Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hintertux verse Kaprun

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Iam toying if things are ok with this Covid crisis to Austria of trying to fit in a short break to either resort in mid November .I have not not been to either for some 20 + years,so was wondering which was the most challenging and most reliable snow. This I know can be a matter of luck on the week .This time of year it will be on the glacier .From what I know of other glacier resorts and reading the piste maps of similar resorts ,Stubai, Piztal they have the most variety.
I know from experience the cold and wind can be brutal on glaciers that time of year, just the luck of the draw on what one gets.
There are lots of S/H who know the areas,was wondering what their take on either resort.
Looking at videos of Kaprun/Kitsteinhorn in the right conditions,look like they have some excellent terrain with marked freeride routes wether this will ok in mid Nov ?. Reading some reports crevasess can be a problem at Hintertux not so much at kaprun.
Looking forward to peoples comments.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Of the two I think Hintertux tends to have more variety at that time of year.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hintertux for me every time, but can be rammed at times.

Hot weather on the 29th October.

View from the TFH.

Car park carnage!

One week later....

No visibility and what felt like -20.

Snow line a 1000m lower with snow in the car park.

A few snowheads here.

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've skied both although not in November. For me Hintertux has much better and more interesting terrain than Kaprun.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you Everybody.
From all the posts, Hintertux definitely has the edge, the car park looks pretty rammed,but once up the mountain ques will start thinning out. being a summer resort as well, a lot of cars will be made up of non skiers/boarders. Nothing like a bit of first hand knowlegde. The kitsteinhorn has the terrain,but looks like good snow cover needed, as looks pretty wind exposed on some ridges
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Stubai is another option to consider.
Also Cervinia/Zermatt if conditions in Italy are better.
I often ski on glaciers mid Nov. Everything depends on year and snow conditions which can be different from year to year.
I would shift to end of November beginning of December as it become less busy with racers, monitor the weather forecast and go last minute to the place where conditions as better.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Highly unlikely Kaprun freeride routes will be open that early (based on December visits over a number of years). That said I've always enjoyed early season warm up there.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It depends on when in November you plan to go, by the end of Nov, most routes above the AlpinCentre at Kaprun will be open (subject to snowfall), but only at weekends. During the week fewer lifts will be running due to low numbers of skiers. By the end of Nov as well some of the runs at the other local resorts (Zell, Saalbach, Kitzbuhel) will be open if snow is good at weekends

My advice, book at last minute, go at End of Nov or first weekend in Dec and watch the snowfall at Kaprun & Hintertux
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mid Nov Hintertux generally has all the terrain above Tuxer Fernerhaus open by early Nov. We have been for the last few years in mid Nov and it’s hit and miss. Some years we have had powder and other years ice. Good mix of steep and not so steep. Almost no beginner slopes.

The only problem is the Czech national holiday mid Nov which creates busy pistes and lift queues (and very full car parks with overflow parks being used! So avoid). Two years ago they had everything down to the Sommerbergalm open. The ski routes are unlikely to be open. Black run at the top (and offpiste eitherside) usually open but often we see crevasses at the bottom so stick to piste marker early season.

On mountain restaurants normally limited to the Tuxerfernerhaus so book a table if you want table service.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The other place I would recommend is Solden. Two glaciers. We had an excellent Nov trip there.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hintertux.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always go to Kaprun in November for a few days, not too busy and really enjoyable. By early December, top of Zell am See and Leogang are open so another two fairly empty resorts worth visiting in the region.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy