Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hintertux then and now.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My first trip to Hintertux in summer was was around 1993, I wish I had started taking a set of standard pictures then of the view from the Tuxerferhaus as I have been back at least once a year since. I just had a look through some old pictures and found a few from 2003 almost a decade later. I remember in the early years that there was a small tunnel going into the glacier not far from that point, a 100m or so over to the right which did not last for very long.

This collage is looking uphill from the TFH, June 11th 2003, plenty off snow and full width coverage.

By June 25th, all the snow had melted off this lower section and all that remained was full width crunchy blue ice (not untypical for summer), there was still plenty snow on the top sections but on the night before our last day it snowed again. The glacier extended over the full width of this part with no rocks showing through in the middle.

Looking back down at the TFH cafe.

Looking across the base of the glacier on left, TFH on the right.

Fast forward to July 2020, surprisingly there was still good snow coverage and no bare ice sections, however a massive amount of ice has gone. Quite a dramatic change over the 17 year period.

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So sad @JimboS, thank you for the history. Interesting though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great pics. My first visit was September 1990 - with full snow cover down to Tuxer Fernerhaus & the glacier extending to just below that point.

It was shown like that on the 1990s hiking map - which I had until I left it in a mountain hut three years ago rolling eyes The current map shows the glacier clearly above Tuxer F.

Still a great glacier. Enjoy it while we can Confused
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
First time summer Htux was in 1986. The Gefrorene Wand was completely under ice. Now I'm not even sure whether it's covered in winter. Likewise, the ice went past the Tuxerfernerhaus as far down as the Spannagelhaus. Now it ends more than 100m above the Fernerhaus... sad to see.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On a more positive note, here is Tux on a good day. Now where did I shoot this pics from on the 6th April 2010.

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was thinking the top of Wanglespitz chair or from piste 66??
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Close, Heidi´s Hütte under Lammerbichl with the a x12 optical zoom.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The zoom is impressive quality. Had me stumped for a while.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My first time ever on skis was Hintertux in August 1985 and it was the beginning of a love affair with the mountains. We drove from the Midlands with the AA book of roadmaps and when we got to Austria we headed towards Mayrhofen as we knew that was a ski resort ( hubby had been there a few times), then kept driving til we ran out of road! There was one hotel and little else. I returned last year and barely recognised it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy