Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rotary Short Radius Turns

Poster: A snowHead
Saw this video and thought it would be of use and interest to those thinking about L1 and L2. Too many times I see people at that level overly focused on big edge angles and carving but lacking balance and rotary skills. Deb does an excellent job of explaining how and why rotary coupled with some pressure control is a great skill to possess. If you want to practice in a dome, dry slope or gentle terrain outside try working on making some of these turns.

http://youtube.com/v/_--sS-R68Eg&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR1jgoRFWvuBnjxG4IzK0hvvCB4U0S67anYskWC38pfPVOFhSpxDXplCo-8
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Love her channel. She's so enthusiastic
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The key for me, is the smooth transition - skis flat and parallel - and not trying to do much too quickly. Prolong it to get the feels and then gradually reduce it to a split second like she does v nicely. Needs good timing, coordination and balance.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AL9000, She was on the world cup for many seasons and I think was a Gold medalist in GS back in the day. Great touch with the skis and a thoughtful coach. She mainly teaches mini's and has some good content for coaching kids...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skimottaret, I remember somebody posted her vids before; she was with a couple of kids. Her explanation of powder skiing (bouncing) was very good.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Her balance and posture is perfect..
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got it on repeat, it's so beautiful!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Hurtle, does the twisting movement from the knee and lower leg at 1:53 look familiar to you from IOS warmups Smile

Rotary turns are very, very skillful as you need to be well balanced on the skis and the movements quite subtle but are a great start for mogul skiing. So many instructors going for their L2 fail their bumps strand and blame it on being not athletic enough/experienced enough/etc but the reality is usually a lack of rotary skills..
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@skimottaret, there are very few instructional videos that are a pleasure to watch, and that have detailed insight and analysis like that. Lovely skiing, great chat. Poetry.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It’s a good description of how the constant steering through the feet feels.
I’m struck how none of the technique she’s describing has really changed from the days of 2m skinny skis.
I really learned to ski like that then was wrestling with carving on old straight skis when the technology changed and made that easier.
It’s still fun to ski turns like that and I’ll do it a lot when the pistes are busy, the viz is poor, there are bumps.
I’m 50 and I would have thought that anyone my age or older who was a decent advanced skier by their early 20’s should be pretty proficient at short steered turns!
Although not as good as her!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skimottaret,
Quote:

does the twisting movement from the knee and lower leg at 1:53 look familiar to you from IOS warmups
but of course!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jedster, good point on straight skis and I would add the same for mogul skiing. Hasn't changed much and those that emphasise carving can be missing out some very useful tools in the toolbox. Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Deb Armstrong is one of my favourite go-to resources on Youtube.

I find her no-nonsense, clear and enthusiastic videos very useful. She has that effective and practical approach, that is often seen when being taught by someone with a racing background.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A bit strident for me. I felt like I'd left the loo seat up again....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How good would it be to have your kids in her ski club.
ski holidays
shep wrote:
A bit strident for me. I felt like I'd left the loo seat up again....

....Although it's being strident with Love, Enthusiasm and Knowledge, rather than Headmistress like bossiness.
latest report
@Old Fartbag, Absolutely, great content, just not my choice of delivery snowHead
ski holidays
@shep, I thought your typical "choice of delivery" was,

"Look. It's a powder day, I've got lines to shred*, that's the way down, see you at the bottom" ... non ?

* possibly not your normal choice of words
latest report
shep wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Absolutely, great content, just not my choice of delivery snowHead

Shep prefers whistles, right?
Come-by, come-by!
Who’s a good boy?
wink
snow report
uann, my dim recollection of when being coached favoured a softly spoken Scottish lilt, although for sure it's horses for courses. As for my own words, it's far more likely these days to be "you guys have fun in the pow, I'll be in Lil' Stash with miniShep" Laughing
latest report
@AL9000, That's where we went wrong Madeye-Smiley ! Perhaps it's not too late for the eurotest after all! Razz
snow report
This is so much nicer too look at than the robo style carving that seems to get taught to everyone. Makes the body look agile, supple, fluid - instead of .... well just plain ugly. I feel this is the marriage of old school and new school styles into something very useful and very nice to see. Very Happy
snow report
shep wrote:
@AL9000, That's where we went wrong Madeye-Smiley ! Perhaps it's not too late for the eurotest after all! Razz

It’s never too late for eurotest - piece of p*ss. It’s all technique. Any chimp can do it.

ski holidays
Ah but you can't teach an old Collie new tricks.... Blush
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy