Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1st family ski trip

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, first post alert!!
We are currently planning our first family ski holiday (three families together actually, kids aged 5-9).. adults have all skied before but kids only ever on dry slopes so looking somewhere that suits them primarily.
Unfortunately its feb half term so busy everywhere, but looking advice on resorts that are/have:
1. Accessible kid friendly skiing
2. As less busy as possible for feb ht week!
3. Larger 12+ chalets

Flight options are either Geneva or Grenoble so have been looking at PDS and L2A as nice S/C Chalets seem reasonable, Montriond has a few lovely chalets but transfers in and out with 6 kids each day maybe more hassle than worth especially for kids 1st trip.

All advice welcomed Smile
Chris
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know friends who have been going to Flaine for years with big groups and lots of kids. They all have separate apartments but get together to eat dinner. The accommodation is so central to the skiing that everyone meets up in the apartments for lunch after the kids have had lessons, and then go out and ski together in the afternoon. Very easy transfer from Geneva.
We've done PDS lots because we had a chalet we could use cheaply, but it was a pain with kids lessons because of having to be on the same bit of the mountain for lesson pickup and drop off, so we couldn't really explore very far.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Beunos, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Do you plan to take transfers from airport to the mountains? Or vehicle hire?

Just that vehicle rental might open up more options, including places that are slightly less busy in February half term.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i would vote for a small french village with child friendly facilities with good accommodation choices nice village centre with shops and restaurants with links to a bigger area , somewhere like Les Coches near La Plagne and part of paradiski so connected to a huge area
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another vote for Flaine (despite being a PdS fan now our kids are older). Beginners slopes right in the village, easy to meet up for lunch, short transfer.

If you went for Montriond (which we like) then you’re relying on buses to get you up to Ardent (which is a great place to enter the PdS), and we found they were a bit unreliable and busy (this was end of Feb). They always arrive, but rarely at the advertised time! I’d look to have your own transport to get up and down to Ardent (and to the shops if you’re self-catering).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have you looked at La Clusaz? Nice town with a weekly farmers' market and short transfer time from Geneva. Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the replies, plan is to hire car from airport to give us more options slightly out of resort as trying to get a chalet big enough for all of us (13).

Flaine looked perfect for convenience to slopes but struggled to get larger accomodation so may need to think about individual apts and meeting up for food.

La Clusaz seems nice, hadnt heard much of it before so will open a full investigation!! (likewise Les Coches)

Thanks again
Chris
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Beunos, with that sort of number I would expect private transfers with Alps 2 Alps to work out more cost effective than car hire.

I can recommend somewhere big enough for your group in Serre Chevalier, or Radstadt but isn’t a match for your airport choices.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Look at the resorts that the major British tour operators go to. Then exclude those resorts from your search and look at the resorts that we Brits don't flock to in huge numbers in our half term. Loads of places in Italy & Austria would give you a fantastic holiday. DIY really easy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+ For Flaine, although not loads of restaurants in the "forum".
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
biggest problem you will have is finding a big enough chalet in a central location or close to ski school.
Being somewhere in a small village linked to a large ski area will be a ball ache with kids who can't ski yet.

have you looked at http://www.les-balcons.co.uk/ options - maybe Val Cenis? They are usually also on Sunweb with a ski lift as well
other options apart from Val Cenis could be st martin de bellville
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Beunos, separate apartments does have positives where kids are concerned - sometimes it's better to have your own space and meet up as and when. And certainly easier to find (and surprisingly often cheaper) to get smaller apartments.

We've done a lot of trips to Les Coches. And it has a lot going for it. But with young kids it's more than you need skiing wise. But that may depend on how much the adults want/can do.

We've never been at half term - going at Christmas and when the school breaks up in March/April instead.

Here are all our trip reports for background.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would also suggest separate but neighbouring accommodation. After lots of exercise and excitement for a few days, people get tired and arguments start. Can kill the mood.

The more you all concentrate on the children having a good time, and the less you think you personally will have great skiing, the better will be your memories. Ask me how I know... then next year will be awesome.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great help again everyone,
@Layne[/b] thats a helluva write up on your past trips, makes a great reading and lots of good info.
Just over 6 months
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Beunos, our kids are all grown up now, although we still ski as a family every year. Here are a few hints from years gone by:

- Maybe consider Easter rather than half term? Cheaper, less busy, warmer and the snow will be fine for learning. Probably less risky from a covid-19 perspective, too.

- Go small. You want a resort where everything is in easy walking distance for the youngest child: chalet, ski school, hire shop, lifts, cafes, etc.

- Simple slopes: the smaller and simpler the ski area the better. You can regroup more easily and kids are less likely to get lost.

- Stay next to the slopes. Kids often want/need to go back to your accommodation - tiredness, forgotten kit, tearfulness, sore feet. You'll all be happier if it's easy.

- No crowds: Kids and crowds of straightlining Brits Abroad attempting to set a new max speed on Strava are a Bad Mix.

- Maybe self-cater: kids like to eat familiar food at familiar times, and you can interleave adult cooking/eating with bedtime stories, etc more easily.

As others have said, a small French resort would be perfect. Ste Foy, maybe? There are many others, though. Avoid big name resorts at all costs and keep that pleasure for a few years' time.

Just my experience FWIW.
ski holidays
Thanks Jonny, all great suggestions, proximity to slopes a must due to it being their first time.
Never heard of Ste Foy so will add it to the list and look into.
Very Happy
snow conditions
Hi Beunos
Plenty of good advice here .. Jonny Jones has it spot on.

We did our first family ski holiday with these guys four years ago - https://www.snowbizz.co.uk/
They're family run with fantastic childcare... You get in the elevator and drop the kids with the 'Pink Ladies' (All of whom are training to work with children) at 9am and pick them up at 12.
The lessons are ESF but exclusively English speaking so you really get your monies worth. There's also a kids club in the evening - I think it's an extra £50 pound per child for the week which can add up but the kids do have a lot of fun.
PSV is a smallish and very friendly resort with a reasonably short transfer time from Turin. You can sort your own travel too.
The apartments are self catering with the option to book the weeks evening meals at a local restaurant and they're right on the slopes. Because the apartment block is at the 1600 station it's simple to get to if you need to re group.
They've expanded their outbound airports this year too which has been all the encouragement we needed to book again this coming season.
Skiing wise there's something for everyone - Tree lined slopes, at least one very fast red long red, a large bowl, a couple of proper (if a little short) black runs and a lot of off piste though I haven't explored that aspect as yet. The passes are the cheapest I know of and the lessons are reasonable too.
We've tried Esprit in La Rosiere which was very nice but even though we had the cheapest possible chalet it still came in at a substantially dearer price and the childcare was a bit hit and miss too (A few too many gap year types for my liking) so I personally wouldn't recommend them over Snowbizz.

Hope this helps
latest report
SnowBizz at Puy Saint Vincent were very good for very young children, and their evening kids club was superb. All in the same building, with genuine ski-in/out. Transfer from Turin is 3 hours though.

For all slightly older kids, Rabbit Club/ESF in Flaine worked out great for our 6 year olds.
snow report
@charrison, Horses for courses I suppose but ours were 6 (Twin girls) when we went and they weren't the youngest there but I have to agree about the kids age range it's literally zero and up. . They'll be ten this time but they love looking out for younger children so they'll be plenty happy even if they're the oldest. Quite a few families were frequent returners too.
I think the strength of the snowbizz thing is it's an all in package. Their reps are very helpful at the airports plus the baggage allowance is massive, and the shops and restuarants are on your doorstep as is ski school/hire. I guess it'd be nice if they had a more all day catered option but personally I prefer self catering. The transfer time is advertised as 2hrs 20. I'm pretty sure our return was only about two as it was early morning. As all the kids in the OP's group are just learning they'll benefit from the attentive tutoring too - small groups all in english.
One thing I will say is the apartments are a bit tired inside and of course like most places - quite pokey.
ski holidays
Hello
I can't speak to the specific resorts you're looking at but can offer advice based on own family.

Own space is priceless, kids and parents will be tired and cranky at some point. You can all have the family meltdowns in private and then head out meet up.

Short transfer time. Unless you need a hire car, don't bother. Pay extra for a private transfer. If it boils down to money buy cheaper booze when you're away. I think car hire will be more expensive post covid, as rental companies reduce fleet.

Ski school, ideally up the mountain so parents can check in if they're skiing as well as meeting for lunch up on the hill.

And finally, you'll find mornings quite entertaining, it's the only holiday you'll set the alarm at something before 7.

It's great fun, really.
ski holidays
Hello
I can't speak to the specific resorts you're looking at but can offer advice based on own family.

Own space is priceless, kids and parents will be tired and cranky at some point. You can all have the family meltdowns in private and then head out meet up.

Short transfer time. Unless you need a hire car, don't bother. Pay extra for a private transfer. If it boils down to money buy cheaper booze when you're away. I think car hire will be more expensive post covid, as rental companies reduce fleet.

Ski school, ideally up the mountain so parents can check in if they're skiing as well as meeting for lunch up on the hill.

And finally, you'll find mornings quite entertaining, it's the only holiday you'll set the alarm at something before 7.

It's great fun, really.
ski holidays
Just a hint on getting a place close to somewhere for ski school. Make sure you can get to ski school in time. If it’s 15 mins away for you then it’s 30-45 mins for the kids and lifts may not start that early. For lessons at 9.15 we got up at 7, had breakfast in hotel, get changed, everyone to the toilet, collect your ski stuff and get to drop off point. 2 hours for 8-12 year olds Smile
snow report
I'll second the comment about self catering. Took the children to Andorra (great), s/c, as we had already been warned about Spanish eating hours. Their restaurants open at the time our children would be getting into bed! S/c, soup and bread or a simple pasta, we were fine for 6 days.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy