Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemel to reopen mid July (Nope)

Poster: A snowHead
Good news from The SnowCentre, they are looking to re open mid July with a restricted slope capacity, no free style furniture and perfect snow. Only 1 or 2 hour passes will be sold and no pesky monthly pass holders clogging up the pomas Wink

main slope will be limited to less than half of its pre covid capacity and the poma lifts spaced out to ensure social distancing.

Be great to get back to doing something fun !

EDIT : dont get your hopes up, 23 june announcement quashes a July opening.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 24-06-20 9:24; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Did they turn the fridge off during the shutdown?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nope kept it cold and dark with the lights off
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret wrote:
Good news from The SnowCentre, they are looking to re open mid July with a restricted slope capacity, no free style furniture and perfect snow. Only 1 or 2 hour passes will be sold and no pesky monthly pass holders clogging up the pomas Wink

main slope will be limited to 60 people (down from 140) and the poma lifts spaced out to ensure social distancing.

Be great to get back to doing something fun !

The Poma lifts are already well spaced out 4 metres at least.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jellylegs wrote:
Did they turn the fridge off during the shutdown?

No, they kept it in reserve in case Boris needed one to hide in again. Wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret wrote:
nope kept it cold and dark with the lights off

Much like the British public with the Covid statistics
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How is that going to work with the lift queues? There isn't enough space to keep the distance
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oleski wrote:
How is that going to work with the lift queues? There isn't enough space to keep the distance

limit the amount of users on the slope.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski wrote:
Oleski wrote:

limit the amount of users on the slope.

Idk, with reduced lift capacity there will be a bottle neck even if 60 people max... Will have to wait and see I guess.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can't see that I'd be at much risk all wrapped up and all, really. I'd be more concerned about the changing area, although it's easy enough to change at one's car for example to reduce that risk.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They are going to put in all contactless payment and pass collection, one way system for changing and rentals and you exit the building out the side. Cafe will be very limited I believe self service drinks to start and they will stagger entry to the slope every 15 minutes for the 1 or 2 hour passes. I recon the lift queues will be low and easily manageable.

We (Inside Out Skiing) are invited to a test opening and will report back on how well it all works...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thats good news for the Oktober tests - looks like snowHeads could have the place to ourselves.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@spyderjon, I would be surprised if they would have ski tests with social distancing... might be worth checking in with them... Race training and Instructor exams have been put on hold
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:
@spyderjon, I would be surprised if they would have ski tests with social distancing... might be worth checking in with them......

Admin is on the case but I can't see any problem with running the ski test event and adhering to social distancing - especially as its scheduled for mid Oct when things might be relaxed further.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
having been (in a limited way) in discussions around other companies opening their offices, there are lot's of other considerations which I am sure they are dealing with.

Doors/Lifts - no formal recommendation from HM GOV as yet but for high traffic areas suggestions are that these should potentially be serviced either in terms of operation or cleansing. So somebody either opens a (non-automatic) door for you or ensures it's sanitised every time it's used. Same for lift (as in elevator) buttons.

Will they be doing similar for POMA's so will someone be spraying or wiping down each button lift at the top of the slope.

There will presumably have to be a 'sterile' area for pole collection and drop off.

May have to adopt a 'non clothes hire' policy. Boots probably won't be an issue as they can be sanitised and cycled a bit slower, but may have to consider the popular sizes in terms of throughput.

I think it's all a bit over the top, but then I'm not high risk and a little more relaxed over the whole thing. Though I have been obeying the guidelines pretty rigidly anyway.
snow report
No clothing rentals and bringing your own equipment is highly recommended, skis etc will be sanitised
snow report
The CFe have sent an email out to members explaining some of the things to expect when they open; one of which is no changing cubicles and no lockers. Puzzled
ski holidays
Awdbugga wrote:
The CFe have sent an email out to members explaining some of the things to expect when they open; one of which is no changing cubicles and no lockers. Puzzled

Well you could always put your ski pants/salopettes on at home before you set off to CFe, there's no need to wear your ski jacket in the car. I'm sure a resourceful ex-Serviceman like yourself will find a way to manage. wink
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, I never used the cubicles anyway. I’m not overly keen on leaving all my gear and valuables in the car though.
latest report
Transmission by smear is rare for C19.

The majority of C19 is transmission by droplet and aerosol by proximity.

An out-of-breath rider stops at the lift and breathes heavily, spit will flyout, and they are gonna dump a massive viral load in your face.

You will be dead in 2 weeks.

Smart folks who go indoor-skiing will wear a facemask, goggles, and shield (visor).

The shield is critical to stop a big viral load.

Rub or spray antifog gel (like Speedo) into the goggles and shield.

Take care when fitting, wearing, and removing the facemask, goggles, and shield.

Do not touch the outsides.

Dispose gently (no shaking) in a throwaway plastic bag.

snow conditions
@Awdbugga, heard of such a thing as a small rucksack or bum bag? Even large pockets?
If you could do more than 2 hours, I'd be more annoyed at having either to carry or go to the car for drink and snacks (if you need 'em).
snow conditions
Yeah, but walking from the far end of the car park in ski boots.
snow report
@Oleski, eh? 100 mtrs?
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, every meter hurts
ski holidays
@Oleski, race fit...
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
... An out-of-breath rider stops at the lift...You will be dead in 2 weeks. ...
It's an indoor slope.
I doubt I could get out of breath on it if I did circuits with running back up the slope and sliding down.
Silly billy.
ski holidays
Oooh, looking forward to the Hemel feedback Little Angel

Have hated the chill factore but really looking forward to it opening up. filled in the survey, I have clear goggles, I’ll wear a face mask. If we keep ski lengths apart at lifts we’re effectively distanced in a straight line. It’ll be fine, in fact it’ll be utterly brilliant...
Now, just need to decide where to get the skis waxed...
ski holidays
kittya wrote:
Oooh, looking forward to the Hemel feedback Little Angel

Have hated the chill factore but really looking forward to it opening up. filled in the survey, I have clear goggles, I’ll wear a face mask. If we keep ski lengths apart at lifts we’re effectively distanced in a straight line. It’ll be fine, in fact it’ll be utterly brilliant...
Now, just need to decide where to get the skis waxed...

Time to start doing it yourself?

I have 3 pairs still to service, this news is helping to spur me on to get them done. Been struggling with time during this lockdown as been juggling full time work and children being excluded from school. Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Re max. numbers inside the fridge at Hemel: IMO only 60 max will turn out to have been conservative in the end, but it's where one would responsibly start from.

So I hope they'll increase from 60, as soon as they have a bit of experience of how it works out in practice.

For info, below is what the Hemel slope looked like, on the afternoon of Thursday 31st October 2019, taken from a 4 hour video recording.
I was there a fair bit last year, made a fair number of video recordings, and I believe this was not atypical.
I imagine they'll have taken account of the evidence from their own video.

The count in my still looks like:

14 on the left poma;
14 on the right poma;
08 on the slope;
07 queuing for the left poma;
07 queuing for right poma, est.;

So that's ~50 people.
Plus say 10 more, standing at the top of the slope, although a lot of people do normally stand there for a long time for unfathomable reasons.

So 60 people actually on the snow.

People look well distanced to me in general.
I imagine the real problems would be elsewhere, other than actually inside the fridge.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 13-06-20 14:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Fat George, the photo brings the numbers into context, I recon the riding will be great but the hassle will be booking far enough in advance to ensure you can get in...
ski holidays
@skimottaret :: Agreed!

A couple of small marquees in the car park, so that one could strip down and change there if needed, in a distanced and non-offensive way, could work for more hardy souls.
I'd go for it if that's what they did.

If everyone was issued with 2 metre skis it'd go a long way to solving the distancing problem.
latest report
Fat George wrote:
If everyone was issued with 2 metre skis it'd go a long way to solving the distancing problem.

2 metre skis? Pah! What they need for social distancing is longboards Laughing Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/Z0bpYGUfsdI
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
2 metre skis? Pah! What they need for social distancing is longboards Laughing Laughing
Shocked

Do those ol' boys ever turn?
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
Shocked

Do those ol' boys ever turn?

Sure, the guy in red at about 4:30 in the video does a right turn at the end. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
Sure, the guy in red at about 4:30 in the video does a right turn at the end. Madeye-Smiley
Laughing I think the Titanic turned more quickly! Think of the bragging rights in the cablecar though...
snow report
So I am really keen to get back to Braehead, but apart from anything else it is more than 5 miles away so current Scottish Government (who appear to be particularly paranoid) regs stop me doing that etc etc so we cannot even go for a walk in the countryside at the moment m. However, there have been a number of local outbreaks in the U.K. and other countries in meat packing plants that have at least some similar conditions to indoor slopes. Anyone got any views on implications, if any?
snow conditions
Ski lots wrote:
However, there have been a number of local outbreaks in the U.K. and other countries in meat packing plants that have at least some similar conditions to indoor slopes.

Really? Apart from being cold? Have they replaced the Pomas with hooks at Braehead?
snow report
Strangely not and I was just raising the question generally not just about Braehead. However, cold; confined space; little if any circulation of fresh air; hard surfaces (skis/boards, poles, lifts). Having worked in both, although 30 years apart, there are unfortunately some similarities.
snow conditions
Ski lots wrote:
So I am really keen to get back to Braehead, but apart from anything else it is more than 5 miles away so current Scottish Government (who appear to be particularly paranoid) regs stop me doing that etc etc so we cannot even go for a walk in the countryside at the moment m. However, there have been a number of local outbreaks in the U.K. and other countries in meat packing plants that have at least some similar conditions to indoor slopes. Anyone got any views on implications, if any?

See post above.

An indoor skislope is just a big fridge with people puffing and panting out spit everywhere.

It is a very highrisk zone.

Like a meat fridge.

Meat fridges (like KFC chicken) are currently seeing massive fresh outbreaks of the plague in UK, Germany, US and elsewhere.

Cold air + spit = virus incubator.

Wear a mask, shield, goggles, and gloves.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
... Do those ol' boys ever turn?
Turning is succumbing to fear.

The powder 11s are not for those of faint heart.

Those who think size is an advantage clearly have no idea what they're talking about.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy