Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wheels & Winter Tyres

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to purchase a set of winter tyres and wheels. They are for a Nissan Pathfinder 2014 (260/55/1Cool. Couple or three questions:

1. Suggestions from snowHead as from whence to acquire them;
2. Recommendations for make;
3. Whether anyone has any experience of a Pathfinder in snow (have abiding bad experiences of Grand Cherokee 4x4 on winter tyres, in snow mode and worse than Bambi...)

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
addendum - got an emoji instead of a number 8 tyre sixe (260/55/1Cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
arrggh!!! 260/55/18
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just get them from my local place, he needs a day to get them in. I think mine are Dunlops. They help but there is a limit to what they can do. If it’s snowing heavily, you really need to put chains on. Pain that that is.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Snowsartre, Seems to be the 8 followed by a bracket. I saw this on another thread.

Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
or /Cool or -Cool but not 12345678) so must be a charcter +Cool or a single number + 8 then ) eg eighteen bracket is 1Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
here you go, a little lunchtime watching...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA_nKXy9lI0eDsgSQhszSax3izawVOT0L
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Bob, thanks for that rabbit hole! What have we learned? That winter tyres are better than summer tyres in the snow and premium tyres are better than budget! Who knew??!!

Any answers to the original questions gratefully received wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Had Pirrelli Scorpion winters on my wife's jeep. worked well, seemed to grip all the time, did about 2500 miles without any problems or wories.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Had Pirrelli Scorpion winters on my wife's jeep. worked well, seemed to grip all the time, did about 2500 miles without any problems or worries, seemed to have bags of grip, steering was good.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
1. mytyres
2. Nokian tyres
3. Sorry no
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
1. Blackcircles.com (or co.uk?)
2. Continental and Nokian, would go back to Conti next time as I’m finding the nokians faster to wear and slightly less good in slush/ wet conditions
3. No idea
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Snowsartre,
Are you sure they are the best size winter tyres for your SUV? Winter tyres are generally narrower than summer tyres. Narrower winter tyres will not only perform better but are often cheaper.

To find the right winter tyres you will need the full spec of the vehicle (engine size, fuel type etc) as the tyre is selected for each specific model in the range.

e.g. A quick search for 2014 Nissan Pathfinder winter tyres came up with 255/65 R17. (4.0 litre engine)

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 25-08-20 9:51; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My Nissan Qashqai came with 19 inch wheels and relatively low profile tyres. I was advised against putting winter tyres on the 19 inch wheels, but instead to purchase 17 inch wheels and higher profile winter tyres, in order to keep the overall circumference the same.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DB, you are entirely correct, I wrote the numbers down inaccurately - 255/60/18 are current tyre size (2.5 diesel). Have read online that narrower winter tyres are more effective as penetrate snow better. Not sure now what size I would need would be happy to put 17 inch on so will have another google to check circumference
ski holidays
@Austrian Seagull, was there a website you used to work that out?
latest report
Quick search has produced this if of interest to others - hope I would not need to change brakes etc!
https://www.oponeo.co.uk/blog/replacement-tyres-advantages-and-disadvantages-of-changing-wheel-sizes
snow report
@Snowsartre,

This might help
https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/

… but it's not just about circumference. Speed rating, weight of vehicle, tyre clearance (for brakes), wheel bolt pattern etc. are also important factors as is permission from your car insurance company to mount a different tyre size.

Here in Austria the size of the permitted winter/summer tyres and wheels are printed on the vehicle documents. In most cases there is at least one summer tyre/wheel size and one winter tyre wheel/size. As the UK doesn't do it this way it can be that your UK insurnace company refuses to let you install a winter tyre size that is standard fit for the vehicle in central Europe. If I were you I would ask Nissan to confirm the winter tyre size in writing and show this your insurnace company.

Looks like you may be able to mount 235/70/R16 for the 2.5 diesel 174 BHP (128 kW) model. There is also a 190 BHP/140 kW 2.5 diesel and the tyres may be different for this model.
https://www.reifentiefpreis.de/komplettrad/stahl/winter/reifen/?ModelID=17131

I'd go for premium winter tyres e.g.

Goodyear UltraGrip + SUV
Pirelli Scorpion Winter
Continental WinterContact TS 850 P

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 25-08-20 12:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Quote:

as is permission from your car insurance company to mount a different tyre size.

You are ok as long as the wheel/tyre size combo is an option on your vehicle from the manufacturer - then you're ok and don't have to declare it to the insurance. Check your owners manual for guidance. Set of OEM 17" on eBay will probably cost you about £150 for 4 with rubber. Thats what we did for our Golf - its got 19" on for standard, just picked up 4 OEM 17"s online with winter rubber on for about £120 when we got it.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
You are ok as long as the wheel/tyre size combo is an option on your vehicle from the manufacturer

In the UK, central Europe or the world? I've heard of cases on here where the UK user manual doesn't list a particular winter tyre size for a UK Vehicle although the same car is fitted with them as winter tyres as standard in central europe..

IME a lot of eBay tyres are old.
https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-age

Once winter tyre gets to around 5 years old the rubber hardens and the performance drops off even though there is a lot of tread still left on the tyre. The chance of failure is also increased with older tyres.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 25-08-20 12:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
This is a very good place to check your sizes

https://www.wheel-size.com/
snow conditions
@DB, The wheel/tyre size is the key - the type of tyre is irrelevant. If you are putting OEM wheels on your car, in a size that were issued as an option during it manufacture run, you do not have to inform the insurer. So for @Snowsartre, Pathfinder or Navarra wheels are fine, and commonly available in 16, 17 and 18" which are common tyre sizes so will be a lot cheaper and with a wider selection of makers.

Non-OEM wheels, well, yes you probably should tell your insurer, particularly if they were not an option size during its production.

Condition of the rubber is, of course, important and 2nd hand is always 'Buyer Beware' but thats no different to anything, so if the tyres have been stored poorly they will degrade quicker - check for cracking around the tread blocks, discolouration or shiny patches, and distortion in the sidewall.
latest report
@Richard_Sideways,
Back in 2014 I doubt any cars were fitted with the thinner winter tyres in the UK although the exact same car would be fitted with winter tyres if purchased during winter here in Austria. This means because of a "computer says no" type answer from UK insurnace companies, some UK car owners have been pushed to buy winter tyres the same size as the OEM summer tyres. The larger tyre sizes generally perform less well in winter and are generally more expensive. I'm trying to give @Snowsartre advice to get him/her a better tool for the job at a lower price. Are you saying if only one tyre size was OEM (in the UK) then this is the tyre size that should be fitted even though in Europe a smaller OEM tyre was fitted to the exact same vehicle? If so then we disagree.
snow report
I'm sure there are people out there running about on old winter tyres that they picked up via Ebay or similar that were fitted to a lesser spec'ed/lighter model of the same car.

e.g. Audi A4 owner sees advert for "Audi A4 winter tyres and wheels" on eBay, checks that the circumference is within the stated tolerances and fits them himself.
A tyre that was designed for the speed and weight of an Audi A4 with a much lighter 1.6 petrol engine is now on a car with a super heavy and faster 3.0 diesel engine. Although the tyres look really good, no cracks or sidewall damage, with lots of tread on them they are over 5 years old. It's a train wreck waiting to happen as the tyre can't take the speed and weight of the car they are now fitted to. It's not just about the tyre circumference.
ski holidays
I've just drafted and redrafted the response about 3 times to all this about off-sets, kerb weights, pressure differentials and urgh - know what?

F*ck it

Fly.
latest report
Please don't go, we still have time to discuss ski helmets, skiing in France vs Austria and BREXIT. wink

In my teen days I once had a tyre fitted that was under the speed limit of the car and it blew out on the motorway. Lucky that it was in the early hours of the morning when no other cars were around. If it had happened in the winter holiday traffic on the way down to the alps there would have been carnage.

Another point, sometimes when you fit the same size winter tyre as the summer tyre then there isn't enough room for snow chains.
ski holidays
Snowsartre wrote:
@Austrian Seagull, was there a website you used to work that out?

The Nissan dealer recommended the rim and tyre sizes in my case.

Although I referenced the circumference, it is easier just to calculate the overall external diameter of the tyre. The winter tyre should have the same diameter as the summer tyre. You can do the calculation yourself:

The tire size designation is consisted of the following elements:

[Tire Width]/[Aspect Ratio]R[Rim Diameter]

For example tire size 195/65R15 has:

Tire Width = 195 mm

Aspect Ratio = 65%

Aspect Ratio is the sidewall height as a percentage of the section width. For example, sidewall height of this tire will be 195 x 0.65 = 126.75 mm

Tire type = R - Radial-ply structure

Rim Diameter = 15 inches

So, for this tyre, the external diameter is twice the sidewall height, i.e. 25.35cm ( 2 x 126.75mm), plus the rim diameter of 38.1cm (15 x 2.54) = 63.45cm.

For the record, I’ve got Pirelli Scorpion Winter. We informed the insurance company of the change in wheel size and they had no issues. Neither did they want to be informed every time we have the wheels swapped over.
ski holidays
@Snowsartre, like a few folk have said go for a smaller wheel and tyre combo. IMO your most economic option at the mo is buy a set of Navara 17" alloys off Ebay and fit the 255/65/17 that @DB quoted above. There are loads of Navara alloys floating about as Navaras are getting scrapped for fun due to chassis rot.

I've been using Vredestein Wintrac4 Xtremes on a Navara for years, though I've ended up using the slightly fatter and taller 265/65/17 as they didn't make a 255 when I first started over a decade ago.

If you are keeping a Pathfinder in the alps for any length of time then treat the chassis as they are subject to the chassis rot too (though less likely to fall in half as they have a full body, instead of the Navara cab/tub combo).

If you're not sorted in a while drop me a PM as I plan to get rid of the Navara and only 5 wheels and tyres will go with it, whereas I'm pretty sure I have over a dozen wheels and even more tyres!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just seen question3 in the OP:

Pretty good apparently. The Navara is fine and the Pathy should be better as it is a bit cleverer and has more balanced weight distribution (ie some at the rear even when empty). I know at least one guide in Chx who uses a Pathfinder and loves it. Only edge the Navara has is better ground clearance if it ever gets epic!

Good tyres are the decider though.
snow report
Snowsartre wrote:
@DB, you are entirely correct, I wrote the numbers down inaccurately - 255/60/18 are current tyre size (2.5 diesel). Have read online that narrower winter tyres are more effective as penetrate snow better. Not sure now what size I would need would be happy to put 17 inch on so will have another google to check circumference

You can run a narrower size on same rims if you can match the load and speed rating ( the"for example" 101V) on your existing tyres.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Above link demonstrates that you can run 235 / 65 / 18 at exactly the same circumference as existing size to give narrower footprint on existing rims for winter work.
latest report
Or this comparison site , I've put the sizes in to read on the link if it works Smile

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=255-60r18-235-65r18
snow conditions
Used to be a user on here called Tyreman, who worked for https://www.tyremen.co.uk/ and was very helpful on this stuff. I got a set of wheels & tyres from them for a Nissan Qashqai and they were really good to deal with. I've stopped buying winter tyres now as I've found all-season tyres to be pretty effective on snow. Vredstein Quatrac worked very well on my Skoda Kodiaq.
latest report
@Snowsartre, I've now bought another vehicle for the alpine work, so I'm actively going to be getting rid of the Navara. I will have a good few spare 17" alloys to get rid of if you're interested.

One set of 5 will be shod with Vredestein winters (though 3 of the 5 are well past there best for snow use). I seriously think I have at least 14 of these wheels (maybe a couple more) and only 4 or 5 need to go with the truck.

PM me.
ski holidays
@midgetbiker, sorry no idea how to private message!
ski holidays
@Snowsartre, Look in ebay. You might well pick up a reasonable priced set of winter tyres and wheels. Switch them summer and winter in the U.K. and your additional tyre cost will be zero. Buy a decent jack and change them all over yourself and you save on that cost too. Sell the rims when you come to sell the car and you’ll ge5 back almost whaT you paid. It’s worked for me a couple of times although a Pathfinder is a slightly less common vehicle. Fingers crossed it shares the same spec Of rims and lugs as something else, e.g. a Toyota.
snow report
Snowsartre wrote:
@midgetbiker, sorry no idea how to private message!

Snowsartre, click on "Send/Read Messages" at the top right hand corner of this page.
snow conditions
@Snowsartre, I'll PM you and then the way to reply 'should' be fairly obvious.

@foxtrotzulu, Unfortunately the stud pattern (6) on the Nissan is unusual and so not shared across other manufacturers (or sfaik other models within Nissan other than Navara/Pathfinder. Fortunately there has always been a good few Navara/Pathfinder alloys out there for 3 reasons:
1-Limited choice of alloys at purchase led to peeps buying the trucks, removing the Nissan alloys and fitting aftermarkets (bigger for bling, smaller for A/T).
2-warranty recall on early Nav alloys leading to dealers being stocked with 1000's of replacements (I got 10no under warranty) not all of which were needed, so dealers flogged them off on Ebay etc (I bought a couple off Ebay from a dealer for less than used when a couple got pinched out of my truck bed).
3-Now loads are available as these have been on vehicles since 2005 and plenty of trucks have gone to Nissan heaven since then. Some in accidents, some expiring of natural causes after quarter of a million miles, but in the last 4 or 5 years many being bought back by Nissan and scrapped as they suffer from early corrosion on cheap steel chassis.
latest report
@midgetbiker, thanks have pinged a pm reply. Definition the market for set of 18 inch alloys for pathfinder
snow conditions
@Snowsartre, search for Mal McNeil on Facebook. He is selling a set of 18" Nav/Pathy wheels with new looking Michelin Cross Climates on. £750. Just saw them on the "Nissan Navara and Pathfinder Spare Parts Group UK".
ski holidays
Can't see a mountain snowflake symbol on them though. Don't know a lot about these cross climate tyres tbh, as I prefer to run different sets season dependant.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy