Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Petition to keep snowsports open.

Poster: A snowHead
http://chng.it/p6cTDsZTGM

God knows if these things make any difference but lets try!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Think I would prefer not & to help limit the spread of the virus
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree with Mr.Egg Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You are welcome to your opinion. I know the impact last lock down had on my daughter that she has been crawling back out that pit and the only thing that helped was skiing and learning to snowboard. She is no way near out the woods yet. We are paying for counselling they recommend she get anti depressants- I was concerned about that but followed through with GP to be told they don’t prescribe them without them going through CAMHS. So now I am waiting game. It took over year for my youngest to be seen by CAMHS (suspected ASD referral) in a time when we hadn’t just hammered the mental health of our children and adolescents. I will fight for it as best I can.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NickyJ, What stage is your daughter at with regards to her snowboarding? If you have space, and it was something that interested her, maybe look at a setup along the lines of the Snowboard Addiction board. It's obviously freestyle orientated, but does help with balance and confidence on a board.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Sitter, is that something which she can do at home?

She is just learning to link her turns.

Richard_Sideways has passed on a board from a friend of his which has been using last few times she has gone.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NickyJ, yes it can be done from home, depending on space. The SA set up is quite pricey, but I know of people who have used an old skateboard deck and straps, or if you have some old carpet could just use the board you have. For more advanced home-based snowboarding, have a look at what Stu_Heinz_Switchup (on Insta) got up to in his garden during lockdown!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Sitter, thanks will look into this!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NickyJ, hopefully it's something that might help keep her a little further away from that pit edge.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How about skateboarding, @NickyJ? Would that appeal to her?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@NickyJ, Have you got a slackline? Great way to learn balance and practice for many sports - skiing, ice skating etc. Our ski coach often sets one up for his training camps.

Skiing & skating rather than snow-boarding related but potentially still fun for all the family - slideboards are also another indoor/home-based way to train.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@NickyJ, I'm also a rugby coach at U14 level, and we're fully expecting an announcement tomorrow which will close us down again. There are a couple of our team who will suffer as a result, and none of them will be happy about it, but it's a national measure aimed to target the greater good.

You have my sympathies that this isn't the best for your individual circumstances. I would hope that there is support out there which will be stepped up over the lockdown period, but sadly I suspect that this is not the case. Like all bad times, we have to find a way through it by looking to the other side and trying to ease the way towards it, but it is easy for me to say that when I don't have to cope with the consequences. Good luck with it - if there is any way for me personally or us as a forum to help, don't be afraid to ask.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My kids start back at cadets tonight. Dosen't really seem much point in it ??
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:

Good thinking. I "teach" my daughter with the instruction I got for snowboard to ride a long board on gently sloping tarmac carparks. They seem to respond the same.

Also, a mountain board has many of the skills aquired in snowboarding, my nephew came from this discipline into riding on snow. A friends son is similar in psychological outlook to your daughter and really enjoys doing this one.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snowdave, thanks will research this as well. Will try anything to see if we can get her engaging with it. Will also try and attempt myself as will need exercises to replace those I have been doing in the gym
ski holidays
ski3 wrote:
pam w wrote:

Good thinking. I "teach" my daughter with the instruction I got for snowboard to ride a long board on gently sloping tarmac carparks. They seem to respond the same.

Also, a mountain board has many of the skills aquired in snowboarding, my nephew came from this discipline into riding on snow. A friends son is similar in psychological outlook to your daughter and really enjoys doing this one.

Ooh will look into that as well. Thanks
latest report
@ousekjarr, We got a message yesterday that the juniors Rugby training is on hold until the next U-turn.
latest report
@ski3, not being a snowboarder myself, can you ride a mountain board using similar techniques to Snowboarding?

Looking at some on eBay at the moment.
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
@ski3, not being a snowboarder myself, can you ride a mountain board using similar techniques to Snowboarding?

Looking at some on eBay at the moment.

Yes, the stance balance and control are the same. The snowboard is effectively much more slippery, sounds odd and not very concise, but true. You've got that 3rd dimension of sliding sideways on snow that comes to a mountain board more when speed and skill build sufficiently that you'd "skid" it more.

The important thing about starting on a mountain board is to keep the gradient very very low so that the pace is manageable, but any gently sloping grassy space will do. It literally rides like the snowboard does on it's edges as the deck leans into cornering with the wheels turning that very effectively mimics the side cut of a snow board.

There used to be a mountain board centre at Redhill ( went there with nephew) just like a mountain in topography, and complete with rope tow.

They are effectively graded as snowboard too, with more advanced boards getting stiifer with geometry of wheels the same. I'd view them as a land based equivalent.
ski holidays
I believe there is (was) a similar push to keep golf courses open that has been successful.
ski holidays
I went mountain boarding a few times at Redhill (assume there are other sites). Main difference is in stopping by really aggressively having to reach down and grab your downhill (toeside) edge. Plus wearing lower arm protection for the bumps and scrapes from doing the same. Downhill riding and wider turns felt generally pretty similar.
snow report
A "world" mountain boarding competition was held in Les Saisies some years ago, when we were there. There was only one female rider - an Italian - who became world champion. If I'd entered I'd have been runner up! It's a very messy, male sort of an environment - not a bit glamorous or cool. Though that wasn't the reason I didn't enter.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
A "world" mountain boarding competition was held in Les Saisies some years ago, when we were there. There was only one female rider - an Italian - who became world champion. If I'd entered I'd have been runner up! It's a very messy, male sort of an environment - not a bit glamorous or cool. Though that wasn't the reason I didn't enter.

Laughing
ski holidays
garfmiller wrote:
I believe there is (was) a similar push to keep golf courses open that has been successful.

I can't find any info on that on the PGA site. Where did you hear?
latest report
garfmiller wrote:

Golf courses are specifically included in the list of venues which have to close. Where have you seen anything different? (not that I care...)
snow report
ousekjarr wrote:
garfmiller wrote:

Golf courses are specifically included in the list of venues which have to close. Where have you seen anything different? (not that I care...)

Golf Monthly - perhaps not a petition per OP and I realise not necessarily a direct comparison.

Link:
https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/reports-suggest-england-golf-courses-could-stay-open-during-lockdown-210571
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I went mountain boarding a few times at Redhill (assume there are other sites). Main difference is in stopping by really aggressively having to reach down and grab your downhill (toeside) edge. Plus wearing lower arm protection for the bumps and scrapes from doing the same. Downhill riding and wider turns felt generally pretty similar.

Yes, they can get a fair old pace going there can't they? and need more advanced skills to moderate.

For starter's, as mentioned above, gradient is key. Just enough to more or less regulate speed almost without trying on a grass slope is absolutely ideal to build turning skill along with confidence.

Actually, thinking about it has got me looking at them as we've plenty of varying grass gradient locally suited to lockdown compliant "excercise".
May have to make an entry into the "what have you spent your savings on " thread.
snow report
ousekjarr wrote:
garfmiller wrote:

Technically Golf Clubs have to close not courses, and it's something our board were looking in to.

The petition has seen over 250k signatures, and by the sounds of things is something being discussed this week. Have read that alongside Tennis, golf is looking optimistic.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swskier, I definitely read ‘golf courses’ (and bizarrely, driving ranges), but I certainly hope that ‘golf club’ becomes a workable loophole.
snow report
Went through this with golf courses in NZ during the lockdown. Government wouldn't let the greenkeepers go to work. Nightmare, 6 weeks with no maintenance. They saw sense in the end, but it was really hard.

Then there were a few weeks of only single players being allowed to play a round, meaning 25% capacity to go for a walk round a course, with everybody wanting to get a game. Tee bookings were a nightmare, and lots of cost meaning everything ran at a significant loss, which a lot of smaller courses/clubs couldn't wear.
ski holidays
Quote:

Nightmare, 6 weeks with no maintenance

Shocked
Sheer ignorance!

Fortunately we didn’t have that problem. I was there for the reopening and the course was immaculate. A week later, it was FUBAR’d with huge divots...not just mine.
snow report
@AL9000, Being a nation of keen hunters, there were quite a few people driving greens mowers with night vision goggles on dark nights Very Happy
ski holidays
One would have thought after 6 months, the government could have at least figured out some of the more obvious outdoor activities such as golf post relatively low risk of spreading the virus and can allow them to stay open. But instead, so many countries are again doing the blunt instrument of "lockdown" instead of a more focused and effective restrictions.

What's the matter with these national governments? It's not just a UK thing either.
snow conditions
abc wrote:
One would have thought after 6 months, the government could have at least figured out some of the more obvious outdoor activities such as golf post relatively low risk of spreading the virus and can allow them to stay open.

Dont forget that this UK government didn't allow cricket for a good while in the early summer. Not too many team sports have social distancing more easily done. (But did allow very quickly professional football, deeper pockets, better lobbyists?).

Junior hockey is gone, but they dont mark each other that well at the moment to get a good dose. Waiting to hear about rowing, coxed boats must have the biggest risk. And school rugby also still to declare, they've been training in the hope of playing other schools at some point.
snow report
https://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/ceo-statement-covid-19/

The English governing body is lobbying for snowsport to remain open. WTch that space Puzzled
snow report
AL9000 wrote:
@swskier, I definitely read ‘golf courses’ (and bizarrely, driving ranges), but I certainly hope that ‘golf club’ becomes a workable loophole.

Looking online i'm seeing golf courses, the message that came through to the group team chat was they'd found golf clubs online, so not sure.

Either way, it's so easy to social distance on a golf course, it makes no real sense to close them. Especially if you can play with 1 other, just make sure one hits a fade and one hits a draw, easy Laughing
ski holidays
Certainly seems sensible to keep golf courses open. It's November anyway so it's not like they'll be swamped...
snow conditions
Pastorius wrote:
Certainly seems sensible to keep golf courses open. It's November anyway so it's not like they'll be swamped...

Laughing
ski holidays
Pastorius wrote:

Depends on your definition of swamped. Laughing
I've a tee booked today and am expecting it to be pretty wet.
ski holidays
I played last Friday and there was a lot of club cleaning going on!

On a more practical note, I think the government won't open golf courses, just to keep things simple. They want a total lockdown, hard and nasty no exceptions, just go to work then go home and stay in, they're desperate for Christmas to go ahead. Which may work out well for my January ski trip...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy