his class couldn't keep up.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy