Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

via lattea

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Folks familiar with the area might be able to help me with a few questions, as it is 20 years or more since we were there. In the hope that we can get skiing in January, my Husband two teenage daughters and I hope to go to sesteriere. The reason we chose this area is it is close enough to Turin Airport. We all ski fairly well, and like to get a bit of practice off piste. We ski all day long, and love long runs, but not blue roads. I have one daughter who would rather do a steep icy black that take a narrow cat track flat road. Anyway the area seems big enough for a week, but I am finding it hard to find out what the lift pass covers, . Can you get an area lift pass that allows skiing on the french and Italian side, or is it like it used to be only one day in france when you buy a six day pass?. Can you ski to montgeneve? Is there much area where we can go off piste?
Any information you have on the area would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The lift pass situation is complicated and looks like they have not set the pricing yet (at least on the viallattea site) - so its possible the arrangement may change, usually: -
- Can you get an area lift pass that allows skiing on the french and Italian side, or is it like it used to be only one day in france when you buy a six day pass?. Yes - there is/was a 6 day via late international pass (IRO €250), probably only worth it if you are going to cross the border 3 times (ie I wouldn't if I was paying x 4!). You can add extra days if needed IRO €25 per day

- Can you ski to montgeneve? yes - though you need to download on the gondola down to Cesana. I like the the intervening area above Cesana, but many people say its better taking the bus direct there (so you get a a good go at Montgenevre)

- Is there much area where we can go off piste? Yes, there are lots of options eg great trees above Sauze and Cesana, open areas above Sestriere, between MG and Claviere and at Lago Nero. Loads of stuff beside the pistes, so I've not hired a guide, but it would be worth it I think if you are looking to avoid the crowds / find challenge

- I've found these guys really useful for info and getting excited about the area / season starting: - https://www.facebook.com/sauzeonline
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@biddpyat, We have always stayed in Montgenevre and had the Monts de Lune pass which includes Montgenevre, Claviere and one day skiing in the rest of Milky Way. I think you can get a Galaxy pass that is unlimited for the whole milky way area plus a day in another resort eg. Serre Chevalier.

I haven't skied as far as Sestriere so can't give further advice on that. however I would definitely recommend Montgenevre/Claviere for the type of skiing you are looking for. Claviere is mainly reds but they are wide and not that steep. Montgenevre has some excellent reds and blues and a few blacks. Most of the slopes are wide. There is some good off piste in the Roche d'Aigle area. Your daughter would be best off avoiding the Baisse run as it has a narrow section. (it is one of the lesser known pistes at the edge of the ski area so most people probably never find it anyway). The green Suffin can also be easily avoided by taking Pharoah. I have teenage kids and Montgenevre is one of their favourites.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you both, so far it sounds all good. @Wildsmith, good information on the lift pass situation.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The standard pass covers Sauze, Sansicario and Sestriere, with one day across to France and Claviere but the journey across on skis is very bitty and time consuming so you probably wouldnt do it more than that anyway. Last time we were there we booked onto the tour operator coach trip to Montg for the day and that was well worth the 20 odd euros to give us a full day there.
The sauzeonline you tube channel is very good if you watch through some of the past videos. There are some decent red runs. The Olympic run into Sansicario and Gran Pista sauze side are glorious if you like to go quickly.
I have been three times in the last few years (always Sauze side) and love it, only changing to visit different places. In fact for anyone tempted/ brave enough to take the plunge and book i saw a crazily cheap deal to Hotel Miravalle in Jan at around £470pp with Crystal. Stayed there a couple of years ago, storing skis at the slopes and walking up each day, and would say that is brilliant value (full board, with a voucher to use on the mountain for lunch, and wine with dinner, flights and transfers)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy