Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what to take driving

Poster: A snowHead
With the prospect of driving to the alps more likely this season what weird and wonderful stuff do you take with you that you wouldn't when you fly? ( i am not including necessities such as skis or safety items such as tyre chains). Only thing on my list extra is basic food which consist of a few bags of aberdeen butteries and a few cases of irn bru.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well for the drive itself I always take some talking books. Apart from that I take veg such brussel sprouts and parsnips and curry spices, but then again I usually empty the fridge going both ways.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bags of Haribo Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As empty a car as possible so it can be filled with wine and other European delights for the return journey!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Inboard, you won't need much room for your statutory litre of spirits and couple of bottles of wine Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@johnE, if you're surviving for the week on Parsnip and Sprout Curry for a week, I suspect you'll empty the car out too...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"A laminated packing list"
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@boredsurfin, and a photo of how you packed the car on the way out.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Yoda, all the more reason for one last trip this autumn
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Inboard, ah - that would be the "essential travel" then Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Your own loo roll and hand wipes.
We have a kettle that plugs in in the car and some instant type food hopefully not to be used.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thin crap gloves (marigolds) for fitting said chains so as to not sully your lovely skiing gloves or bare hands, and a piece of old cardboard to kneel on whilst doing so.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Richard_Sideways, Have you tried to get sprouts or parsnips in france or even gala masala?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
and a big black bag to put the chains in when you take them off, because they'll never go back in the dear little box when your hands are frozen.

If you're self catering, some pre-cooked meals, deep frozen and wrapped in bubble wrap (or the best ski jacket you won't be wearing to put snow chains on) will keep for days. A good kitchen knife (but don't gift it to the apartment owner when you leave). Small choc snack bars, if you have kids. Some dishwasher tablets (a whole box will be expensive in a resort shop), tea bags, kids favourite stuff. A few spices. Bits and pieces for cooking which will save you buying a whole pack of something and using hardly any of it. etc!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
WASHOUT wrote:
With the prospect of driving to the alps more likely this season what weird and wonderful stuff do you take with you that you wouldn't when you fly? ( i am not including necessities such as skis or safety items such as tyre chains). Only thing on my list extra is basic food which consist of a few bags of aberdeen butteries and a few cases of irn bru.

I learnt a lesson many years ago about leaving unattended pop in a vehicle in an outdoor resort parking in sustained sub zero over a week...
snow conditions
As @pam w, kitchen basics for the week and at least one pre-frozen meal to make things easier on arrival. We try and stop on the way down at a big supermarket for food for the week so leaving some space in the car for shopping is useful although didn't manage it last half term and sorted breakfast and evening meals for the week via the local very small Sherpa store although it wasn't particularly exciting.
ski holidays
Slow cooker is ideal for self catering, chuck in your ingredients in the morning and ready in the evening. Head torch for putting chains on whilst fingers are freezing in marigolds! Very Happy
ski holidays
Car fridge to keep your supplies nice and fresh - with a mains adaptor if your doing an overnight stay, car kettle and some ramen noodle pot meals (basically posh pot noodles) to eat at the stops.
latest report
Sharp objects and explosives. Just because you can.
ski holidays
A box of easy peel oranges
snow conditions
@WASHOUT, As little as possible, even less than you would take on a flight, only take stuff that you are happy to throw away at the end of the holiday leaving as much room as possible to bring back as much wine, cheese, tartes aux pommes and anything else that you fancy.
latest report
A teapot and my a metric feck ton of proper tea bags.
snow conditions
Home made blackberry whisky and raspberry vodka. Recipes can be provided on request. Toofy Grin
At least two frozen meals so cooking dinner is a breeze. Shepherd’s pie, bolognese mix, and a good beef and mushroom stew.
latest report
A telepeage doofer.
Red Bull or your favourite energy drink for the journey.
Enough fresh groceries for the first few days (in a car fridge, as above).
Small coffee machine.
snow report
@Tazz2bme, err... surely you mean proper loose tea and a strainer.
ski holidays
In terms of the vehicle:

Original V5C from DVLA; Car Insurer's original Certificate of Insurance; Insurer's Green Card; International Driving Permit (IDP); Crit'Air Certificate [windscreen]; télépéage Tag [windscreen]; Vignette [windscreen] if applicable; spare bulb set [mandatory]; breathalysers [I know, but just in case]; spare winter tyre; winter windscreen washer concentrate; head torch [to hand]; snow chains [to hand] already positioned/separated in bag for easy fitting; carpet piece to kneel on in snow [to hand]; boots for snow [to hand]; extendable snow brush for windscreen; ice scraper; windscreen cover; folding shovel [to hand]; warning triangleand flashing road light. [EDIT] Hi-vis Jackets for all [to hand] and 5L Petrol Can [OK on Eurotunnel].

COVID Forms

And if the requirement still applies at the time, completed French Interior Ministry Forms - An ATTESTATION DE DÉPLACEMENT VERS LA FRANCE MÉTROPOLITAINE and a DECLARATION SUR L’HONNEUR D’ABSENCE DE SYMPTOMES.. for each adult, 2xOutbound and 2xReturn plus a UK Visas & Administration Covid form and Q-Code if returning from a non-bridge location. I'm not certain, but each passenger may need their own Declaration but I think children are covered by the Attestation - worth checking.

Apps

And if they're still in use, you might as well download the French STOPCovid app and turn it on when you get onto French soil and ditto the SwissCovid App if you're going to CH. And the ViaMichelin travel app and MetéoFrance weather apps can be quite useful too. Worth knowing the postcode of any key places en route and of your destination for the ViaMichelin and weather

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 8-09-20 23:00; edited 11 times in total
snow conditions
“Cuddly toy, fondue set Good game good game, nice to play at home”

Hi vis jackets for all, driver needs to reach their one I think.
latest report
Quote:

At least two frozen meals so cooking dinner is a breeze. Shepherd’s pie, bolognese mix, and a good beef and mushroom stew.

Don't bother taking frozen meals, French supermarket ready meals are brilliant, Confit duck leg is my favourite. Their jars of bolognese sauce are lovely with about 17% meat content. A bag of 3 minute pasta and heat a jar of bolognese sauce gives a meal in less than 10 minutes without using a microwave.

Quote:

Red Bull or your favourite energy drink for the journey.

One year I knew I was tired before we even started so kept washing Pro-Plus tablets down with Red Bull on the drive. Did the journey in record time but then couldn't sleep for 48 hours. Never again.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If it's a diesel, a can of E-Z-Start to help you if it can't start after being parked in very cold conditions. Identify where the engine air intake is to spray it into if you need it.

A couple of European to UK power socket adaptors, plus a couple of 4 gang extensions to give you easy connections for chargers etc all in UK sockets Very Happy
snow report
Timc wrote:
so kept washing Pro-Plus tablets down with Red Bull on the drive. Did the journey in record time but then couldn't sleep for 48 hours. Never again.
You should have chased that lot down with some espresso and you'd have been fine.
snow report
If your driving then the biggest benefit is you get to take the dog
latest report
Fancy Dress
ski holidays
Can't believe you lot - A MAP. Maybe I'm old skool but can't beat spreading the map out and sense-checking the sat nav.
ski holidays
Rather than a binliner or similar for the used chains, (which will have snow/slush on them) take a washing up bowl or plastic bucket - when the slush melts it will be contained (I used to use a catering baked beans can, but the chains have got bulkier since then!). Otherwise LaForet's list looks like it's the result of many years experience.
In terms of EasyStart - if your diesel doesn't start first time in the UK in winter it'll struggle in the Alps - have the glow plugs checked.
Crit'air sticker - if, as most are likely to do, you buy it on line put the emailed paperwork with the car docs just in case the sticker doesn't arrive through the post.
ski holidays
What the heck is a Crit'air sticker all about? Not bought one of those before travelling through France.

Also really would be interested to know how many people genuinely take a spare winter tyre based on the thousands of Brits who travel by car each year. I can see the benefit but even if you pack sensibly it'll take up half a boot alternative is to lash it to the roof and revel in the wind noise and barn door effect.
ski holidays
Pruman wrote:
Can't believe you lot - A MAP. Maybe I'm old skool but can't beat spreading the map out and sense-checking the sat nav.

You don't require a map even if your nav fails just follow everyone else! Where's your sense of adventure.
snow report
ski3 wrote:
If it's a diesel, a can of E-Z-Start to help you if it can't start after being parked in very cold conditions. Identify where the engine air intake is to spray it into if you need it.

Very Happy

After having a car in which the diesel froze a couple of years ago I now use a winter additive whch goes in at every fill up and something that might get overlooked as it is a new (old) requirement aGREEN CARD from your insurer and the Crit air is not needed unless you are going to Paris, Lyon, Toulouse, Villeurbanne and Grenoble which is where you need to show them.. and check your battery ..it might be good on the UK but it might die in the cold ..mine did in January and a new battery costs at least doube in the resort snow tyres are mandatory in Germany if it is at all slippery ..the same in Austria
latest report
@James77,
I suspect that "spare winter tyre" really means "if you have winter tyres on the four road wheels. consider putting a winter tyre on the spare wheel". Most continental countries have slightly different tyre laws from us - the tyres on an axle must be identical - i.e. they must be the same pattern/size/etc.
snow report
@Nemisis,
Ah I see, sadly I do not have a full sized spare on either of my cars. They're a dying breed I thought, you either have a mobility kit or space saver. RRs have them, see them hanging low under the rear and they're often stolen too.
snow conditions
I always take a brush to clear snow off the car after heavy snowfall. It gets a lot more use than snow chains ever do, though that's probably because I have 4wd & winter tyres. Also a spade in case I need to dig out any snow. Other than that a packet of Haribo sour bears (more easily sourced in Germany). And then fill the car with Beer and Wine on the way back.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy